Shaken Not Stirred

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Surfing The Cable Waves

One of my best friends and I spend a lot of time on the phone together. We study together on the phone--well her more than me. I can't seem to juggle a phone conversation and pathology flash cards at the same time (I don't really have to juggle the phone since my razr has blue-tooth capability). And than later after quizzing one another, we "watch" television while chatting. She flips through the channels and tells me of the interesting shows she happens upon. Mulan (as I so affectionately call her--it's a nickname I made up for her because of her flowy dark hair and maybe two or three generations ago, she was of Chinese lineage) then urges me to check out whatever she is watching. Unlucky for me, she doesn't ever check to see what Cinemax is playing after 10 p.m. It goes something like this....

Mulan: "Oh God, what is going with Bravo?"
Me: "Hold on a second, I'll tell you." I then fumble for the remote and switch it to Bravo
Me: "Those metrosexual guys are plucking that hairy guy's unibrow."
Mulan: "Oh, okay."
A few minutes of silence
Mulan: "Why is Meredith Baxter Birney crying again?"
Me: "What channel?"
Mulan: "W.E., err...um....Women's Entertainment channel. It's a branch of Lifetime".
Me: "Hold on, I gotta have sometime to find it on my cable."
Mulan: "Holding,! Luckily she's having an emotional convulsion. It looks like she's going to cry awhile"
Me: "The info bar says her lawyer husband is having an affair with her best friend's daughter Didn't she have a lawyer husband who had an affair in the movie 'Betty Broderick:A Woman Scorned?"
Mulan: "Probably? Hey, look on HBO, is that the Kevin Connolly that is dating Nikki Hilton".
Me: "Yeah".

Okay, if we roll back a few minutes through the conversation, why do I know that Meredith Baxter Birney played another scorned lawyer's wife? I don't watch "Lifetime" all that much, except for when Mulan and I do the let's watch television together. If a chick can get me to watch that channel, I think it means we've crossed the line between friendship. It also may mean we've crossed way over the line of being more than friends--once you've squeezed my testicles with a vice, you don't ever get a chance to play with them again. So I'm not sure where you would file our relationship.

She's been my friend forever--well it feels that way because that is how long medical school lasts. She saved me from being homesick. She rolled her eyes when I told her I was fat. She rolled her eyes when I told her that I would rather be Draco Malfoy, rather than Harry Potter. And she rolled her eyes when I told her that I was going to wear my graduation cap for a week. She rolled her eyes when I would devour that mixed bag of candy comprised of gummi bears, sour patch kids and jelly beans that we would buy in one of those shops that charge $2.49 per pound. She actually likes my six pairs of overalls (but laughs that most of them had to be name brands). When we go out to eat, she can tell the waiter what I'll be having even if I haven't told her what I wanted. And although it sounds like I might be falling for her, like I said you can't date someone you've watched "Lifetime" with. It's more embarassing than seeing "it' shriveled from being in the pool too long.

So aside from surfing channels, you can also say that we've surfed through the waves of life as well. And I would like to thank her for helping me keep balance.

28 Comments:

  • Sounds like you're going to marry her someday.

    Just an observation.

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 10:52 AM  

  • It is indeed rare to find someone you can share lots of common with and just generally someone you can have a laugh with!

    By Blogger missy, at 11:58 AM  

  • I have a friend like that Angel. I married her seven, no eight, months ago.

    You know. Just a heads up.

    By Blogger Max, at 12:15 PM  

  • It sound like you have more than friendship feelings for this girl. Especially if she can get you to watch those channels. I can't even watch those channels.

    By Blogger Drywall Mom, at 12:33 PM  

  • I don't know about all this getting married stuff, but I love that you called it "it." Totally the highlight of my day.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:06 PM  

  • Sounds like you have a good friend, too.

    By Blogger Lucy Stern, at 1:44 PM  

  • sounds like fun... what's ur phone number ??

    By Blogger madame P, at 2:10 PM  

  • I had a friend like that...for 8 years. Everyone thought we were going to get married, but he turned out to be a complete asshole, and tried to kill me one day...we dont talk anymore..LOL!!!

    By Blogger Princess Pessimism, at 2:11 PM  

  • good friends are hard to come by..

    good friends make good spouces. Im just sayin:)

    thanks for stopping by

    By Blogger eyes_only4him, at 4:02 PM  

  • Good friends, or good lovers. Whatever. It's all good.

    By Blogger TLP, at 4:56 PM  

  • aww you're a good friend for watching lifetime with her (unless you actually enjoy watching it). she sounds like a keeper.

    By Blogger j, at 7:09 PM  

  • this sounds like the best kind of friendship; perfect, warm and fuzzy(:) you are fortunate.

    By Blogger Cathy, at 8:13 PM  

  • I miss having female friends.

    But maybe when she is drunk you can feel her up, just as an experiment to see if you like her.

    By Blogger Big Ben, at 8:51 PM  

  • Sounds like Mulan is indeed a good friend. Hang on to here.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 9:34 PM  

  • You'd rather be Draco??

    By Blogger JJ, at 9:39 PM  

  • I think Max is onto something.

    Will you invite all your blogging friends to the wedding ?

    By Blogger j merlino, at 12:16 AM  

  • Awesome! I understand the bond:-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:57 AM  

  • what phoenix said...

    By Blogger ziggystardust73, at 5:40 AM  

  • I love those...keep you balanced friends.

    I can't read anything into it...I've had many friends like that...that I never ended up dating...but you just never know.

    By Blogger Chick, at 8:16 AM  

  • She sounds like a true treasure. How fortunate you are to have each other.

    By Blogger Chipper, at 9:52 AM  

  • I've been asking this to everyone: do you know someone named "Greg Sandwich"?

    By Blogger Gyrobo, at 1:29 PM  

  • mesmerized? really? haha.

    By Blogger j, at 2:15 PM  

  • Sounds like you've found a friend of a life time. :)

    By Blogger Luke, at 4:39 PM  

  • I would think that you would have to date the person that you watched Lifetime with. If nothing else than to justify watching that stuff. And that is one great candy combo.

    By Blogger :P fuzzbox, at 8:41 PM  

  • That is sooo cool!

    By Blogger Skye, at 9:55 PM  

  • It's really cool that you've got someone like that with you. Plus...she's lucky b/c not many men will spend that much time on the phone and most certainly won't check out Bravo and Lifetime.

    By Blogger Lindsey, at 1:23 PM  

  • People who watch lifetime together...spend it together :)

    Thanks for stopping by to visit me!

    By Blogger TamWill, at 1:57 PM  

  • you need to go out and have some random sex.

    By Blogger LBseahag, at 3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home