Shaken Not Stirred

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I'm The Angel, but It's Her Voice I Like

Honey why are you calling me so late It's kinda hard to talk right now Honey why are you crying, is everything okay? I gotta whisper cause I can't be too loud

It's really good to hear your voice saying my name, it sounds so sweet Coming from the lips of an angel Hearing those words, it makes me weak
"Lips of An Angel" by Hinder

I was thinking about this song because one of my buddy’s girlfriends called me really late last night. She called so late and I was so deep into a dream that when I woke up for a second I was eight and in my Thousand Acre Woods themed bedroom. But the sound of my cellphone snapped me back into 2007. I picked up without checking who it was. It was Lisa (not her real name in case one of my friends is reading this and figures out who is telling me what). She was a little upset about an argument she and Bart (not his real name either) had.

And I wasn't whispering because my girl was in the next room. For the past year, my girl has actually been attached to my wrist, anatomically referred to as the HAND (too much information I know, I just couldn't resist. I was whispering because that's the way you sound at almost 3 a.m.

Personally, I think that Bart is a great guy. He’s smart. He plays tennis and basketball. He rarely drinks but when he does, he offers to buy everyone a round. He is funny. He is well groomed. And he smells good. Maybe I should date Bart-hehe!!

Anyway, Lisa seems to think that he’s got his imperfections. She says he’s a slob. She says that he’s emotionally unavailable (I have yet to figure out what this means). She says that he’s frugal with money (he’s saving up to buy a boat). She says that he doesn’t take her dancing anymore (I didn’t get that cause he never took her dancing). And she went on for a couple more minutes about his faults.

This is not the first late night call I’ve gotten from her. Sometimes she talks about this while we are out and Bart is hanging with some friends on the other end of the table.

Anyway, she said something that stumped me last night. She said “if only he was like you, he’d be perfect”. Okay, so what part of him does she like and what parts of me does she want to give him. I don’t think this is a complement. In fact I almost think it’s a slap in the face, because apart, we are not good enough, but if we were somehow in a sci-fi sort of operation sewn together we’d be the perfect guy.

She talked for another FOREVER and then said it was really good to hear my voice. She felt better. Truth is, it was really good to hear her voice too.

I hung up and fell asleep. I didn’t dream about the Hundred Acre Woods this time.

16 Comments:

  • Nice little post my friend....

    Oh, and you know what? Maybe you should date Bart. ;)

    Steve~

    By Blogger Steven, at 11:10 AM  

  • I could write so much about this post. It all rings so true to stuff that's happened to me. What a wonderful post. I'll close with a joke. Lisa, Bart... I guess that makes you... Milhouse?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:38 PM  

  • I'm thinking...she's testing the waters...seeing if you're interested...either that or she's f-ing with your head for her own enjoyment.

    By Blogger Chick, at 10:48 PM  

  • Then it's settled- dreaming makes you more emotionally available.

    By Blogger Gyrobo, at 11:41 PM  

  • i'm sorry, but i don't like her. she's a gamer. if she has her sights on you, will she do the same thing to you in a while? be calling some other guy complaining about you? if she doesn't like bart, she should be decent, and break it off with him instead of going behind his back and complaining about him to you. and at that time of night? RUDE. she sounds selfish. run.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:45 AM  

  • Lisa is going to live a miserable life if she's waiting on that perfect person. If she hasn't figured it out by now...

    By Blogger Aaron, at 7:20 AM  

  • watch out for her, she might want to replace your girlfriend who is attached to your wrist =)

    By Blogger Cara Bara, at 10:22 AM  

  • Angel...She wants you. Accept it and tread carefully!

    By Blogger twolf1920, at 1:15 PM  

  • I think that some people need to vent sometimes but not like that. I think that it's kinda taboo to have a girl that is in a relationship call another guy about problems in their relationship. To me, which is my opinion and not everyone elses and only matters to me, is that couples need to talk it out amongst themselves. When people bring other people into relationship problems, it only brings on more problems. But that's my own opinion and I could be wrong.

    By Blogger Drywall Mom, at 12:50 AM  

  • Can someone say "Crush".

    By Blogger S.B., at 10:19 AM  

  • I have to agree with Chick's comments on this one. You might want to be careful on this one.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 6:02 PM  

  • So..many...thoughts...

    But my favourite part was probably the description of your girl!

    Cxx

    By Blogger Claire, at 4:48 AM  

  • Hmm sounds pretty dangerous to me, what if she gets mad with bart and blurts out how much nicer you are, is she worth possibly losing a friend over (or don't guys see it that way ?)

    Anyway my 2 cents ;)

    By Blogger Pixie, at 12:37 PM  

  • Nice little tale.

    Persoanlly if a friend called late at night like that and it wasn't an emergency, they would get spanked.

    By Blogger Rocketstar, at 9:43 PM  

  • sounds fishy!

    By Blogger tkkerouac, at 9:45 AM  

  • I agree with the warnings here: she's dating one guy and flirting dangerously with you...

    I know it's Eyore-thinking, but a girl who acts like that with one guy will be doing to the next guy she thinks she can trade up on.

    By Blogger blackcrag, at 4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home