Shaken Not Stirred

Monday, October 31, 2005

Trick or Treat, a Fancy Form of Begging

Halloween was celebrated in my town tonight. My sister-in-law brought my nephew and niece over to our neighborhood to trick or treat. She said she loved this place and because there was so many kids said the scene reminded her of the one from E.T. (are we suppose to italicize movies, books or other such things? You would think that I would know by now).
After handing out what seemed like my 100th laffy taffy, Nerds, Sweet Tarts and Runts, I just realized that for the most part it's kinda like begging. A child goes from door to door, holding out their hands asking for candy. I'm not saying that it wasn't fun when I did it. Of course in my day, my costume came in a box, was made of solid plastic--I drew in oxygen from a small hole punched into the mouh. This mask was held to my face by a thin rubber band which always snapped before the 6th house and the suit was made of an inflammable trash bag. Today children have magnificent costumes made of cloth and authentic cinematic make-up.
I have tons of candy left over, so if anybody wants some just pop on by. With or without a costume.

9 Comments:

  • At least you HAD trick or treaters. I had a bunch of teenagers walking by telling me happy birthday. (It wasn't my birthday.) So much candy left over. I guess I'll take it into work!

    By Blogger Luke, at 9:33 PM  

  • Trick or Treat! Got any Reese's cups we're all out here! :<}

    By Blogger Skye, at 10:19 PM  

  • Yeah as Luke said..we didn't have any trick or treaters. Oh well...more candy for me! Halloween memories..the worst was when I decided to be a garbage bag. Thought it was so cool and original. After 10 minutes, I left a nice trail of crumpled newspaper and was half-naked! You'll get a kick out of the picture!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:08 AM  

  • I wish I had grown up here, seems like a lot of fun festivals.

    I sure did have my own share of festivals while growing in such a diverse country with so many different cultures.

    Its these things that make this world a more beautiful place

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:11 AM  

  • It was raining all evening, so I took my son to the mall.

    This year, we decided to work on his Halloween costume together - he wanted to be a Transformer robot. We worked on this costume for over a month, and it was well worth it.

    Sometimes, the most joy is getting there, as we had a great time working on our project together.

    My favorite costume from when I was a kid was my Gene Simmons costume, just like the one you were describing. It had the long hair in ponytails and long tongue. Scared the crap outta the little kids - it was great.

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 12:00 PM  

  • You triggered some good memories talking about the crappy Halloween costumes we had as kids. I vividly remember those pathetic masks.
    And in case you care, movies should be put in quotes.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 12:26 PM  

  • Did you say candy? I am hungry already :-)
    Call it begging if you will, but Halloween always makes me want to be a kid again.

    By Blogger Wriju, at 4:00 PM  

  • We didn't even have any trick or treaters...sadly. There are kids all over freakin' neighborhood too, I think they just go somewhere else. God, I love Halloween.

    By Blogger Anhoni Patel, at 6:08 PM  

  • save some candy for someone who lives somewhere where they don't celebrate Halloween, sniff!

    By Blogger x, at 3:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home