Shaken Not Stirred

Friday, January 12, 2007

Mocha Latte and One Baby

This morning while I was waiting in line at a cafe for some coffee, a lady with the cutest baby was standing waiting in front of me. I usually don't drink coffee because A) too much can make my heart palpitate, B)it makes me pee like a racehorse (why do we use that analogy) and C) it dulls the white in my teeth. Yes, I'm vain and it's mainly "C" that I don't drink coffee or soda. But I didn't want to just come right out and say that vanity prevents me from drinking coffee.

Anyway, the woman with the baby asked me if I wanted to go before her. She said she couldn't make up her mind what kind of coffee she wanted. She went on to explain when she was younger, there weren't that many choices--you got served coffee black, with sugar, with cream or with cream and sugar. She also went on to say that you certainly didn't need to learn Italian or whatever language these large chains use to order a simple cup.

I heard most of what she said, but was more fascinated with how cute her child was. The baby was in one of those strappy things that hold the baby against the parent and the parent is hands-free. I told her the baby was beautiful. Some other customers also noticed and said the same thing. Pretty soon the baby was surrounded by other adoring fans. She was that gorgeous--no actors/actresses baby has one on this one.

As our line moved closer to the counter, we were able to gaze at the magazine rack. It was mostly full of tabloid like stuff, so I just stared at it. I read thru many of the beaten like a dead horse headlines. You know the ones like Jen's Anguish at Being Alone, Nicole Struggle With Weight, and so on and so forth. My eyes just scanned them. The lady with the baby was scanning them too.

I made a funny face at her baby and the child responded by giggling. The mother smiled and said, "Say my name is (something I forgot)". My eyes went back to the different tabloids and so did the mothers. I then said, "Almost makes you want to buy one". The mother then looked at me funny. I was like, "What! I know you were eyeing the magazines too".

It was then I realized she thought I was talking about babies. I smirked and said "I meant a tabloid magazine". She laughed (thank goodness).

Have a good weekend.

16 Comments:

  • Cute... :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:02 AM  

  • I love cute babies. I hate to see the ugly ones though. I swear that I have met people with ugly babies and it's not enjoyable. But if you find a really cute one, they are so much fun to watch and play with.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:08 AM  

  • Nothing can grab your attention better than an adorable baby....well almost nothing! haha

    Have a great weekend!
    ~xo

    By Blogger Lee Ann, at 11:25 AM  

  • I would only buy a baby if it was really cute.

    By Blogger Big Ben, at 3:16 PM  

  • ...In a few years, she will probably want to sell her baby to you...HEHE

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:55 AM  

  • Isn't that what Madonna did? She just bought one.

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 7:53 PM  

  • yes, i confess that was me and my child. i know we're adorable and we will stop with the stalking as......of......now!
    done.

    m

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:56 AM  

  • Give me the tabloids...2 babies are enough for me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:25 AM  

  • Ahh, for the simple days when coffee was just coffee.

    By Blogger :P fuzzbox, at 4:49 PM  

  • I guess I'd buy.
    But only if it were fully refundable...I'm sure the fun wears off at some point and then I'd definately want my money back!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:36 PM  

  • So did you buy one?

    By Blogger Chick, at 10:05 PM  

  • well after your last post about biological clocks, i thought you were talking about babies too! and it couldn't be any cuter than my 1.5 year old son. not possible. just sayin.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:10 PM  

  • oh, and here's a news flash for people. THEY STILL SELL PLAIN COFFEE IF YOU WANT. Just order a coffee, not a latte, not a mocha latte, not a cappuccino, a plain old drip coffee, and they will give it to you. It's amazing how that works.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:12 PM  

  • I don't know I am just feeling the baby thing. I think I would still rather buy a puppy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:27 PM  

  • Babies are too expensive anyway.

    Better to go with an US Weekly. ;)

    Steve~

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:37 AM  

  • She told you her name? She was SO hitting on you. And you ignored her? Man, that's just cold.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home