Shaken Not Stirred

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Luck of the Irish

Since giving out my email to old friends and acquaintances, ones that I've lost touch with but because of the miracle of the internet have come into contact with again, I've realized that many of them don't really use my space age address to keep in touch, but to send me silly forwards. I don't mind the occasional joke, that is really funny. I don't mind some of the cute--although taken out of Chicken Soup for the Soul, heart wrenching story. What I do mind is the forwards that say, "if you don't send this within five minutes, someone will meet an unprecendented unfortuante undoing". Or the forwards that say "your doorbell will ding or the phone will ring with the message from the love of your lifetime".

I also like the forwards that say, "this is really true, even if you aren't superstitious". I've gotten forwards that say, if you send this to 10 people, you will get a surpise in the form of a "pop-up". None of which has worked. I've sent out those "really true" forwards, wishing to hit the powerball! I'm still in sitting in front of my computer eating Funyuns and not caviar.

There was this one freaky forward a "friend" of mine sent. I'm must be on her forward list, I don't even know how she got my email address. We met during clinical rotations in medical school, briefly, didn't even talk much back then. I don't think I even know her last name, much less what she looks like anymore. Anyhow, she is one of the persons that forwards all these wish granting, Grim-reaper dodging, magical emails. The forward was of some decrepit decaying ghost that warned the ghost would come my way unless I forwarded her. Much like the movie, "The Ring", you weren't suppose to just view it, but make sure other people viewed it too. Whatever, you hit delete and pray that this person takes you off their buddy list.

Do people have nothing better to do now?
What happened to old fashioned letters of just plain hello, how you doing, and drop me a line sometime?

Oh by the way, my phone rang just a few minutes ago (granted it was half an hour after the last forward had promised it would be) and it wasn't my true love calling. It was a tele-marketer. I also deleted them!!!

8 Comments:

  • I love the ones that say if you forward to 5 then ..., to 10 then ..., more than that ....
    Don't you just love multiple choice questions :-)

    By Blogger Wriju, at 5:56 PM  

  • i hate it when people send me videos which take ages to download, when i am waiting for an important email OR when i am waiting for the comments from my blogfriends that come in my mail. grrrr

    By Blogger x, at 6:10 PM  

  • You would think that since we now have email that people would use it to better stay in touch with one another...but really email has contributed to an almost breakdown in communication. Remember letters? You would really write about things and, ironically, they were/are (I still write letters) a better way to stay in touch.

    By Blogger Anhoni Patel, at 6:36 PM  

  • Yeah these forwards are getting out of control. I decided to send only the hilarious ones! Sometimes it's nice to get a good joke. I laugh to myself while everyone around me gives me bizzare looks. Hehehehe!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:23 AM  

  • Oh Hey, I deleted that one too. I get perverse satisfaction out of staring bad luck in the face and deleting chain email. FUCK YOU chain letters, bad luck, HA!

    Anyway, the one she sent you, was it the one where the guy is lying in bed, and there is the ghost of some girl who is supposed to have died (or to have been murdered) under the bed, and - to tell you the truth - it IS actually quite a frightening photo but I deleted it anyway - was it that one?

    By Blogger Sydney, at 11:37 AM  

  • Yes Sydney it was that one, with the ghost floating underneath the hospital bed. Very eerie looking. It's okay to use expletives because something you can't find the right adjective to express a given statement. I use them all the time to get my point across!

    By Blogger JM, at 3:10 PM  

  • Yeah, I've got a friend who sends me those sort of things. Despite it, I love her anyway. Sigh...

    By Blogger Spider Girl, at 2:05 AM  

  • I am notoriously anti-forward. I will reply to 'unsubscribe' from a friend's forward list if they continually send them. ;)

    By Blogger Luke, at 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home