Shaken Not Stirred

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Back From the Slack

Yes, I've been gone for quite awhile. Lots of things going on this week, but my brain is pure mush.

On Monday, I drove back from Florida to West Virginia!!! Very exciting for me since I got to leave the hot temperate climate of Florida. I've been down there staying at my parent's summer home studying. It was a good way to get away from my friends and family and to concentrate. I may have gone a little stir crazy hearing the sound of my own voice bounce off the walls. Pure lonliness, except for the few people I met at the gym. Those people were my social life for the last three months and I think I learned more about myself talking to them on the treadmill then I did about them. Funny how talking to strangers, you learn more about yourself.

On my way back, I got a flat tire. I have no idea what I ran over, didn't feel the bump. I do remember the "pop", which I thought was the truck beside me. But as I pulled away from the truck, the smell of burning rubber clued me in. I pulled over and noticed that my back right tire was shredded to bits.

It didn't take long for Triple AAA to come to the rescue. I got off the phone with them at 9, they were at my side before 9:30 and I was on the road before 10. I know I should learn to change a tire myself. It would have saved me some trouble, but I had a 13 hour trip ahead of me (I don't like stopping overnight anywhere and usually make the trip in one day).

Since I was alone, one of my friends kept me company via cell phone. We talked thru three states. I owe her one!!!!!

Anyway, sorry about the slacking off. This is all I've got for right now. My brain needs time to rest and then I'll be able to write something more exciting.

P.S. Michelle, I left the pushy door-to-door salesman in Florida.

19 Comments:

  • Sounds like an adventure, and now nice to be back, I'm sure...

    By Blogger Cathy, at 8:30 PM  

  • I wish my folks had a summer home. No use changing the tire if you have AAA, they can do if mush faster.

    By Blogger Big Ben, at 11:44 PM  

  • sure you didn't run over an animal? not even a small one??!!

    or it could have been those nails i left in the middle of the road.

    i'm weird like that you know :)

    happy to "see" you back!

    m

    By Blogger mollymcmo, at 12:17 AM  

  • What would a road trip be without a little adventure? Glad that you made it safe and sound.

    By Blogger :P fuzzbox, at 12:06 PM  

  • "Funny how talking to strangers, you learn more about yourself"
    So true :-)
    Even more so because they are unbiased and may look at you from a completely different view point...

    By Blogger Wriju, at 1:44 PM  

  • I haven't changed a tire in years, but I suppose I could if I had to, gulp.

    The one time I called Triple A, it was 2:30 a.m. on a February night, somewhere on I80 -- I think around Indianapolis -- and I'd run off the road. AAA got my call and said they'd be there in 30 mins. They never showed.

    I ended up having a local service pull my car out of the median and a charge of $50. A nice trucker stopped and let me stay in his cab to keep warm, so at least that was good. I also drove to the nearest exit and slept.

    Glad you made it in one piece.

    By Blogger Cheshire Cat, at 2:16 PM  

  • Hi Angel,glad you made it back
    safe.Get some rest,and take
    your vitamins.

    By Blogger Michele, at 2:18 PM  

  • Welcome back!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:19 PM  

  • flat tires suuuck! but the roadtrip is def. the highlight.

    By Blogger Cari, at 6:49 PM  

  • Glad you made it home!
    Have a good Memorial Day!

    By Blogger Lee Ann, at 8:58 PM  

  • I have been totally slacking off too. Sometime real life just gets in the way you know?

    By Blogger Lindsey, at 7:12 PM  

  • Hey Angel, glad you are back, safe and sound. Bugger about the tire ... lucky you were able to pull over safely, with a blown tire. Definately time you learnt to change a tire ... goodness, even I can do that (however, if I don't have to, I won't ... that's what I pay RACV roadside assist for !!) Enjoy your week. Take care, Meow

    By Blogger Meow (aka Connie), at 10:53 PM  

  • I'm a girl, and I can change a flat...

    Sounds like you had fun - I enjoy those looong road trips a lot.

    By Blogger Karen Little, at 4:01 AM  

  • Triple AAA?? That's AAA AAA AAA! ;-)

    Glad to see you back here. I'm back from Edinburgh, too! Posted a postcard for you x

    By Blogger missy, at 5:27 AM  

  • Blow-outs on long trips stink....my first experience with it my tire blew and then my spare tire blew...thankfully there were some helpful people who knew a guy who knew a guy *grin*.

    By Blogger Jacob Spradlin, at 1:53 PM  

  • You know...I've never seen a Filipino ever change a flat tire before. Everyone I know just calls AAA.

    Is that some stereotype I never took notice of before?

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 8:28 PM  

  • Glad to see you back! Huzzah!

    By Blogger mkecurler, at 10:50 PM  

  • I drove from Fl to VA once- alone too. But I had to stop once I reached NC, I was just too exhausted. And good that your friend kept u awake too!

    By Blogger Foxy, at 10:55 PM  

  • They have door-to-door salesmen in Florida? Man, that makes my last comment so, like, stupid sounding. Thanks a lot, Angel.

    By Blogger White Dade, at 3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home