Shaken Not Stirred

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Remakes

I've written about this made for television movie before, I think back in November when it came out. It's the updated television version of "The Poseidon Adventure". The original I remember starred Pamela Sue Anderson (the original Nancy Drew)and some others (I'm too lazy to look it up on IMDB.COM). I remember I watched it as a really young child cause I saw the previews and saw that Nancy Drew was going to be on it. I was a really big fan of the Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries in elementary school,although I didn't understand them. It may have had something to do with my parents telling me that they grew up reading the books. So when a preview for The Poseidon Adventure came out featuring Pamela, I begged my parents to let me watch it. My father tried to explain that it wasn't Nancy Drew (he had already seen it when it first came out and thought it a little too violent for someone my age). I begged, pleaded, cleaned my room and did some other chores. They gave in.

I remember only the parts where the ship turned over and when they were finally rescued by the Navy who drilled a hole in the bottom of the boat. And I do remember liking the movie.

So back in November when this new movie starring Adam Baldwin and Steve Guttenberg came out, I watched it. Not the same feeling of wonder and awe at the dramatical moments of the original. For one, Steve's character had a line which bugged me throughout the entire movie. Steve had to take off the shoes of a floating corpse and use them. When he complained about using them, his girlfriend asked, "Don't you want to live". He replied "Yes, I do" as he slipped the shoes on. This particular scene and its dramatic music unnerved me.

Now, I ask myself how I got pulled into watching the show again. And of course, the fact that the director saw the scene played through, and it didn't end up on the chopping board is beyond my comprension. Do they not know a scene that works and one that doesn't?

This is a sort of updated version of my original post. We all know the remakes hold no candle to the original.

19 Comments:

  • I LOVED the poseidon adventure. the original move had leslie neilson, shelly something or other who used to be some big sex symbol in her day and gene hackman. can't remember the other names.

    i would like to go see the movie with kurt russel in it but i heard they changed it and like you said remakes aren't always a good thing.

    m

    By Blogger mollymcmo, at 10:15 AM  

  • I thought Hardy Boys was about...

    never mind, let's just say it was a bit disappointing ;-)

    By Blogger missy, at 11:16 AM  

  • I also loved Nancy Drew mysteries
    growing up.The originall will
    always be better than the remakes,
    if nothing more than sentimental
    reasons.

    By Blogger Michele, at 12:02 PM  

  • I beg to differ...I fully support movie remakes.

    Why should movies get the same treatment that plays and musicals get ... new actors, new directors, new sets.

    Remakes can be a good thing.

    By Blogger Earl, at 3:35 PM  

  • Its tough to do a remake of a successful movie. I think the trick is to not try and emulate the old one and do something completely unexpected and different. So if a scene is successful, it may make sense to actually take it off. What's the point in doing it the same way yet again?

    By Blogger Wriju, at 4:23 PM  

  • Man Steve Guttenburg... have not heard that name in a while.

    What about the Poseidon that is at the theatres. I have not heard too much about it.

    Scott

    By Blogger Scott, at 4:30 PM  

  • I thought Steve Guttenberg was in the Himalaya's studying to be a Yogi or something.

    By Blogger :P fuzzbox, at 7:23 PM  

  • I remember going to the library with my fingers crossed, hoping that the next book in the Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys series was available. I remember the TV shows, too... Pamela, Parker, Shaun (sigh).

    My first concert was Shaun Cassidy's... I couldn't wait to tell my classmates that he had accidently ripped his pants during "That's Rock and Roll". Then I found out that he accidently ripped his pants during every concert.

    By Blogger JJ, at 7:52 PM  

  • I didnt know that there was an original...I ALSO didnt know that nancy drew/hardy boys were tv shows....I thought they were just books. Hm. Go figure.

    By Blogger Princess Pessimism, at 10:50 AM  

  • Steve Guttenburg in "Police Academy 2." Aggh the best!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:48 PM  

  • I too think most remakes suck just look what they did to godzilla.

    This is also a comment in hopes that you can help Fuzz with his problem we are holding an intervention for him any help would be tremendous.

    By Blogger Crazy Dan, at 1:54 PM  

  • I saw a remake of a Hitchcock movie a couple year ago, it sucked.

    By Blogger Big Ben, at 5:41 PM  

  • I think remakes can be a mixed bag...if you didn't really like the original, a remake might have something for you. I think the more you like (or love) the original, the less likely the remake is going to appeal to you (i.e. Sabrina).

    By Blogger Hope, at 10:16 PM  

  • Remakes never have the impact the original did. Look at the Matrix. In the year 2031, they tried to remake it using holographic nanobots and failed miserably. If I remember correctly, the entire world evaporated.

    Now do you see the danger of mass media?!

    By Blogger Gyrobo, at 3:01 PM  

  • How are they making 3 of the same movie, and one like a year after the last one came out. This is not exaclty a timeless, shakesperian tale, here, people. I tihnk one remake per 20 years is enough.

    By Blogger White Dade, at 3:38 PM  

  • I unfortunately never saw the original, but I just saw the remake on an IMAX screen--and I think the screen is what made the movie though. I think I'll rent the original.

    By Blogger Chipper, at 6:00 PM  

  • One movie i would like as a remake
    if they did it right.
    The Lost Weekend with Ray Milland.
    First movie in the 50's that dealt
    with alcoholism.That was a classic.

    By Blogger Michele, at 6:13 PM  

  • Remakes do suck! I thought the BBC had found perfection in the 1995 version of Pride and Prejudice, and then they go and make that silly version with Keira Knightley. I saw that they had reduced all the Keira Pride and Prejudice DVDs in half because no one was buying it. They should have done a Jane Austen novel that wasn’t really done in a long time like Northanger Abbey… like my mama always said…. if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

    By Blogger Madox23, at 4:06 PM  

  • The toughest thing to do is make a successful (or more successful) remake of an original movie/song thta was sucessful.

    cheers

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home