Shaken Not Stirred

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Ouch

I've recently been watching MTV's "Scarred". A very painful show in which they show bone crushing accidents. I cringe in pain when I see these dare-devils land awkwardly on a limb which snaps under pressure.

When I was doing my emergency room rotation, I saw up close the aftermath of these accidents. The blood, the bone poking through skin, and the twisted extremities didn't bother me. I was fascinated as I watched orthopedic surgeons twist these body parts back to the right position. Now that I have seen how these limbs became contorted, I wonder if the blood and gore will bother me.

Has anyone seen this show? And where do they get the footage. I know at the beginning there is a disclaimer asking viewers not to send in their video clips. It is probably to protect them--I seem to recall something about an under-aged child lighting something on fire because he saw it on Beavis and Butthead. Unless of course that is one of those urban legends. So I'm wondering, if no one ever sent in any cell phone, video-camera, digital photo clips, where did they get the film?

If you haven't and are curious, but don't have a weak stomach--check it out. It will make you scream OUCH!!

17 Comments:

  • Actually, that wasn't urban legend. MTV was sued by that family over Beavis and Butthead. I don't think they won anything out of it, but that's when the disclaimer started appearing on the show.

    By Blogger Aaron, at 7:49 AM  

  • I haven't seen it but it sounds brutal...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:25 AM  

  • I've seen shows like the one you mentioned where a skater, or bmx rider lands wrong, or some person attempting some stunt doesn't pull it off and lands with a contusion, dislocation or a bone breaking. For the most part it's one of their friends video taping the stunt for posterity thinking they'll land the trick, but they don't land the trick and it ends up on national tv.

    By Blogger -Papa, at 10:08 AM  

  • Urgh.....even reading this post gave me the heebiejeebies. I am such a wuss.

    Cxx

    By Blogger Claire, at 11:44 AM  

  • I'll have to watch it. It sounds like Jackass plus consequences.

    By Blogger :P fuzzbox, at 12:52 PM  

  • You know, I actually have watched one episode of it (I don't have cable, so I caught it at my parents one weekend). I saw the one where the guy jumped so many cars on his motorcycle and he came down and was drug by his bike. The doctors had to remove and re-attach his face (something like that). Pretty gross. BUT I liked the show...hehehe

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:27 PM  

  • i'll check it out. i may have to look away on the very gruesome parts. ;)

    By Blogger Trixie, at 5:56 PM  

  • I have a weak stomach, I hate programs like that. Don't think I'll check it out.

    By Blogger Big Ben, at 6:30 PM  

  • Ouch...can't watch it as I had too many of those accidents as a kid.

    By Blogger Chick, at 10:42 PM  

  • A compound fracture is most definitely the one thing I cannot handle seeing. I have nearly dropped to the ground when witnessing that in the past!
    ::cringe::

    By Blogger Lee Ann, at 11:24 PM  

  • so how bad is it if you have a strained tendon, and continue to use it?

    By Blogger Phats, at 1:30 AM  

  • I wouldn't be able to watch. I'm a wuss!

    By Blogger The Egg, at 10:40 AM  

  • Never seen the show you are talking about. It sounds an even more brutal version of Jackass. I guess this is just another way to thin the herd.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 2:00 PM  

  • Americans love pain, for some odd reason. I have trouble watching this stuff.

    By Blogger Rocketstar, at 11:29 PM  

  • Oh my...I haven't seen the show, but I've seen the commercials and even the little 30 second sound bytes give my heart a little jolt! I'm too much of a wuss to watch that stuff!

    By Blogger Katie, at 11:51 PM  

  • I saw approx 30 seconds and had to turn it off. But enjoy!

    By Blogger S.B., at 12:27 PM  

  • I guess they're still trying to shock us. Next, they'll do something about bathroom cams and stomach viruses.

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home