Shaken Not Stirred

Monday, November 27, 2006

Christmas Is Here

There is one station which plays Christmas music 24 hours daily. I like to put it on every once in awhile to feel that Christmas spirit.

This morning while I was listening to it, they played that song with the lyrics about war being over, and "and so this is Christmas, and what have you done, another year over, a new one has begun". I'm pretty sure most of you have heard it. This wasn't the John Lennon version, it was some female singing it. The lyrics go to me because the war isn't over. It made me think about our soldiers in the middle east, fighting during Thanksgiving, being away from their families and endagering their lives on a daily basis. It made me think about how they wouldn't get to spend Christmas with their families.

During my clinical rotations, I didn't get to go home for Christmas. It was the lonliest Christmas I have ever spent. I got to spend it with classmates, roommates and friends. I was homesick and really miserable. I can't even fathom what these soldeirs feel on a daily basis, concerning their families and friends.

The song just made me really sad and thankful for what I have. The fact that my family and friends are mostly just a few states away, less then a 16 hour drive. Much quicker by plane. And one of the biggest reasons I have a lot of this freedom is because of these lonely soldiers fighting for it.

God Bless the U.S.soldiers this season and everyday in between!!!

10 Comments:

  • You said it!

    May it be over SOON!

    By Blogger Chick, at 6:16 PM  

  • Thanks for this post, Angel, from someone who appreciates how much you care.

    By Blogger JJ, at 8:46 PM  

  • amen angel!

    very true...we are blessed to have courageous and unselfish men and women who would be willing to risk their own lives so we can have our freedom...

    i spent one year alone w/ out my family....like u said...it was lonely...it wasn't complete...at all...

    even more reason to adopt a soldier! (thanks to lindsay) so glad i heard about this...

    it really is the least one can do..

    By Blogger Cari, at 10:57 PM  

  • i love christmas music.

    it is hard being away from family, especially when there is a large distance, no matter what time of year it is. holidays just seem to make it that much more hard kwim?

    i'm so happy i get to be with my family this year, no working Xmas this year for me.

    m

    By Blogger mollymcmo, at 10:11 AM  

  • Thanks for this post!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:55 AM  

  • Amen.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:18 AM  

  • So true. I can't even begin to imagine not just what the soldiers are going through, but the families they've left behind.

    I thought Amy Grant sang that version, although the John Lennon one gets on my nerves - only because Yoko Ono sings with the kids in chorus. Her voice is damn awful.

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 3:29 PM  

  • Yes, God bless them!

    By Blogger Lee Ann, at 6:19 PM  

  • lets not forget the canadian soldiers too... considering rob's in the army, and is about to go back to work after almost 9 months of paternity leave and will have to do a 6 month over seas tour soon...

    By Blogger cher, at 10:38 PM  

  • Yes, love the song, love the season. As for the soldiers, I hope they do all right, and it's a shame they have to be away from their families, but that's the choice they've made. I'm anti war in every way, but I'm not anti soldier, so don't get me wrong please. God bless the world I say, how about that? Too sappy? Sorry about that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home