Shaken Not Stirred

Saturday, August 19, 2006

When Do Worlds Collide

This is a continuation about my 13 year old "farting" nephew.

When we were done with the errands, we went over to my parent's house for dinner. The rest of the family had already gotten there and were waiting for us. He stuffed the farting machine into his 7 month old brother's pajamas. He then continued to press the button. I guess my brother and sister-in-law were already use to hearing that sound because it didn't phase them. Or maybe they were just famished and annnoyed that we took our time doing errands. My parents howevever kept looking around the room wondering what the sound was and where it was coming from. My mother even got up from the table and turned the television in another room off.

Anyhow, Thursday night my brother and sister-in-law gave the farting nephew a birthday/back to school bash at the country club. They hired a dee-jay (he is pretty well known and has his own show somewhere and he isn't from West Virginia. I've forgotten his name because I basically only listen to country music so I am not familiar with such popular deejays). I remember my nephew excitedly talking about this deejay for several days and also hearing some of his friends squeal with delight as the deejay was setting up. Some of the kids dared one another to go and get an autograph and also snapped pictures with their Razr cameraphones (another post will be why these kids have cameraphones and the girls have designer bags that cost more than a candlelight dinner or first class plane tickets).

I noticed how it may have seemed like there was a lot of mingling,but the room remained divided between male turf and female territory. Even when everyone was dancing or rather awkwardly convulsing (they certainly were not dancing by any means of the definition) they gave the illusion they were dancing as one, but there was still a division.

My question is, when do boys start crossing over the lines that girls draw around their personal space. For some reason I remember slow dancing with a chick named Beth pretty early on (it was seventh grade).

16 Comments:

  • They'll figure it out over time. Eventually hormones will give them the impetus they need to cross the line. But why is it just one way? In this day na dage, why can't the girls approach the guys?

    Funny how, for all the equality of the sexes, some very old fashioned values still have a firm grip on our behaviour.

    By Blogger blackcrag, at 2:10 PM  

  • Blackcrag, can I ring you? "In this day na dage, why can't the girls approach the guys?" Best quote ever!!!!!!!!!!! Angel, this solves much of our earlier discussions...no??!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:59 PM  

  • I haven't paid more than £50 for a bag!

    I'm catching up on blogs... again! Did you get the postcard from France?

    By Blogger missy, at 10:11 PM  

  • My little guy has been in love
    with the same girl since grade
    one - he just won't give up.

    By Blogger sophie, at 11:55 AM  

  • i remember "slow dancing" in gr.8 but there was so much room between my partner and i that we could have fit another person in there. i remember the way we "held" each other, so comical. the girls hands were on the guys shoulders and not bent at all, completly straight out and the guys hands on our waists, again straight out.

    hence why you could fit another kid between us! LOL!

    you think all that dancing "safe" would have been good, but hell i ended up pregnant at a young age! LOL! so obviously didn't help! LMAO!

    but parties with dj's at 13? man i must be poor or something cause never could i afford that one!

    m

    By Blogger mollymcmo, at 12:04 PM  

  • They should be hitting that stage any day now.

    By Blogger :P fuzzbox, at 12:45 PM  

  • A back to school bash at a country club? I don't get how parents can spend that much money on something like that. I guess I'm just a little simpler than some people. But, hey, if they have the money, I guess why not.

    By Blogger Drywall Mom, at 12:47 PM  

  • Well, it could be different for kids depending on what their environment is.
    I had to take ballroom dance (Cotillion) in seventh grade, so we had to dance with the boys at an early age. In eighth grade we had dances at the school and all the kids danced together.
    I think it is so funny that you refer to your nephew as the farting nephew. Apparently he fooled your mom! :)

    Oh, my neices and nephews are all in that same group that has the camera phones and expensive bags, clothes and makeup too....times have changed!

    By Blogger Lee Ann, at 12:05 PM  

  • LOL - Good Observation!!!

    By Blogger Greg - Cowboy in the Jungle, at 9:10 PM  

  • Oh yes, I suppose you did mention kids with designer bags in your post here. LOL!!! that did happen to me once, I was going to write a post about people I hate at the movies, and then another blog that I read, wrote the exact post about 2 days before I could.

    Odd how people have similar trains of thought at the same time.

    By Blogger Princess Pessimism, at 9:47 PM  

  • I remember when it was cool to have your own land line! I'm talking 1983!

    the birthday is Friday

    By Blogger mkecurler, at 10:59 AM  

  • I crossed over that line of different-sides-of-the-gym for closeness around 8th grade, and I think that's probably 13 or 14, right? So I'd worry about him if another year or two goes by and nothing changes.

    -- david

    By Blogger David Amulet, at 6:24 PM  

  • I believe it is after some sort of sexual contact (maybe not intercourse but like, 2nd base?) is made. then they know that the opposite sex actually WANTS to be closer to them. Wierd. I'd almost forgotten about that.

    By Blogger White Dade, at 6:33 PM  

  • I think at that age, emotional development is pretty across the board. You got kids that don't care about the opposite sex and others that have discovered the world of self pleasure.

    It's all pretty normal.

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 10:13 PM  

  • I don't remember the mingling of the genders until high school, and I attribute most of that to the fact that we all had discovered booze.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 11:41 PM  

  • I guess it all depends on what's normal for their circle, I guess.
    I think my group was pretty much past the fart machine phase at 13.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home