Shaken Not Stirred

Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Time Changes Nothing

I met up with a friend of mine, whom I haven't seen in years. We've been friends since we were two years old. Imagine that, building a friendship while learning to talk, tie your shoes and eat with utensils, going thru puberty, girlfriends, driver's licenses, college and for him marriage and three kids. For me? Going to medical school on a tropical island. It survived all those hurdles!

He's got three kids now. And I can see in each one of them a contribution from his personality. It's amazing! I'm still baffled by it all. When we were younger, I never thought our lives would take the routes they have taken. He was a bully--not a true bully, maybe just head strong. No not head strong, definitely a bully (but he didn't draw blood from any punches--he just left bruises). I have no idea what he thought of me. He did use the words "snobby uptight prep" a lot though. Maybe that is putting it delicately. He used other more descriptive and less flowery words. Descriptions which he sometimes got scolded for and even grounded for using. To this day, his vocabulary can sometimes use some censoring. But he's an awesome father. I see him with his children and the images of nuggies, rats tail whippings and head locks completely dissolve. And his kids are nothing at all like the obnoxious child he was. Although he did whisper that one of his kids tested new levels of patience.

The wild thing about everything is that he never really changed. Deep down inside, he is still the aggressive, overbearing buddy that use to climb trees with me (I'm not sure we really ever climbed them. We did however cut a few branches down to make a clubhouse), took tennis lessons with me (although we never played against one another, he knew I could beat him hands down) and discussed all the chicks who had crushes on him (the words male slut take on meaning with his past). He will always be my best friend, not matter where our journeys take us. Yes, this is the monumental cheese moment. And hopefully that will go until we once again in old age have to relearn to tie our shoes, eat with utensils and learn to balance ourselves all over again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home