Shaken Not Stirred

Monday, November 05, 2007

I See The Light

I spent the night with the family of my best friend on Friday. His son Josh turned 8 on Saturday and part of his birthday celebration was to get up early and play baseball at a nearby park.

At about 5:30 a.m., I felt someone shake my bed and then I heard my buddy's son say "Umm Uncle Angel is it Saturday yet". With a grumble I looked toward the digital clock on the dresser in their guest room. It registered 5:30 a.m.

I told him that it was indeed Saturday, but it was still really early in the morning. I explained that no one would be up yet and maybe he should just go back to his room and sleep until he heard everyone gathering in the kitchen. He didn't go back to room, but sat on the end of my bed and said that he would wait. Extremely sleepy, I fell back asleep.

My bed started shaking again and when I moved, Josh asked "Is it morning yet"? I looked at the digital clock which registered 5:40 a.m.

I got up, took Josh by the hand and said "Let's look outside and if the sun is up, then maybe we'll go around and wake everyone up".

We went to the front door and opened it. We stood looking at the dark blue sky speckled with a few stars and the darkness which enveloped the neighborhood.

I asked Josh, if it looked like morning.

He whispered "There Uncle Angel, I think I see it...see over there?". He was pointing to the distance beginnings of a sunrise. "There, it's morning over there".

He let go of my hand and quickly ran to his parents room. I heard him excitedly saying "It's my birthday, it's my birthday. It's already morning".

I wonder where the excitement for birthday celebrations or even for morning have gone.

Happy Birthday kiddo!! Playing baseball in park with you and your enthusiasm made my weekend!!

13 Comments:

  • kids are the bestest. spending time with them keeps us all kids at heart. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:02 PM  

  • Awww what a cutie! They do know how to make the rest of us see the light:)

    By Blogger The Egg, at 10:21 PM  

  • What a great post! It made me sad to think: my enthusasm to sleep in on my birthday is probably what defines me as an old person. I hope he had the best birthday weekend ever -- and I hope you got to sneak in a nap on the couch that afternoon!

    By Blogger kimber, at 11:49 PM  

  • Good story Angel. I like that, "It's morning over there." Kids can be pretty great.

    By Blogger Duck, at 7:59 AM  

  • "...however, getting up at 5:30am did not."

    By Blogger Aaron, at 9:28 AM  

  • Great little tale Angel. Yeah, if only we could hold onto the ignorance of life and it's daily grind and focus only on those things that bring joy.

    By Blogger Rocketstar, at 1:37 PM  

  • i'm NEVER EVER happy it's morning.
    but i'm always happy it's my birthday...

    By Blogger cher, at 2:14 PM  

  • Oh, I love that! Kids are awesome, they have such enthusiasm for life in general, let alone a birthday. It is great being around them, it is infectious.
    Have a great night Angel!
    ~xo
    Lee Ann

    By Blogger Lee Ann, at 8:21 PM  

  • Christmas morning is the worst...ugh.qh

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 12:59 AM  

  • I still have excitment for birthday celebrations but have never had excitment for mornings ever.

    By Blogger Chick, at 8:11 AM  

  • I imagine that he might have pointed to a star and told you he sees a sun from another universe - that would have got you good.

    By Blogger Big Ben, at 10:03 AM  

  • Oh if we could all go back to the innocence and joy of childhood. Life would indeed be a lot better if we all took pleasure in the simple things.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 9:57 PM  

  • I haven't been excited over my birthday in a very long time. Nice to see it in youngsters.

    By Blogger :P fuzzbox, at 3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home