Shaken Not Stirred

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Originality....

I wonder why many of the "new" movies are re-boots of old ones. Seriously, have they already run out of ideas or are they simply riding the coat tails of previous successors? I don't think there is a lack of material out there--just look at the best seller aisle in any book store. Or turn on the news, there is always a new scandal, a new late breaking story or storyline that the world follows. Do they really have to re-do old stories.

For instance, classics like Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. I know that it's old. I know that you can now see some set design flaws and because of newer technology, the Oompa Loompas won't look like spray tanned freak. However, the story has been done. It was loved and by me, is still loved. I watched the newer one and yes it has it's appeal...and the time period between Charlie getting his ticket was a lot shorter (so we missed out on the one song I didn't like as a child--"Cheer Up Charlie"). The new may have had a different twist, but didn't have that same appeal. Even my younger cousins and nephews and nieces like the older version. One niece was terrified by a squirrel scene in the newer one and has since refused to watch it again.

I know, off on a tangent. My point is, instead of duping movie goers with old ideas, try investing in some younger talent, giving a chance to a new fresh mind. I'm sure many of those writers, directors and actors who have had the doors slammed in their faces can bring in some originality. I don't know how the whole brainstorm to development panel out there works, but something has got to be done about sequels, prequels and reboots.

12 Comments:

  • Given the price to make a movie - it is safe to go with a proven winner. Much less risk.
    It is really quite a shame.
    Great bolg!
    Happy Holidays!

    By Anonymous comedyrocks.com, at 9:48 PM  

  • I can't believe they're already re-booting Spider-Man and Superman (I believe in 2012).

    And then there's that new romantic comedy where the boy meets the girl but there's some conflict or something getting in the way of their coupling that inevitably gets resolved in a heartwarming ending... That one has been done several times before and will likely be redone in several different variations as long as people continue watching such movies.

    I am encouraged by the news they're finally doing Green Lantern and The Flash movies as those are comic heroes they're yet to give the big screen treatment to.

    By Blogger Perplexio, at 3:02 PM  

  • I wish there was more originality in Hollywood as well but I think comedyrocks.com nailed it with his comment. Have a good weekend, and if you see a movie I hope it is something good.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 9:50 PM  

  • Have a good holiday hombre.

    By Blogger Rocketstar, at 10:17 AM  

  • I love both willy wonkas! That's one of my favorite movies. haha I am a dork I know

    Hope you have a great holiday season :)

    By Blogger Phats, at 2:26 AM  

  • Hear, hear!

    I'd rather they made fewer movies, but better ones. Some of the stuff this year has just been lazy and formulaic in the extreme...

    Cxx

    By Blogger Claire, at 9:02 AM  

  • Happy 2011!! Hope it's a great year for you

    By Blogger Phats, at 11:56 PM  

  • Happy New Year Angel. Hope it is going well so far.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 3:34 PM  

  • i just read today that they are going to relaunch the Lethal Weapon franchise.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 11:59 PM  

  • Hope you're doing well!

    By Blogger Phats, at 12:26 AM  

  • What is up?

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 8:51 PM  

  • http://dl3mashael.blogspot.com/2011/02/gospel-is-one-who-led-me-to-islam-bible.html

    By Blogger DL3, at 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home