Shaken Not Stirred

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Things That Go Bump in the Night

At my parent's summer home, they've got quite a varitable orchard going on in their backyard. They have several fruit trees growing and the fruit has started to bloom. Since I'm down here using it for peace and quiet to study, I get to see this fruit grow.

One of my friends who lives outside of St. Petersburg came down to visit. She was taking a break from studying (she is taking the Step 1 exam in a couple weeks--wish her luck). When I told her of the various fruits that were growing and that I was more of a Doritoes and KFC hunter/gatherer, she asked if she could gather this fruit. We went to the backyard and started picking guavas for her to take home. I reached my hand into the tree to get a pretty good sized guava when Maria screamed. I looked to see what she was screaming at and then screamed like a woman myself. On the guava I had just picked was the Geiko lizard. It's big bulging eyes staring at me. I dropped the fruit, did a "get that thing off me" dance in the middle of my yard--much to the amusement of my neighbors and Maria.

I don't know where these lizards come from, but they seem to be all over the place. They are sometimes seen on the side of the house and around the pool. They gross me out with their bulging eyes and skinny bodies. Eeek!! Spiders, I'm not afriad of, but those things will make jump onto to a chair faster than a step aerobics instructor can (by the way, is step aerobics still a fad).

13 Comments:

  • We have them all over the place here. They don't bother me as much, but if I had one get on me, I would probable have done the same thing.

    By Blogger Drywall Mom, at 7:06 PM  

  • Oh, I remember those lizards. When I lived in Florida, they were everywhere. I remember them blowing their necks up like red balloons....eeewwww!!

    By Blogger Lee Ann, at 10:41 PM  

  • Funny!

    i would have saved you with
    my "bat"

    By Blogger sophie, at 10:46 PM  

  • Haahahaha!!! Why those lizards are harmless!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:40 AM  

  • Wow a fellow KFC hunter/gatherer! I throw most fruit that is on trees (as baseball thing I guess).

    Should have put that lizard in your pants 'Jackass-style"

    By Blogger Big Ben, at 5:24 PM  

  • Did the gecko offer to save you money on your car insurance? By the way, you painted a very funny picture. Thanks for sharing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:42 PM  

  • I love little lizards...

    However, I will never eat chicken again, when someone brought it to my attention that they are reptiles, they lay eggs...i haven't checked to see if its true, since the nausea hasn't worn off yet...

    By Blogger LBseahag, at 1:15 AM  

  • I love geckos! They are so cute!

    By Blogger ziggystardust73, at 6:55 AM  

  • Finally.. someone else who is scared of lizards like I am.. they are harmless in the sense that they do not bite. avoid humans etc., but god knows they scare the hell out of me!!

    By Blogger How do we know, at 10:55 AM  

  • You were picking guava???

    Sounds like you were on Gilligan's Island!

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 9:11 PM  

  • Gecko's would be cool. I love lizards but no geckos around here. Mountain boomers are the best ones around here.

    By Blogger :P fuzzbox, at 10:33 PM  

  • I love lizards ... did you see the one I posted yesterday ?? When we went to Cape York last year, 2 gheckos fell from the ceiling almost into our lunch !!! Don't know what they were up to that caused them to fall .. pro-creating, maybe !?!?!?
    Had I mentioned that I received your postcard from Topsail Beach the other day ??? No, sorry, but I did. I have cards from Broken Hill, which I need to write and send (of course, now they won't be postmarked from Broken Hill, but never mind !!). It will happen, but don't hold your breath !!! I have become notoriously lazy when it comes to writing postcards.
    Hope you have a great weekend.
    Take care, Meow

    By Blogger Meow (aka Connie), at 9:00 AM  

  • I have not seen anyone do Step Aerobics in a long time.

    I kind of dig lizards, small ones anyway, or Iguanas.

    Scott

    By Blogger Scott, at 2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home