Shaken Not Stirred

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Things Are Looser

I've been going to the gym on a daily basis and spending about of two hours of my time there. I'm usually drenched in sweat and so energized that I feel like running a marathon when I'm done. It's werid when I first started going, I was tired at the end of one hour, so tired that I wanted to crawl under the covers and sleep. Not to mention sore--I could feel the sore in my bones sore. But now even after my set aside two hours, I crave more. I understand how one can be addicted to it.

Now, I have found that my weight has steadied. I'm no longer losing or gaining. The reason I had gone to the gym in the first place was to lose some poundage. The poundage I gained over the summer sitting at my desk, learning how to twirl a pen with my fingers (it actually looks like a mini-baton) has to come off. How can I tell a patient to eat healthy or to live a healthy life and have my belly obstructing the view of my feet? It's like one of the pulmonolgist I know who smokes. Very ironic. In order to have your patients believe you, you have to be the role model.

Oh yes, back to what I was going to ask. Does your body just hit a plateau? Do I have to work harder to keep the pounds coming off? I've already removed most bad things from my diet--and added lots of fiber, vegetables and fruit. And this pouch on my tummy. I don't think it wants to go away.

The other reason I'm writing about going to the gym is because I find it funny that I shower before I go. I actually clean myself up to sweat. And I also find it hilarious that some of the women that come look like they can go shopping in their outfits. Some of these sweatsuits don't look like they were made to sweat in. They are those funky sweatsuits with rhinestones on them. You know the ones I'm talking about---the kind Michael Myers always wore on his Coffee Talk skit. Anyway, does anyone else out there primp themselves up before working out?

22 Comments:

  • My workout clothes are a disaster - comfy joggers, old kicks and funky teeshirts. Not a rhinestone in sight!

    Cxx

    By Blogger Claire, at 3:52 PM  

  • I primp myself up before everything.

    By Blogger Christopher D. Bate, at 9:23 AM  

  • I just wear my ratty old workout clothes. . . and it is possible to hit a plateau. The tummy is the hardest thing to tone. I lost a lot of weight and I did it by eating right (obsessively so) and working out about two hours a day. Lots of cardio and about 100 crunches a day helped tone my stomach in no time.

    By Blogger Cynthia, at 11:14 AM  

  • I wouldn't know a thing about working out. I haven't done anything in months. I rode my bike for only 10 miles and had leg cramps all night. So I took a break. It's now been a month.

    Rhinestones at the gym? What kind of honky tonk gym do you go to? :)

    By Blogger SK, at 11:34 AM  

  • I know what you mean. A few weeks ago this doctor that my parents knew had a heart attact. He was way over weight and I always wondered how his patients could believe him when he was like that. When my mom told me he had a heart attack, I told her "I'm not suprised, he was asking for it." I know that's horrible to say but really, if you don't practice what you preach, how can you get people to beleive you when you are not even doing the same things that you are asking them to do?

    I went to school to do massage therapy and skin care through nutrition and I couldn't keep doing it b/c I, myself, couldn't do what I was preaching. I couldn't feel right telling them what they needed to hear if I coudln't even do it myself.

    So for that, I congratulate you for keeping up with going to the gym. I know I should work out, I just need the motivation to do it. So if you can do it, I should be able to. As for not losing or gaing weight, I have heard that evening primrose oil will help with that situation. But you are the doc here so you would probably know better than I would.

    Hope you have a great weekend.

    By Blogger Drywall Mom, at 12:48 PM  

  • sweaty men are hot

    By Blogger LBseahag, at 6:44 PM  

  • I used to be a gum junkie, and admit I used to do my hair and put on lippy !!!
    These days, I wouldn't bother, as I don't want to draw attention to myself ... I want to be really inconspicuous in the gym !!
    Deodorant is a must, though !!
    Have a great week.
    Take care, Meow

    By Blogger Meow (aka Connie), at 8:13 PM  

  • Primp myself? Hah! I'm lucky if my baggy Chicago Blackhawks t-shirt is clean!

    Who it their right mind wears rhinestones to a gym? Double hah!

    By Blogger kimber, at 12:56 AM  

  • Congrats! I confess to wearing makeup before workouts. Back in the old days...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:44 AM  

  • I just like the dry fit shirts, everything else i don't care at all about.

    Scott

    By Blogger Scott, at 11:58 AM  

  • My weight has leveled off as well, despite a LOT of working out.

    It's fairly frustrating.

    Steve~

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:03 PM  

  • i think soo. .though of course, I've been gymming for a month and am at that stage where the body asks for more than an hour, but our gym closes after a one house session and we cant do any more! :-(

    body weight.. i m 12 kilos overweight and try not to think about it..

    By Blogger How do we know, at 2:12 PM  

  • A few pounds gained is a small price to pay for developing such a great talent as pen twirling.

    By Blogger :P fuzzbox, at 3:13 PM  

  • Hmm I need to start working out again, my weight has gone up a tad since my college days, but I can still see my feet. Of course in my college days I was an athlete and therefore forced to work out or be kicked off the squad ha! I don't have that now. Hopefully my weight won't start going up and down like a roller coaster

    By Blogger Phats, at 5:24 PM  

  • You have to change up your workout avery couple of months to see enw results. I am realyl bad at this too, but your body just stops responding becasue it is used to the exterion. Try focusing more on weights or yoga or basketball or something then maybe go back to a modified version of what you're doing now. Supplements help a lot too.

    By Blogger White Dade, at 11:58 PM  

  • No use primping to go to the gym...but yes...I stupidly shower before I go (my gym is at work & you never know who's going to be there)...2 hours...good for you...I do an hour & feel so good most of the time...my hard part is actually getting there & feeling like I don't deserve fries afterwards.

    By Blogger Chick, at 9:16 AM  

  • Keep up the good work...it is awesome isn't it!
    I love the feeling too. I am still working out as well!

    HAPPY HALLOWEEN...
    LOVE YA,
    LEE ANN

    By Blogger Lee Ann, at 8:45 PM  

  • you look mahvelous...

    By Blogger LBseahag, at 11:24 PM  

  • ahahahaahaha I loved the line about the rhinestone gym gear!

    By Blogger ziggystardust73, at 11:50 AM  

  • I just go to the gym to work out and not for a fashion show. As I am getting older it is more difficult to lose weight, which sucks because now I have to work out harder and longer.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:23 PM  

  • You'll lose it eventually. You need to change up your pattern.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:16 PM  

  • i go for comfort angel
    at the end of the session it's gonna end up in the hamper anyway
    but u know...its been so long since Ive been to the gym I can't say that I even know what Im talking about hahah

    By Blogger Cari, at 2:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home