Shaken Not Stirred

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Why Can't Everyday Be Christmas

Well aside from it being completely too expensive, Christmas decorations lose their sense of magic after New Years Eve.

I was talking to a friend today. She was saying that she almost has everything done for Christmas--she has just a little more shopping to do and she also has to find an outfit for Christmas Eve dinner. I am so glad that all I have to do is change the color of my tie and then my outfit looks entirely new. I'm so glad that I don't have to worry about co-ordinating my shoes to match my tie, belt or shirt color. I'm so glad that whoever set the standard for guys said black or brown for shoes. And I'm so glad that our hair doesn't have to be perfect. But I digress.

Anyway, I was thinking that after the holidays, this feeling of joy and cheer disappear too. I don't feel an overwhelming sense of gladness or tiding towards others once January really sets in. Looking back over the years, I have never really kept a resolution either. Of course my resolutions have been pretty easy ones to make: "quit smoking" (which I did, but it wasn't because of the resolution, I quit because while I was at a Kaplan medical review, I got the flu and cigarettes didn't taste so good--and then I just didn't pick it back up), "start exercising", "eat better" all those things that we make as resolutions, but somehow quit after January 3rd.

Maybe this year, I'll work on keeping a resolution and keeping that good cheer feeling going.

12 Comments:

  • Do you at least retain your jolliness?

    By Blogger Gyrobo, at 12:31 AM  

  • Jolly-smolly...Happy January...I plan on being a Grinch all year...even now & I think that's just fine (it's my resolution even).

    By Blogger Chick, at 8:01 AM  

  • Dude, you SO need to match your belt to your shoes. From one dude to another. Dude...

    Oh, and there's plenty of people who don't seem to share your warm fuzzies toward your fellow man. If shopping at the mall has shown me anything, it's that. That, and the must have gift this year is a foot massaging TV stand with a built-in beverage chiller.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:53 AM  

  • Eh...that feeling of cheer is overrated anyway. ;)

    Steve~

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:25 AM  

  • I think the general jolliness of society goes away for three reasons:
    1) back to work/school
    2) credit card bills have arrived
    3) trying to keep the resolution puts people in bad moods, diets and such generally put me in a foul mood. That actually why I started a diet 3 days ago. (Okay, I started cheated already today.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:06 PM  

  • I will join you in these efforts.
    Hope you are having a wonderful holiday season!
    ~xo

    By Blogger Lee Ann, at 1:18 PM  

  • I don't do resolutions... too much work that early in the New Year. Hope that the fun keeps going after the New Year this year though.

    Scott

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:39 PM  

  • I'd say a lot of people get the Christmas Blues. But the retail world is more than happy to help us out by putting out the Valentines Day shit.

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 2:49 PM  

  • Ah, I never make New Years Resolutions ... wouldn't stick to them, anyway !!
    Take care, and have a Merry Christmas ... Meow

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:32 AM  

  • Have a holly, jolly Christmas!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:47 AM  

  • I agree thank god nobody made men have to decide on colors. That would take me too long.

    Jan, it is the month that lags on the most because I get new days off haha

    By Blogger Phats, at 9:56 PM  

  • angel,
    have a great holidays !!
    good times with your loved ones..
    take care and see you in 2007

    By Blogger madame P, at 3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home