Shaken Not Stirred

Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Out of Touch, Out of Time

I recently returned from a trip to New York City. I had left my laptop thinking it too bulky to bring along on such a short weekend trip and also cause I assummed that I would have computer access at the hotel. My assumption did not pay off (remember the teenage saying--"don't assume, you make an ass out of you and me). Well, to make a long story short, I could not access my blog to keep it updated and answer my email (although not as important since most people only forward jokes and chain-letters now). I think what hurt me the most, was an innability to read the news or to look up anything I heard during table conversation.

The reason for the trip was for my cousin's ordination into priesthood. My cousin Father Dave Sison is now a priest. And my family is so proud of him. There was a huge celebration and the Lord blessed us with a spectacularly beautiful day (not a cloud in the sky).

Now back to my selfish world or "it's all about me". I can't believe how out of touch I felt with the world. It's not like I have always had internet access. I use to read my morning newspaper on black and white printed recycled paper. If I wanted a late-breaking news report, I would turn on the television. Opinions were freely given during happy hour. Now, I feel better if I can look up the news on Google or by doing a web search. Without this access, I was lost the whole weekend. I had nothing to discuss with my fellow relatives and I felt like I was back on the islands for medical school.

Needless to say, I'm back. I won't ever let my laptop out of site. Unless of course, my family does decide to splurge and get me that Blackberry for my birthday. Hint!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home