Shaken Not Stirred

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Sign Your Name Right Here

Yesterday as I was leaving the Selby Library in Sarasota, Florida, a woman outside was trying to get people to become registered voters for the state. I told her that I was just down here studying and was already a registered voter in West Virginia.
Today, as I went out to move my car, so I could prolong my study (this city has a two hour parking limit or a $25 dollar fine will be given), the same woman was outside now telling people she had a petition from the American Cancer Society. Since I was weary of who she really was, I didn't stop to let her say anything to me. It just strikes me as odd that first she would be getting people's information for voter registry and now getting people to sign a petition. I'll just ignore her as one of those radical, too much on their plate, over-active, over opinionated persons. I'm being very opinionated here myself.
On to the reason I started writing--which was sparked by the words "I've got a petition...." from the neighborhood chairperson (I'm assuming she heads some sort of committee to be out her for two days with two different projects). The reason I was going to write was to ponder the issue of petitions. How far do they go in getting a point across? I've gotten email petitions, I've signed other petitions for a better society, to free wrongly jailed citizens and even to prevent forest fires. Just every type of petition you can imagine. But how far do two thousand signatures go? And do these signatures get checked to see if they are living, breating, persons?
Does anyone know what becomes of these petitions and how much weight they have on final corporate, federal or what-have-you decisions?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home