Shaken Not Stirred

Friday, November 24, 2006

Shopping Madness

Yesterday at midnight started some shopping madness. Door opened at midnight and stayed open till 6 a.m. People poured in from everywhere. I didn't go, but my cousin's wife and an aunt went. What they described to me could only be defined as pure pandemonium. Cash registar lines were broken down into stacks of three. Some of the stores had to close their outer doors and limit the number of people entering. My cousin described it much like the lines in a club--whenever two people left, two more people were let in.

She said that there were some pretty good sales. She eyed a Coach purse that was remarkably maked down. The only reason she didn't buy it was because she said she wasn't willing to wait in a line that already had 30 or so people in it. She did however get a couple pairs of shoes and two for one sweaters.

What would make anyone want to wait in lines like that? I don't care how much savings you would get, I'll pay full price not to have to deal with that. She also said she had to laugh at the husbands and boyfriends who were dropping their girlfriends/wives off at the entrances to try and find parking. There were also very sleepy males sitting on random benches or even along a store wall holding bags and other treasured purchases. My cousin? He was soundly asleep with his three kids.

I just don't understand it. If you can't get it at the store, you can find it on-line. And if isn't available in blue, then get the green. Is the savings really worth all the hassle?

9 Comments:

  • No. No, it is not worth all the hassle. And yet some people (many it seems) obviously think it does. And so they go.

    Oh well, if it makes them happy.

    By Blogger blackcrag, at 5:08 PM  

  • Well, this year I can't speak from a higher pedestal, 'coz I was a partaker in the madness. In my defense, I only wanted to shop 2 hours 12AM-2AM. It was another matter that we were stuck in a traffic jam from 12AM-3AM. By the time we got parking, it was 3:30!

    The madness was everywhere. People parked their cars on the Interstate shoulder. I saw a family walking to their car, with the dad pushing a stroller and the mom dragging a kid with her. On their left, a semi whizzed past!

    Just what kind of deals warrant this kind of irresponsible behavior, I cannot fathom.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:55 AM  

  • i agree with you on this...i saw people camping out at Best Buy on thanksgiving...whatever.

    By Blogger LBseahag, at 3:10 AM  

  • I shopped the day after Thanksgiving once. I swore that I would never do it again. So far I have kept this promise to my sanity.

    By Blogger :P fuzzbox, at 4:07 PM  

  • I put a huge premium on no hassles, so I don't stand in line for things like that. You can find savings without having to push punch or kick an old women (even though that can be fun).

    By Blogger Big Ben, at 5:50 PM  

  • I like online shopping. I browse, I buy, the stuff shows up on my doorstep, and I have boxes plus bubble wrap for mailing packages!

    By Blogger JJ, at 6:52 PM  

  • I'm with you -- I'd rather pay full price than subject myself to crowds, line-up's, frenzied shoppers and frantic consumerism! :)

    By Blogger kimber, at 4:00 AM  

  • My mother told me that she got up at 3:30 in the morning on Friday, then waited outside a Walmart until the doors opened at 5.

    A Walmart.

    My mother is an idiot. ;)

    Steve~

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:00 PM  

  • I'm with you, I hate queueing up at registers. I'd rather pay full price. We have the 36 hour shopping madness from the 23rd December through to the 24th ... then the shops are closed for a whole day ... whoo-hoo !! One of only a couple of days a year when we cannot go shopping. I think it is only Christmas Day and Easter Sunday !! Otherwise, we Aussies can shop 7 days a week. Many supermarkets are open 24 hours, 7 days. Personally, I hate shopping, and tend to do it straight away in the morning, after dropping my daughter off at school. The parking is easy, the shops aren't crowded, and I go in, shop, and get out in record time. Works for me.
    Have a great week.
    Take care, Meow

    By Blogger Meow (aka Connie), at 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home