Shaken Not Stirred

Sunday, January 29, 2006

You Cannot Sell Ice to A Desert Hermit

A few days ago I got a call from some saleslady. I shouldn't say I got a call because the call came on my father's cell phone. He left the phone with me because he wanted me to answer all the phone calls that he got--and then to relay the message to him. He and my mother went to the Philippines to participate in a medical mission (a Doctors Without Borders type thing). Anyway, his cell phone rang and I of course answered it. It was the weirdest conversation I've had.

Me: "Hello".
Strange person: "Hi, may I speak with Angel?"
Me: "Speaking" (it's a reflex-I'm a junior)
Strange person: "Hi, I just wanted to ask you if you'd like to extend the warranty on your
recently purchased electronic toy"
Me: "Ummm, it still works."--I don't feel comfortable giving credit card information on the
phone.
Strange person: "I see that the warranty runs on Feb 4th"
Me: "What? I bought the thing in June" (Flash of light---I remember the person was looking for
my father). "You know, you will want to speak to my father. He's out of the country right
now. I can give him the message".
Strange person: "We need him to reply before such and such a time. Is he away on business?"
Me: "Sort of. He's on a medical mission, doing free medical clinics and such in the Philippines"
Strange person: "Like in the forest?"

The strange person lost me at that very moment. The rest of the conversation is a blur. It's an island not a forest. When I hear the word forest, I think of Hansel and Gretel. And why would anyone associate free medical help with the forest? Does the word Philippines conjur up images of a "forest"? For most people at the very least, it conjurs up images of a ousted president, his wife and her shoes!!!!

I wonder how many extended warranties this person has managed to sell. And I wonder why I gave out so much personal information on the phone.

25 Comments:

  • You probably gave out the info as a nervous reaction. What is it about bad salesman that try to interject commentary about things they know nothing about? Oh wait a sec, I do that all the time when commenting on blogs. Nevermind.

    By Blogger :P fuzzbox, at 10:11 PM  

  • Wow, I never give any information more than necessary

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:59 PM  

  • Giving information to anyone you don't know is risky.
    Especially the stupid ones!

    By Blogger Tai, at 11:37 PM  

  • Sounds like somebody needs some Geography 101...

    By Blogger JJ, at 9:20 AM  

  • People that do those kind of jobs are in a class of their own. I would go crazy doing their job.

    By Blogger Drywall Mom, at 9:24 AM  

  • Why would it even matter what type of terrain your father is working in? What a moron.

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 10:28 AM  

  • The forest? Wtf?!? That's an instant classic.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:58 AM  

  • The Phillipines for me always conjure up images of small children assembling clothes that will be sold in America for enough money to support their entire family for a month, even though they only received 6 cents for making it.

    By Blogger ers, at 11:33 AM  

  • Your dad's name is Angel too? That's cool. And I wanna go to the Phillipines now!

    By Blogger Luke, at 1:06 PM  

  • I love the Philippines! They have one of the best dive sites in the world! I think it is appalling how so many people have limited knowledge of general geography.

    By Blogger missy, at 1:35 PM  

  • So you are saying the Phillipines are not a big forest on the other side of the world? ;-)

    By Blogger Chipper, at 2:08 PM  

  • While I realize these people have to make a living too...it doesn't mean you have to be subjected to their absolute & total stupidity.

    By Blogger Chick, at 2:49 PM  

  • Forest ... jungle ... it's all the same. Trees are trees, maybe the guy's just not a botany buff.

    (But he still comes off looking bad. And not the kind of person I'd give ANY info to!)

    -- david

    By Blogger David Amulet, at 3:06 PM  

  • In the forest? I think your dad is a keebler elf...

    By Blogger LBseahag, at 4:33 PM  

  • well the first thing i think of when I hear phillipines is not forest..

    they person was asking way too many questions...

    and maybe you should of given them a geaorpahy lesson to boot;)

    wow, impressive about your dad..thats good work hes done..im sure you will follow in his foot steps.

    By Blogger eyes_only4him, at 5:59 PM  

  • Maybe he can't see the forest through the trees.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 6:46 PM  

  • Maybe he can't see the forest through the trees.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 6:46 PM  

  • I HATE sales people...they drive me up the wall.

    By Blogger Lindsey, at 7:13 PM  

  • I really don't think any of those extended warranties are worthwhile. I never give any personal information over the phone. Too much deception out there.

    By Blogger Lee Ann, at 7:38 PM  

  • if you have the guy on Caller ID, you might let his know that Street Smarts is always looking for contestatnts

    By Blogger Jim, at 8:30 PM  

  • LOL, some people either got it or they don't- that's the gift of gab. That's what sells... :)

    By Blogger Foxy, at 11:28 PM  

  • warranty on an "electronic toy"? What is this electronic toy?

    By Blogger epicurist, at 1:29 PM  

  • Now now. We're being a bit harsh eh? Some people haven't set foot anywhere besides their backyards. I guess you just gotta forgive them for not knowing. I've been mistaken for being a gypsy:-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:35 PM  

  • Um...what kind of electronic toy?

    By Blogger Anhoni Patel, at 8:04 PM  

  • Oh lordy. And here I thought the Phillipines were an army, not a forest.

    Wait, that was the Philistines. Er...

    Just kidding.

    By Blogger Aud*2020, at 10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home