Shaken Not Stirred

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The Mind of a Teenager

I was driving to do some errands and my 13 year old nephew was in the car. He had just returned from a trip to the beach, so in an effort to multi-task (get some errands done and spend time with him), I dragged him along. Plus who else could I boss around to help me out.

Apparently, one of his aunts bought him one of those farting machine things and he started playing with it in the car. He would giggle and say things like "Oops, excuse me". He would then politely offer to roll down the window. This went on for awhile and then he finally said something like, "My stomach really hurts". I was thinking oh brother...and he kept making the little machine "fart".

I was amused that he thought he was fooling me. He even pretended to double over with discomfort. After awhile it got annoying, but I kept playing along. He asked me if I knew anyone who had gas as bad. I told him that some patients I saw during my clinical rotations did. He asked me what happened to them and I said that in order to assess the real problem, some of the consultants did full examinations on them,they had lots of tests done and that they're families had brought them to the emergency room.

He got quiet and asked if it would be my father or one of our other relatives who would do the physical exam,without having to go to the E.R. I told him that relatives, especially grandfathers, weren't allowed to treat relatives and it would have to be a doctor the emergency room chose for him. When we got out of the car, he said "Um Uncle this is what my aunt got me for my birthday..." and showed me the farting toy.

So first I was amused, then annoyed, then I felt bad that I scared my 13 year-old nephew. And he just became a teenager about a week ago--we've got a few more years of shenanigans coming.

18 Comments:

  • Ahh no worries about scaring him. It can't really hurt if done in good fun.

    Scott

    By Blogger Scott, at 2:53 PM  

  • It's ok, it's good to scare them when they are doing something that a four year old would do.

    By Blogger Drywall Mom, at 4:49 PM  

  • At thirteen, he's fine being scared. I'm sure he's more than OK.

    -- david

    By Blogger David Amulet, at 7:55 PM  

  • Awww.. poor little guy. Although that must have gotten old fast.

    By Blogger Josh, at 8:18 PM  

  • *giggle* ... you meanie, you. Should've just gone along with it !!!
    I don't think he'll stay scared for long ... probably got something up his sleeve to pay you back !!! Watch out Angel !!!
    Take care, Meow

    By Blogger Meow (aka Connie), at 8:21 PM  

  • I still have the mind of a teenager because I love those fart machines.

    By Blogger :P fuzzbox, at 10:28 PM  

  • wait till he does the "fart infront of your spouse" fart. It's soooo funny! He's got years to wait for it, but whooohoo hooo!

    thanks for the anniv. wishes! A year of my madness!

    By Blogger mkecurler, at 11:44 PM  

  • I second Scott on that one.

    Pretty sure we've had worse played on us!

    By Blogger Tai, at 1:30 AM  

  • oh thats bad..
    but not that much..i sldo do scare children..infact i love to do so but not to hurt them ,if they r then im the one who make them feel comfortable also..

    just chill .........

    By Blogger Shruti, at 6:47 AM  

  • Psychological warfare. Perfect for adolescent cousins / nephew-nieces :-)
    Cool piece.

    By Blogger Wild Reeds, at 8:56 AM  

  • You're never too old for fart jokes.

    By Blogger Gyrobo, at 9:37 PM  

  • That is funny! I know, from the mouths of babes! (or teenagers in this case) haha

    By Blogger Lee Ann, at 11:46 PM  

  • You have to keep them in line Angel. I think you played along just enough to get his attention.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 12:26 PM  

  • Ohhh...see? I LOVE scaring my neices like that. Its funny, and I always tell them the truth.

    By Blogger Princess Pessimism, at 1:17 PM  

  • I gotta get me one of those machines. Somehow, I think that fascination with farting just never goes away.

    By Blogger Will, at 2:23 PM  

  • The fun is just beginning!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:45 AM  

  • No, there's no harm in tricking him when he's trying to trick you. After all, he's trying to get you to believe he's ill and make you worry. Giving him something to worry about is fair play.

    Your cousin is lucky he has never met my father. My father would have had him sweating, describing in detail fictional test that he'd have to go through to dianose his gas problem while driving him to the hospital.

    By Blogger blackcrag, at 2:08 PM  

  • Two words would have shut him up real quick: Rectal Exam.

    By Blogger White Dade, at 6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home