Shaken Not Stirred

Monday, February 12, 2007

How To Beat The Flu (not medically proven)

I thought I was fine. On Thursday, I went to the gym and did an extreme workout. Well it was extreme to me, for others it may be just a normal workout. I stepped on a stairmaster and climbed stairs for thirty minutes. I then joined the tae bo class (which lasted for an hour). Punching and kicking, punching and kicking, a really great way to relieve stress. After the tae bo class I used some of the weight machines. I felt so good that I stopped and got a burger on the way home (completely eradicated everything I did at the gym).

After eating the grease and taking a shower, I proceeded to do some practice questions on-line (USMLE World is the way to go and Kaplan q-bank too)!!! When I finished one set, I felt a little queasy. I thought it was the burger. Anyhoo, Scrubs was going to be on, so I put the laptop into hibernate and tuned into NBC. I'm a Grey's fan too, so thank goodness they repeat on Friday nights. After Scrubs, I got up to check the explanations/answers on-line. I felt a little dizzy, but again attributed the nausea to the burger (what the heck do they put in those things). And I felt a little cold. So I threw on a sweatshirt and walked back to my laptop. And then like a ton of bricks all the symptoms hit me--congestion, fever, and cough. What wooodwork did this crawl out from?

So I did what any normal guy would do, I called a chick and whined about not feeling good. The more I whined, the worse it got. She promised to send me a care package (pretty cool huh?). Or for those who you have read my blog before, the chick was my friend Mulan!! You know the chick that I watch television while chit-chatting on the phone with!! Anyway, I went to bed early and still woke up with the icky feeling.

But I decided in my head that I wasn't going to be sick. So I took a shower, fired up the computer and proceed to act like I wasn't. As the day passed, I still felt congested and a little woozy, but not as bad as that witching hour the night before. I went out to dinner with my aunt and uncle and did some more studying.

Saturday came and I still refused to give in, so I did my usual errands and studied with my classmate Maria. Sunday came and "trashed me out again"!! But my Godchild Isabella wanted to go ice skating (her dad is one of my classmates and he was off to Illinois for a medical review) and so I volunteered to take her. Again, fought the sickness.

I think the cure is to act like you don't have the flu, and you ultimately won't be!!

I feel fine again today.

After edit:
P.S. I don't recommend this to anyone!! It just works for me. Seriously folks, if you are feeling ill--please see your physician. Sheesh!

18 Comments:

  • Oh my God, please don't be one of those doctor's. I kid you not, the kind that when are sitting in a hospital bed with a PICC line pumping TPN into you and a NG tube shoved down your nose and throat with morphine dripping into the central line and they look at you and say "You just need to make up your mind that you aren't sick and you won't be." REALLY, don't be that guy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:02 PM  

  • Emily, I won't be that guy!!! WTF? There is a difference between the flu and an illness that you have to be admitted for. Are you kidding me with this?

    By Blogger JM, at 1:05 PM  

  • I was there for the events that inspired the previous comment, and I must agree. I'm pretty sure you're joking with this post, but in case you're not...

    ...what she said.

    By Blogger Duck, at 1:06 PM  

  • btw, the condition in question is called hyper-emesis, and a lot of doctors out there don't believe it's a real condition. It's "in your head".

    By Blogger Duck, at 1:10 PM  

  • Angel,

    Should I be worried about Lumps in my armpit area that are slightly sore along with swollen neck glands?

    Sorry man, you must get that alot!

    Cancer-fearing me!

    By Blogger twolf1920, at 1:19 PM  

  • I see my doctor all the time, I think he gets sick of seeing me!

    There is a lot of stuff going around at school, I am hoping I don't get it

    By Blogger Phats, at 4:07 PM  

  • Well, whatever works, just as long as your back in top form!

    By Blogger Tai, at 4:21 PM  

  • HA!

    Doc sez "blocked sweat glands". Anti-perpirant is evidently of the devil!

    By Blogger twolf1920, at 5:45 PM  

  • good advice Dr. Angel!!!!!!!
    Why is it that doctors are the worst patients?
    Seriously, I hope you are feeling better.
    ~xo

    By Blogger Lee Ann, at 10:26 PM  

  • Our doctor always thanks us for sticking things out and trying to fight off illness before asking for drugs. Keep fighting, Angel... feel better soon!

    By Blogger JJ, at 8:11 AM  

  • i agree with you. it has worked for me numerous times, when i could not afford to be down sick. it's mind over matter dude. totally medical

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:12 PM  

  • Happy Valentine's Day Angel!
    ~xo

    By Blogger Lee Ann, at 9:39 PM  

  • And they say doctors make the worst patients. Why is that?

    Of course the best thing to do is just carry on through it. I can't stand these people who think the world ends because they get a little sniffle, or those that want a pill for every little ache.

    Why can't they let the body take care of itself?

    Glad you're feeling better.

    By Blogger blackcrag, at 10:39 PM  

  • I wholeheartily agree...my mother always made up get up & take a shower & go to school...pretty much...no matter what we felt like...& we always felt better...for a while.

    By Blogger Chick, at 10:46 PM  

  • Actually, Angel, I agree with you. I always activate "mind over matter" when I'm not feeling well, and it usually works (although not always !!).
    Glad it didn't take hold of you for too long, and hope you are still on the mend.
    Take care, and Happy Valentines Day ... hugs, Meow

    By Blogger Meow (aka Connie), at 11:10 PM  

  • So if my left leg gets chopped off in some freak accident, just ignore it. Pretend like nothing happened.

    Awesome!

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 2:44 PM  

  • "If I fake it, I dont have it"..:)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:11 PM  

  • I do not believe anyone here actually knows what influenza is really like. Influenza is not a cold it is a disease that spreads and kills. Be careful when you use the word 'flu'.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home