Shaken Not Stirred

Friday, February 10, 2006

Musicals

I like having thousands of songs at my fingertips. Practically every CD I own stored into a little white box. However, I also like the fact that my iPod gives me the ability to create playlists--my favorite songs to be played whenever the mood hits me.

One of my playlists contains music that to me is nostalgic, not because the music is old, but because they conjure up certain feelings and memories.

Some of the most played songs on my iPod are:
"Collide" by Howie Day.
"100 Years" by Five for Fighting
"Ordinary People" by John Legend
"Tiny Dancer" by Tim McGraw (no Elton on my pod)
"Must Be Doing Something Right" by Billy Currington
"No Ordinary Love" by Jennifer Love Hewitt--doesn't induce many memories, but doesn't she have great cleavage?
"For Once in My Life" by Stevie Wonder
"My Humps" by Black Eyed Peas
"You're Beautiful" by James Blunt
"Since You've Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson
"Independence Day" by Carrie Underwood
"You and Me" by Kenny Chesney

No matter how many times I listen to these songs, most of them draw forth the same memories from my vast wasteland of knowledge, otherwise known as my brain. I can even remember minute details like the way the air smelled and what I was thinking at the time.

I don't know why, but I create these "videos" in my mind to the songs that are on my iPod and they are modified versions of the memories that are drawn when the song pops up. The outcome is always the same, the storyline is just Hollywooded--you know my friends and I look better (I don't have a gut and I'm 6 ft tall). Plus the setting is better-- beachfront instead of poolside, restaurants instead of picnic tables and Jamaica instead of a backyard). We never tapdance, never sing, nor is anyone wearing ruffles (although a few times they are eating them). But the song plays as backdrop to my memory. The song ends and then so does a memory, until the next song pulls a new one back up again.

20 Comments:

  • Music is my inner peace. I don't know what I would do without it. I love all kinds of music. It is universal, it can comfort you when your down, play along with your happiness, spark up old memories. This is crazy but whenever I hear "Lady in Red", I think about my highschool crush who I absolutely adored!!! I never had the balls to really tell him I liked him, or even do anything about it...he suprised me one day at lunch there we were hearing the announcements for the day and they talk about the "sweethearts dance" coming up....I quickly scan the cafeteria and find my love in his usual spot. I see him walking over to me, (mind you I think I am daydreaming) I hear my friend say CAROLINE! He is coming over here to talk to you! The song lady in red comes on, and he asks me to dance with him IN THE MIDDLe of the cafeteria! I was so fregin exited & embarrased at the same time...but I accepted. :) See what ONE song does to me? I am with you on Kelly C. and John L. my fav picks too. :)

    By Blogger Cari, at 10:55 AM  

  • Sadly, I did not get the iPod-with-breast-cam that you apparently have.

    -- david

    By Blogger David Amulet, at 11:40 AM  

  • Gotta use the best of your imagination! Music is good medicine.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:59 AM  

  • Jennifer Love Hewitt induces great memories for me but they are mostly about her mammories.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 12:54 PM  

  • Jennifer Love Hewitt? Are you serious?

    I guess I shouldn't make fun of you. I do have ONE Air Supply song on my ipod.

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 1:10 PM  

  • Carrie Underwood? I take it your an Idol fan.

    By Blogger :P fuzzbox, at 2:14 PM  

  • I like the playlist(though I think Elton John's rendidiotn better than Tim McGraw)

    By Blogger Chipper, at 3:26 PM  

  • When I was a kid I used to write music videos in my mind. I thought I was going to be famous.

    By Blogger Lindsey, at 6:34 PM  

  • i love music that makes me remember a certain time in my life, makes me feel warm inside.

    By Blogger j, at 9:00 PM  

  • Where is the David Bowie?
    just kidding.

    seriously, at least get Young Americans on there! That's a great mind video song!

    By Blogger mkecurler, at 12:55 AM  

  • You should post the name of the playlists you have on your iPod :-)

    By Blogger missy, at 1:15 AM  

  • Yeah, what Shife said. Those things are amazing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:05 PM  

  • I am sorry to say, but I don't have an IPod. I am so out dated.

    By Blogger Drywall Mom, at 9:39 PM  

  • I agree, I have so many songs. I sometimes remember a certain occasion and I just have to listen to that song and I always have it .... on my iPod. love that thing. - I used to travel with a lot of my cd's ( my collection is over 900 cd's ) but cant ever imagine doing anymore

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:50 AM  

  • Music is wonderful, how it draws you into dreaming, and remembering different times of our lives.
    I don't have an iPod, yet, but hope to get one soon, as it is a real drag having to change CD's all the time. I have so many of them, it would be great to have them all in one place.
    Take care, Meow

    By Blogger Meow (aka Connie), at 5:10 AM  

  • i love my ipod too for the same reasons, the playlists...you can delete and add and arrange the songs any which way. and music does spark memories, just as a certain scent would, have you ever smelled something that had the same effect as listening to an old song- that put you back into a certain place or time?

    By Blogger Foxy, at 9:20 AM  

  • I wish I knew more songs that would bring memories of great breasts

    By Blogger Big Ben, at 11:20 AM  

  • I'm the same way when it comes to music and mental videos. I can still recall things I was doing when I was five years old because of certain songs that were playing (while I was playing). It's amazing how much music can invoke.

    Your playlist is quite diverse. You gotta love someone who can appreciate anything from Tim McGraw to JLH!

    I think iPods are overrated, though. My friend got one for Christmas and said it changed her life. So I decided to get with the times and check out MP3 players in general. I ended up getting one that was 1/3 of the cost and has twice as many features. I'm just not getting this iPod craze...I REALLY must be getting old!

    By Blogger Aud*2020, at 12:35 PM  

  • As witnessed by my 3000+ mp'3, I love music. All types. Well, most types.

    By Blogger j merlino, at 3:33 PM  

  • Must take an awfully long time to organize...

    By Blogger Luke, at 1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home