Shaken Not Stirred

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

I Was Tagged Again..Five Things

Cathy tagged me, so in keeping with the game and also because she poured her heart out, here's my heart out on my sleeve. Five things that even some of my friends don't know about me:

1. Religion is a priority in my life. A couple years ago, I thought it was necessary to search out other facets of Christianity and sort-of "left" the Catholic church. I attended other services instead. My mother, being a devout Catholic kept saying over and over again, "Why do you have to go to other churches". So to keep her quiet, I would silently sit in church where she could see me, but attended other services at different times. I realized that all of Christianity is the same, centered around God and Jesus Christ. I "came back" to Catholicism, realizing that I liked the structure and tradition of the faith of the Roman Catholic church.

2. I love the sport tennis. I played the sixth seed on our high school tennis team, even winning the regionals sophmore year. My classmates didn't notice (like I wrote previously, they were busy ignoring me). The next year, I didn't join the team again telling the coach it was because I wanted to focus on my studies. The truth was, I wasn't sure I could become a seeded player again. I also didn't like the other players on the team, preferring to hang out with my friends.

3. I started smoking cigarettes in college because I thought it was a cool thing to do. I don't think I was ever addicted to the nicotine. My roommate Rodney and I smoked these funky cigarettes called "Brights". You could only get them at this little country store near our apartment. I was able to quit successfully several times, without any mood swings or changes. I think that proved I wasn't addicted--each time I quit, it was cold turkey, without the cravings. When fourth year clinicals of medical school started, I probably smoked more cigarettes than ever (I thought it was a relaxant to my STRESS). I think I did it to pass the long nights of duty. I was able to quit cold turkey successfully after the year was over. I also deep down believe that I started again fourth year be cause so many co-fourth years smoked and I wanted to have an excuse to go to the smoke hole and shoot the shit.

4. I wanted to marry Blair Warner (a character on "Facts of Life" played by Lisa Welchel). I thought that Blair was the epitome of what a perfect girlfriend and wife should be. She was always dressed up and in make-up. Plus she was snobby. I am so turned on by a snobby chick.

5. I'm still afraid of the dark at times. I can sleep in the dark, but walking through a dark room or home is a bit scary for me. The movie that sparked renewal in my recent scare of the dark is "White Noise". Now when I fall asleep, I have to make sure that even my iPod is turned off lest someone from beyond use it as a medium to give me a message.

And then, just as I thought I was safe enough to publish this thing this morning...Lee Ann tagged me again with another five things. This time weird habits about ourselves.

1. When I eat Funyuns out of any bag, I try to make sure I eat the unbroken ones first. I'm wondering if that borders OCD.

2. I can't leave my home without spraying some cologne on, even though I bathe twice a day (morning and evening). Can the bathing thing also count as another weird habit?

3. While I study, I have to have a pencil to do make side-notes in my notebook and a red or purple colored pen to underline important words.

4. In the classroom, I have to sit in my specific seat during lecture. On top of that, it throws me off for a good half hour, if a different classmate sits on either side of me. I prefer the classmate that was sitting beside me to remain beside me for the duration of the semester. Usually I've found that other medical students are just as A.D.D. about their seats too, so I never have to deal with a new person.

5. I eat the green or blue Skittles first.

32 Comments:

  • Snobby chicks are what it's all about. Good call, man.

    Also, congrats on quitting cold turkey. I did the same after smoking all through high school and college, too. I feel sorry for people who have to really struggle to kick the habit.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:29 AM  

  • Eating the green skittles first proves you suffer a debilitating disorder known as "awesomeness".

    There is no known cure. And it's always fatal.

    By Blogger Gyrobo, at 10:35 AM  

  • These are awesome. I still don't know why guys like b*tches. I don't get it. Maybe b/c a part of them still has a thing for their mommies? I can't believe you kicked smoking so easily. I never smoked but I've had friends try and it was *so* hard for them!

    ps. I think you have OCD...

    By Blogger Anhoni Patel, at 10:40 AM  

  • You are so not into snobby chicks! What the heck? Is there another Angel that I don't know about?!
    As for the smoking thing, I got into it for the same reasons. Med school brings out the worst no??!And then quit after the breakdown:-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:09 AM  

  • It's fun learning about ya, Angel. I always enjoyed the structure of the Catholic Church as well, even though I'm not Catholic.

    By Blogger Luke, at 11:54 AM  

  • Angel, I have learned a lot about you, and that we have a lot in common.
    *I am Episcopal...very similar to the Catholic religion. I have been to others, but I like the structure and traditions of the Episcopal church.
    *Awesome about your tennis playing. I was a state and regional winner in swimming (the 100 meters butterfly and 50 meter freestyle).
    *I smoked for a few years...a long time ago...quick cold turkey.
    *I get called a snob (or some other reference to it), I promise I am not. I think it is because I am initially very shy.
    *I sleep with a night light and I cannot watch scary movies.
    *I have not ever tried funyuns, but I do that with tortilla chips.
    *I have to have my perfume or scented lotion on everyday. I will often bathe twice a day....(just feels better & I shave my legs EVERY day).
    *The classroom thing..same for me. It is much better if everyone just sits where they started.
    *I sort my m&ms by color and eat them one color at a time.
    Haha....nice to meet you.

    By Blogger Lee Ann, at 11:55 AM  

  • Hey that was a good post man. Enjoyed reading it. Take care.

    By Blogger Chairborne Stranger, at 12:00 PM  

  • Great post Angel. :)

    By Blogger Skye, at 12:18 PM  

  • I for one would never use this information against you.

    By Blogger Gyrobo, at 2:02 PM  

  • You are very honest and the anonymity of blogging gives you that freedom !

    Neat !

    cheers

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:21 PM  

  • i eat two different color skittles at the same time. always.

    By Blogger cher, at 2:44 PM  

  • You know, we have a lot in common. I too left the Catholic church, but pretty much came back to it. I am not devoutly Catholic, buy my core beliefs are with Catholicism.

    I too played tennis. I was the #4 as a frosh, #2 as a sophomore, and #1 my final two years. High school tennis was fun for me, as our team was really made up of a bunch of goof offs.

    When I played college, the guys were assholes. So I red-shirted to keep my scholarship money, and then quit.

    Overall, I'd have to say that "yes" you do have some behaviors that border OCD.

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 3:58 PM  

  • Vince,
    I was finally able to confess my deep seated lust for snobby chicks because of your post!!! Thanks for helping me to come clean.

    Gyrobo,
    Thanks for that. And I take the disorder, one day at a time.

    Anhoni,
    I think there is a challenge about the b*tches, maybe the illusion that they don't put out.

    Susie,
    Trouble-makers can be fun. Although, it has never happened to me (someone sitting in my seat), like I said, I think most medical students were as anal about their study areas. It happened a lot in undergrad, but I was better able to deal with it then.

    Babette,
    I don't like them as friends. But there is something about a well manicured chick with pearls in a cashmere sweater that drives my libido over the edge.

    Totolehero,
    I didn't erase your comment. I value them with my life!

    Luke,
    I'm loving your 100 things list. Although I don't think there are 100 things about me to post. I'm boring, while your life isn't.

    Lee Ann,
    Maybe you are my long lost twin sister!

    Chairborne Stranger,
    Thanks man! I hope you are keeping safe!

    Skyeblue2u,
    Thanks!

    True Blue guy,
    I'm even more honest after some tequila.

    Cher,
    After the green or blue ones, I eat them either two or three at a time.

    Phoenix,
    Wow. You played college tennis? The guys on the West Virginia University tennis team were cool! I had grown up with some of them. And the assistant coach was the son of a family friend.

    Ruben,
    Do you still have the number of that association?

    By Blogger JM, at 5:38 PM  

  • Yeah, you're probably OCD.
    But it's cool.

    Potato chips - I eat the folded ones first, then the WHOLE ones, then the larger pieces.

    If the meal has four courses, I have to have equal amounts of each and must have equal amounts of each at the end. My ex grabbed my last bite of sausage one morning at breakfast and I had to throw away my last bite of pancake and hashbrown because I didn't have the sausage to round it out.

    FREAK.

    Don't you feel better about yourself now??

    By Blogger meghansdiscontent, at 5:55 PM  

  • Blair Warner and Tootie. Those are two names I haven't thought of in awhile.

    By Blogger Walter, at 6:40 PM  

  • Okay...I'm totally the same way about the seats. i also prefer the same neighbors for the whole semester.

    Snobby chics? Really? Please explain to me why...b/c I did a whole post about how I didn't understand how all these snobby girls had men..but a nice girl like me didnt.

    By Blogger Lindsey, at 6:58 PM  

  • Angel;
    Thanks for doing this, It is so much fun to read detials like these about our blog friends. I smiled when I read what you wrote about Blair Warner. Turned on my snobby girls? I don't understand why. I liked the jock chick; I wanted to look like her (although I am not a jock at all!). I can't remember her name.

    By Blogger Cathy, at 8:02 PM  

  • Blair? I always had the hots for Mrs. Garrett.

    OK, I am kidding, but I did like Tootie's leg warmers.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 12:19 PM  

  • Snobby bitches (if Angel will allow me to be so blunt):

    The excitement they garner in us has two sources. One is definitely the whole "challenge" aspect. The other is the complete gratification you expect to feel once you finally get them drunk enough to let you bang the hell out of them, effectively rendering their high horse a low, mountable one.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:39 PM  

  • blair warner?? lmao...i am loving your guy perspective on things angel. :)

    By Blogger Foxy, at 1:24 PM  

  • lmao at both Mr.Shife's and Vince's comments!

    a low mountable one! ahahaha!!

    do you think if i turned into a snobby bitch, mr shife would make out with me?

    By Blogger cher, at 1:56 PM  

  • Angel seems to lack an angelic avatar. Should I create one? I'm good at avatar construction.

    By Blogger Gyrobo, at 2:24 PM  

  • Gyrobo- i vote yes!

    By Blogger cher, at 3:53 PM  

  • gyrobo, that would be cool. I'm computer inept--don't know my way around one.

    By Blogger JM, at 4:27 PM  

  • Keep a close eye on the broken Funyon's. Some bonehead sold one for around 300 bucks because it had a resemblance to the Virgin Mary and Child.

    By Blogger :P fuzzbox, at 7:17 PM  

  • Gyrobo has a way with avatars...

    but that still won't save him from my wrath.

    .:Argh!:.

    By Blogger His Majesty, at 12:43 AM  

  • Well, I completed your angelic avatar. If you want any changes, just speak up.

    By Blogger Gyrobo, at 12:59 AM  

  • i remember having lisa welcher come to our church to speak to the youth group once. I got her autograph.

    Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see Linda Lovelace when she came to speak to the women's group.

    By Blogger j merlino, at 4:57 AM  

  • Please do not start smoking again. I have just spent a week dealing with people who are dying because their lungs are full of shit. If the system stresses you out, do not let it kill you as well. It is not worth it.

    By Blogger Dr Vegas, at 5:21 AM  

  • What a popular guy! I never get tagged. *pouting with a wry smile*

    I'm Episcopal (we're a little bit more slack than Catholics) by marriage. I enjoy the structure too. Though I wish that we could sing more joyful and uplifting hymns. Solemn doesn't always do it for me as I was raised by a joyous band of hippies, well kinda. ;) My father raised my brother and I in the religious realm of anything goes. We spent many solstices in drum circles and many Sundays praising the Goddess.

    Whatever, it all works for me.

    By Blogger Sweet Tea, at 11:03 AM  

  • Congrats on the smoking cessation!

    By Blogger Aud*2020, at 12:51 AM  

  • Not sure how all these tagging works. I was tagged once and I didn't know what to do :-)

    So, I thought I'd clutter your comment space with things you need not know about me:

    1. I was baptised Catholic.
    2. I am not a bad tennis player.
    3. I smoked in uni. Stopped cold turkey. Started smoking again but only when I'm with Matt.
    4. I don't want to marry Blair Warner.
    5. I'm not afraid of the dark.
    --
    1. I don't know what Funyuns are!
    2. I shower twice a day, too!
    3. Yes to pencil when studying to make side notes and coloured pens for highlighting! Well done!
    4. If I am the same with lecture hall seats!! And rails and underground seats for that matter.
    5. I like to eat 3 different coloured skittles at the same time.

    :-)

    By Blogger missy, at 12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home