Shaken Not Stirred

Sunday, May 09, 2004

Welcome To Our World, Welcome to Our World, Welcome to Our World of Toys!

The theme from Fao Schwartz.

Do I sound selfish when I ask why there isn't a children's day? I mean we celebrate fathers, mothers, grandparents, presidents and even secretaries. But I don't recall there ever being a bonafide Children's Day. It isn't for the presents. It's to celebrate the fact that children have survived the tolls of being someone's child. I'm not downplaying the role of parents in the upbringing and raising of their child. But I'm saying that the good children should be rewarded for being that--good. A child should be recognized for bringing happiness into their parents lives. They should be recognized for being a joy.

Many people forget that it's hard to live up to a parent's expectations. It's difficult to try and follow someone else's ideals, morals and views while trying to discover themselves. Oh the pressure. I'm speaking of course about being an Asian child! I'm not stereo-typing or even trying to create an image in your head concerning typical Asian life. It does seem to me that most Asian children have a lot of pressure put on them to "excel" or to "get ahead". Then there is the pressure of holding onto culture, while assimilating into American society. Don't even get me started on that issue. And for most Asian children, it becomes not only our duty, but our sole purpose in life...to be an object of glory for our parents. We will never stop being their "children". Even when we have children of our own, we still must obey and live up to their expectations.

So why don't we have a Children's Day?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home