Shaken Not Stirred

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Ain't No Mountain High Enough

During medical school, my friends and I became a family. There was about 15 of us all in all--all American students, studying abroad. We were apart from our own families, so we slowly began to rely on each other for the little things.

Since we've recently graduated, we have spread apart. And now this new family that we created has been spread apart. I'm in West Virginia of course, but others are in Florida, South Carolina, Indiana, California, Tennessee, New York, New Jersey, and Arizona. We've gone our separate ways.

It's funny how you grow to depend on people. Take for instance my friend Mulan (I wrote about her before--she makes me watch Lifetime Television for Women). I was so dependent on her in medical school for everything from organize my notes to helping me out for dinner. We were on the phone last night and she asked me what I had for dinner. I told her that I had a bowl of instant rice pilaf. I was happy--she was perturbed that I was not "eating correctly". What is correct eating?

She told me that she was going to come down and make sure that I was eating three decent meals a day. Wouldn't that be cool, having a "wife" without having the commitment? I wonder if casual sex could be a part of this set-up.

Anyway, the small family that we've created have kept in touch thanks to Cingular, no roaming and free cell to cell. We still all depend emotionally on one another and talk just as much, if not more than when we all were in class. It's nice to know that one can create a family wherever they go. A house is not a home. A home is the people who occupy it.

That was cheesy. I'm going to stop before it clogs the arteries.

28 Comments:

  • MMMMulan... she sounds really nice.....

    a wife without commitment ?? angel, don't disappoint me like that boy!

    By Blogger madame P, at 10:00 AM  

  • A wife without the commitment - if you find one, you better share.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:39 AM  

  • Yep, I think you have it bad. She will rope you in the end.

    By Blogger :P fuzzbox, at 10:44 AM  

  • Mulan?

    Who are your other friends, Aladdin and Simba?

    Just kidding - you've talked about Mulan quite a bit before. I think deep down, you know she could be the one. Just an observation.

    By the way, you were my 30,000 hit. I put a little announcement on the second post on my blog about it.

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 11:21 AM  

  • I love it. It is great to have a connection like that...blogging is sorta like that. I like to find out what is going on with people I have been "blogging with"...is there such a thing as casual sex? My dad always talks about "my eating habits", I guess all the stuff that does not really taste all that great would be considered good for you. If only I could cook like him, I would def. eat better! My knowledge of cooking is let's just say....limited...hahah...spaghetti,chicken & rice, meat and beans....oh lordy...after awhile you get sick of the same thing! I need to buy a cookbook! On a sep. note its great that you have a network all over the us! and it's awesome that distance has not stopped your relationship with one another.

    By Blogger Cari, at 12:50 PM  

  • angel, I loved this post. I think it's great to use this forum to be honest and talk about the real world struggles. I think it's so wonderful that you made a second family in Medical school. Cherish it. Mulan is either just very maternal (as I am with my friends) or as the others say, likes you- "a lot".

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:50 PM  

  • "Wouldn't that be cool, having a "wife" without having the commitment? I wonder if casual sex could be a part of this set-up."

    You have made the point much stronger in the essay I'm about to write for a class on the relationships between men and women.

    By Blogger Sweet Tea, at 1:46 PM  

  • Friends with benefits. I think that is an urban legend.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 2:07 PM  

  • no, angel, it's sweet. And very true.

    By Blogger blackcrag, at 2:26 PM  

  • That's cool that you can still talk to your friends after you move away. I only have a few like that.

    By Blogger Drywall Mom, at 2:34 PM  

  • It's always good to appreciate those around you adn it's nice to hear about them.

    By Blogger epicurist, at 3:11 PM  

  • Reminds me of my days in Engineering School. I recently met up with two of my oldest friends - one was in Singapore, the other in San Francisco!

    By Blogger Wriju, at 4:27 PM  

  • not cheesy at all! and it sounds like this girl wants to be your wife...or she's just really health concious...u might want to ask her about the casual sex part- in casual converstion..hehe. :)

    By Blogger Foxy, at 6:43 PM  

  • Awwww. I think it was a sweet post!!!

    By Blogger Lindsey, at 7:41 PM  

  • One of these days, we need a blogging party

    By Blogger j merlino, at 10:59 PM  

  • Nah, not cheesy at all. Mulan sounds like someone you really like from the last and this post !

    I'm like you, friends are my most important assets and I have a few for who I'd do anything, no bounds !

    cheers

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:13 AM  

  • Now that was tender...

    hope you are a cartiologist...

    By Blogger LBseahag, at 2:56 AM  

  • That is so cool, Angel. Friends make the best family, because you get to choose them.
    Have a great weekend, take care, Meow

    By Blogger Meow (aka Connie), at 5:13 AM  

  • So great that you guys all support one another in this way; not cheesy, just true...

    By Blogger Cathy, at 8:17 AM  

  • cHEESY? yES. fUNNY? yOUbETCHA!

    By Blogger Greg - Cowboy in the Jungle, at 11:45 PM  

  • Damn Caps Lock!

    By Blogger Greg - Cowboy in the Jungle, at 11:45 PM  

  • Nice post! I can relate:) I racked up terrible long-distance bills b/c of the withdrawal.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:35 AM  

  • i like cheesy, artery clogging and all. my sister's in med school and she says it's her friends and family that help her get through it. people become really close when they share difficult times.

    By Blogger j, at 3:11 AM  

  • Hey, Angel! I mailed the postcard today xx

    By Blogger missy, at 6:42 AM  

  • It may be on the cheesy side, but it certainly true. I think we really do get to choose who our family is in life.

    By Blogger Chipper, at 3:21 PM  

  • Correct eating is a whole fillet of fish.

    Duh. From McDonald's.

    I'm loving it.

    By Blogger Gyrobo, at 10:53 PM  

  • A wife without commitment? Are you referring to a concubine? By the way one of Cupid's arrows is so sticking out of you butt.

    By Blogger Walter, at 1:54 AM  

  • Connections are important! I've always had friends form all over and now with blogging- it's much bigger! One big huge family of cool people!

    By Blogger mkecurler, at 10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home