Shaken Not Stirred

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The Smell of Manhood

My cousin Trey had his Confirmation ceremony on Sunday. Confirmation is for Catholics, what Bar Mitvah's are for the Jewish (I think). It's a rite of passage in which Catholic children confirm their beliefs in the church and basically enter into adulthood as functioning Catholics. Again, this is my perception of it, was my perception of it when it happened to me and the perception I got out of it watching many ceremonies occur.
Trey had his party at his home. Lots of food and music. Of course, we included pork on the menu. I think that Bar Mitzvahs don't have pork. And there was lots of money given. Because we are of Filipino descent, there was also a karaoke machine for our parent's/the elderly guests enjoyment. They used it too--it was magic stick as well. It didn't do anything magical for their voices. They still sounded the same--out of tune, but happy.
I saw Trey in the midst of the crowd and called him over so that I could congratulate him. Having gone through all the classes for confirmation and gone through the ceremony many years ago (many, many, many) I was proud that he made it though. I gave him a hug and was taken aback by a musky/fresh smell. I hugged him again and then asked, "Are you wearing cologne?".
He smirked and said, "Someone gave it to me as a confirmation gift". He said this rather defensively.
I told him that I wasn't berating him. I just said I was surprised that he was wearing it.
The reason that it took me by surprise was because I use to associate cologne with "grown-ups". I remember getting my first cologne--Polo at about the age of 18 and thinking it was a pretty big deal to wear. Trey is only 14, a mere baby in my eyes.
Maybe it's because I watched him grow up. I remember when his parents told me about his first steps. I also remember a few other things--like the fact that he loved playing outside. It didn't matter what the temperature was, he loved being outside. The cologne was a new scent on Trey. The scent I remember is a mixture of children sweat with the woodsy smell of being outdoors.
At the end of the night when I was saying goodbye. I hugged him again. I must have made a face, because Trey smirked and bit his lower lip to keep from going into complete laughter.
He said, "It's called Lacoste".
I told him it smelled great and gave him another hug.
While driving my car, I cracked the window open to let some cold air in. Just then, I got a whiff of that woodsy, outdoor smell that use to cling to my younger cousin's clothes.

28 Comments:

  • The magic stick makes another appearance! yay!

    ah...growing up.

    By Blogger Anhoni Patel, at 8:55 PM  

  • 14 is not too young to wear cologne. We started messing with it at around 12. I couldn't stand it, as it made my eyes water.

    To this day, I still use the "fly" method. I spray cologone about three feet in front of me - maybe 2 pumps.
    Then I leap through the cologne mist.

    Works for me, and the scent doesn't get too strong.

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 10:04 PM  

  • That was absolutely a tender story...and perfect timing....

    This morning in my apartment elevator I had an asthma attack from trapped cologne from someone who must've just gotten off....

    men need to continue smelling like sweaty nuts.

    By Blogger LBseahag, at 10:21 PM  

  • Great posts. The last confirmation I went to ended up with too much Jameson!

    By Blogger mkecurler, at 10:44 PM  

  • I believe phoenix has the right idea. Too much cologne is like admitting that your natural smell is so hideous that you must hide it behind a fog of artificial scent. And Congrats to your cuz!

    By Blogger :P fuzzbox, at 11:00 PM  

  • isn't it a *right of passage* when you were your first cologne?

    {i remember sneaking on my first lipstick in my early teens} : )

    i enjoyed your 'warm fuzzy' story.

    By Blogger Karen, at 11:09 PM  

  • Nice ! :-) I started wearing cologne when I was about 14 too I think

    cheers

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:04 AM  

  • moral of the story: never wear colognes with a crocodile on the bottle

    By Blogger x, at 3:44 AM  

  • I went through Confirmation but no-one gave me cologne! AND there were certainly no Magic Sticks!!

    I'm feeling jealous...

    By Blogger ziggystardust73, at 4:23 AM  

  • Well, he's growing up. Congradulations on his confirmation. I'm sure the cologne made him feel grown up.

    By Blogger Lucy Stern, at 8:57 AM  

  • This post should be preserved on the front page forever, only because it references the magic stick. Hooray, magic stick!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:03 AM  

  • what happened to the blogger ability to change the date of your posts? i can't do it anymore, is it the same for you?

    By Blogger Kyle Foley, at 11:13 AM  

  • loved the story..

    is it weird my 9 year old son wears cologne before heading out to school?...

    By Blogger eyes_only4him, at 12:01 PM  

  • Sweet story! Loved the ending:-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:20 PM  

  • I wear a cologne called "Don't Effin Talk to Me," it smells like a soiled diaper and is very effective.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 12:29 PM  

  • For Festivusitians the "Fester" is the equivalent of the Catholic Confirmation and the Jewish Bar Mitzvah. During my Fester my uncle gave me a bottle of cologne called "High Karate". He said if I wore it I'd need to use Karate to fend off the ladies. Since I can't hit a woman I never used it.

    By Blogger Walter, at 3:00 PM  

  • Lovely post :-)
    I used to associate shaving with growing up. When I started it used to be once a month and I would feel sad that the beard wouldn't grow fast enough. These days I find it such a chore to shave everyday.
    I am among those who use copious amounts of aftershave! Recently I met up with my cousin and she was complaining that my aftershave spoilt her lunch ;-)

    By Blogger Wriju, at 3:22 PM  

  • cute- its the magic age of puberty isn't it? first calogne, then gel, shaving and girls. i'm only guessing..:) oh, to be young again!

    By Blogger Foxy, at 3:29 PM  

  • Sorry I have not commented lately...there is a lot going on and I have to deal with it as it comes at me. Iam sure you understand. I just did not want you to think I forgot you! I sill stop by asap and catch up....I love your posts!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:32 PM  

  • Oh, that is awesome. I am Episcopalian, we have Confirmation too. We actually started as Catholics, but later broke away to form Episcopal. We have very similar services.

    By Blogger Lee Ann, at 5:26 PM  

  • That's some strong colone.

    By Blogger Drywall Mom, at 5:45 PM  

  • What a lovely, warm & fuzzy story. It was great. Thanks for sharing. Take care, Meow

    By Blogger Meow (aka Connie), at 7:10 PM  

  • That was a cool story man!

    By Blogger twolf1920, at 7:39 PM  

  • Awwww. That was a sweet post.

    By Blogger Lindsey, at 7:40 PM  

  • god i love karaoke. is it an asian thing? i think it might be. *sigh* growing up is such a bittersweet process.

    By Blogger j, at 7:50 PM  

  • lovely post :)

    everyone has to grow up sometime

    cologne is good, but cologne and the after-smell of cigarette smoke, mmmmmm

    By Blogger Leila, at 3:57 AM  

  • Polo! I haven't heard of that in years. That was my first cologne as well. Now it makes me a bit ill, it just smells so ... so seventh grade ...

    -- david

    By Blogger David Amulet, at 8:14 AM  

  • I love Lacoste. I've had the cologne for quite sometime as well.

    By Blogger epicurist, at 3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home