Shaken Not Stirred

Monday, February 26, 2007

Things That Make You Go Hmmm

Well it isn't actually something that would make you go hmmm, but it's making me go hmmmm.

Our house here in Florida has a pool. And I certainly don't swim. I'm still working on my abs before I dare take my shirt off outside the bathroom. Not that anyone would see me shirtless by the pool, since it's enclosed, but still. Plus I don't like the thought of swimming. My nephews and nieces (all under the age of 8) use this pool 24 hours a day,every day, whenever they are down here. And yes, I know there's chlorine and a filtering system, some guy comes every Tuesday to clean it out, but still they are children. Three of them are under the age of 4.

Anyway, I noticed for the several months that I have been here, I've got to add water into this pool. I know that water evaporates. The pool guy once said to me that "it's weird, but I've noticed with many of my clients that water evaporates faster in the winter time". So at first I didn't think anything of putting some water in there monthly. But for some reason the water seemed to evaporate quite quickly. So when the pool guy comes around again, I ask him. He tells me to buy this leak checking kit. I've gotta buy one of these things today.

What I liked was his honesty. He told me that I can basically check for the leak myself--it's this dye that gets swirled around in the pool thru the filtration system and then will point out the leak. He said had I called a pool company they would charge $250 to do the same thing, and that was just for the house call, nevermind the work they would have to do.

Anyway, I digress. The reason I was wondering if there was a leak or not was, "I don't see any cracks at all in the pool. The pool is made of cement and tiles--from where would this water be leaking?

I know, lame topic, but I had to vent. And speaking of peeing in the pool, I do have to read a section of urology. I would ignore this issue, but my nephews and nieces are coming for spring break--and the only way to have a quiet house is to have them outdoors!!

20 Comments:

  • there is a die you can get that changes colour in the pool if someone pees. You can scare the kids with this knowledge you'll have a pee free zone.

    By Blogger tkkerouac, at 10:07 AM  

  • I so hope that you don't have a leak. What a nightmare. So once you put this stuff in, are you going to have to replace all the water?

    By Blogger Drywall Mom, at 11:36 AM  

  • Hi Drywall Mom,
    Nope, the dye is colorless until it finds the leak and then the color shows up--or something like that.

    Tkkerouac,
    Nope, the rugrats are too cute to scare like that. Besides, being so young, I don't think they would really get the threat. I think negotiating with Cheetos may work better.

    By Blogger JM, at 11:42 AM  

  • I had a leak in my pond one year and that was awfully difficult to fix. I hope you don't have to drain the pool just to fix a tiny crack.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:33 PM  

  • LIke the comment above me, I had a leak in my tiny little backyard pond last year and it was a pain in the ass to fix.

    I guess that doens't make you feel any better, does it? ;)

    Steve~

    By Blogger Steven, at 3:21 PM  

  • ABS??? Stop it already!

    I just got my results from the doc-I gained 20 lbs, have a 600 tri-glycerride level, and have to go on a statin drug and lose 50 lbs!

    Take yer frigging shirt off and be happy you AINT ME Doc!

    By Blogger twolf1920, at 3:33 PM  

  • Hmmm...there's a ghost in your pool! :-D (I had too much coffee...)
    Smiles from here...I hope all is well...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:36 PM  

  • I'm sorry i can't sympathize...swimming in the winter you lucky duck....pee and all, i'd take it. It's snowing like crazy over here.

    By Blogger Miss Ash, at 3:55 PM  

  • Reminds me of an Adventures of Pete & Pete episode...

    But it seems odd that water evaporates out of a pool. I mean, we all know water evaporates, like you said, but to come back however long after filling it up and finding it empty. I just never thought of it that way.

    By Blogger Eric, at 5:43 PM  

  • come see my fat sister

    By Blogger tkkerouac, at 10:09 PM  

  • maybe it's the drain area, or maybe some homeless people sneak in at night and drink it or take baths in it

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:47 PM  

  • I hope all the peem goes out the leak...eeewww.

    By Blogger Chick, at 7:53 AM  

  • Oh the hassels with pools. Hopefully you dont have a leak, good luck. I'm not one to share public pools especially the ones kids frequent.

    By Blogger Cara Bara, at 10:28 AM  

  • Wow, you have a pool! What can I say, private pools are fab. Sorry to hear about the leak though - I hope it turns out to be phantom water nymphs or *something*, rather than a structural problem.

    Cxx

    By Blogger Claire, at 11:29 AM  

  • Maybe the kids are drinking your pool dry!

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 12:35 PM  

  • Oh, by the way - you will love this website: www.happyslip.com

    This American Pinay makes these videos making fun of her parents. It's wonderful. You would relate to the humor.

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 12:36 PM  

  • I have nothing intelligent or funny to add to this conversation. Thank you and have a lovely day.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 3:00 PM  

  • I never swim in the same water as young children. I shudder at the thought of what I might end up drinking...!

    A blog you might want to check out Angel jr.:
    laylasramblings.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Dr Vegas, at 6:26 PM  

  • At least he didn't find a dead skunk in your filter.

    By Blogger Gyrobo, at 11:12 PM  

  • If the public pool here ever gets a leak checking kit, I'm in trouble.

    By Blogger rob, at 11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home