Shaken Not Stirred

Monday, March 05, 2007

Speak Only When Spoken To

I think some people speak just to be heard. Sometimes it seems they don't think before they speak.

For instance, in a press conference I was watching on CNN about a murder, one reporter asked a very obvious question. The question---"will you be looking for the rest of the body"? WTF?

At an Anna Nicole Smith press conference concerning her death, one reporter asked, "is their evidence of plastic surgery"? Um ya think? Really, I imagined this reporter to phone all his buddies and say "dude, did you hear me on television"? And yes, I admit I watched some of the Anna Nicole Smith trial. I don't know what captivated me, certainly not the judge. I guess like the rest of world, I was waiting to see what would happen next.

Another stupid question asked. Sometimes when I'm obviously the last person in line, someone will ask me, "are you waiting in line". One time I told the person who asked, "nope I'm just pushing this cart of groceries around. Now I'm just standing here with it. You can get in front of me". The man just shrugged and said, "jeez just trying to make conversation". That's not how to start conversation, start with real small talk like the weather.

Finally, at the gym when you are on a machine, someone asking "Are you using that"?

Does anyone ever get asked stupid questions?

22 Comments:

  • Hey is this Angel Jr's Blog???

    I am INDEED the PRINCE of Obvious!

    By Blogger twolf1920, at 7:16 PM  

  • i get stupid questions all the time, especially from patients.
    but then again i'm queen of stupid questions too :)

    m

    By Blogger mollymcmo, at 8:26 PM  

  • "I think some people speak just to be heard. Sometimes it seems they don't think before they speak."

    --- There is a saying out there, something like, "Those that think twice speak less often."

    Why aren't we finding out the results of the paternity test?

    By Blogger Rocketstar, at 9:39 PM  

  • Stating the obvious....very annoying!

    During a rainstorm ~ "Oh man, it's raining!" Ya think????

    Have a great week!
    ~xo

    By Blogger Lee Ann, at 10:07 PM  

  • As a teacher I am taught to say "there are no stupid questions" but some of those were just plain stupid!

    By Blogger Phats, at 12:38 AM  

  • My fave: "You gonna eat that?" and the asker points to a morsel of food on my plate.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:39 AM  

  • I get a lot of stupid questions, everyday from patients and sometimes one certain doctor here...and I still wonder how she got her MD. Oh well.

    By Blogger Cara Bara, at 8:08 AM  

  • I used to be an English teacher. I had a student from Japan in class. He asked, "Test in English?"

    We all laughed.

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 9:11 AM  

  • There are no such things as stupid questions. Stupid people, well...

    By Blogger Eric, at 9:34 AM  

  • I think your would like Bill Engvale. "Here's your sign" He does jokes like that.

    By Blogger Drywall Mom, at 11:27 AM  

  • I refer to my default reply, "No. I just work here." :P

    By Blogger Aaron, at 12:11 PM  

  • I teach seven year olds. You cannot even imagine....

    Cxx

    By Blogger Claire, at 12:45 PM  

  • Answer back like as stupid ...
    Q:Are you using that?
    A: No, I'm working on it
    Q: Are you last in line?
    A: No, you are behind me
    Q: Are you going to eat that?
    A: No, I'm going to throw it down my throat.

    By Blogger Kirsten N. Namskau, at 3:31 PM  

  • My husband has a list of stupid questions that he hears all the time... it cracks me up.

    Some people really should think before they speak. ;p

    By Blogger Trixie, at 9:56 PM  

  • Yes...I do think some people speak just to hear themselves...clearly this is true.

    My mother does this to me all the time...she'll say...that's where you are going to park? & I'll respond my saying, no...& moving the car...this could go on forever.

    By Blogger Chick, at 10:56 PM  

  • If you consider, how's the weather up there? a stupid question, then yes, I get asked a lot of stupid questions.

    By Blogger Big Ben, at 11:01 PM  

  • When people ask me if I know supernanny.....

    By Blogger Pixie, at 11:28 AM  

  • Of course as I mentioned earlier on my blog that the world is full of stupid people. The latest stupid thing I heard was a basketball announcer saying that a player had a fatal death. Is there another kind of death I don't know about that is non-fatal?

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 4:47 PM  

  • Just about everyone I know speaks just to be heard. That's probably why I blog.

    BTW, jogging 3 miles is better than the measly 500 yards I could do.

    By Blogger rob, at 5:34 PM  

  • I hate it when people ask me, 'Is it cold enough for you?' or 'Is it hot enough for you?'

    I generally give a smart ass reply just to see if they are actually listening for a response.

    By Blogger :P fuzzbox, at 9:46 PM  

  • the saying "there is no such thing as a stupid question" is a very stupid statement...just tell them to put a helmet on

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:01 PM  

  • The same goes for listening. Some people don't listen - they just wait for you to pause so they can speak. With those people, I usually let them speak for five minutes straight off. Then once they have exhausted what they want to say they might actually pay attention to you.

    By Blogger Dr Vegas, at 5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home