Shaken Not Stirred

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Socially Inept

This weekend I went out with my buddy and his college friends. It's been so long since I've gone out that I'm sure these guys thought "what rock did he crawl out from under". At least I know that I smelled good--and not like the mold that grows under rocks. I was told by one of the chicks hanging out with us that I smelled good. I couldn't even go with that compliment and keep the conversation going.

A big part of my problem (and no this shouldn't be a prerequisite) was that I didn't drink. I don't drink at least for the time being and I also was going to be the designated driver for my buddy who hadn't seen his pals in quite awhile.

One of the guys kept asking me if anything was wrong, if I was stressed, or did I have a lot on my mind. I didn't want to tell him that I was a nerd in disguise and that my social skills were inadequate. My buddy kept saying "what's wrong with you"? He couldn't believe that I had nothing to talk about or nothing to add to the conversation. How do you explain to a bunch of people that when all you've had is the wall across from your desk and review books that the first to go is your social skills.

Thankfully by the end of the night, I warmed up a little. This was because they had plans of doing paintball. When I was asked, "are you in". I was like HECK YAH!! And then I started to talk about all the ventures with my own buddies. And the conversation started flowing with stories of my own college pals (and I didn't betray them or give away any secrets).

When we went out the next night. It was a little more different. I was more relaxed and after seeing these guys trashed, it was easier to talk to them. What is it about getting completely trashed with someone that is a social binder? I made some new friends because they were trashed and I'm going to get to play paintball!!! Yipee!!

19 Comments:

  • Nothing like shotting each other with paint rockets to break the ice.

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 11:44 PM  

  • I don't know why, but the smell compliment is the best compliment a woman can give me. And I'm just as socially inept as you, but that's why the good Lord gave us Jack Daniels Old No. 7

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:42 AM  

  • I feel socially inept when I go out wihtout driking and I don;t drink so what does that tell you?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:54 AM  

  • Good to read your post. I'm glad that you made some new friends and enjoyed their company. I've made some too for the past one month.Best of luck!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:03 AM  

  • My cave is the library or study desk. Luckily there are munchkins to keep it real.
    Wow paintball. I have to try this! Nice that you get out for a while!

    By Blogger The Egg, at 9:24 AM  

  • Paintball is was fun and interesting experience. All I could think about was the REAL soldiers "playing" with REAL bullets. It mad me sad. The adrenaline rush was wild, I can't even imagine the nerves one would have with REAL bullets.

    I'd play again.

    By Blogger Rocketstar, at 9:45 AM  

  • I've never tried paintballing. My friend did it and she said that she was bruised for a week after she did it.

    By Blogger Drywall Mom, at 10:06 AM  

  • When a woman tells you you smell nice, or notices something about you, consider it an indicator of interest which means you were slightly ahead of your friends.

    I think too many guys are socially inept, and social skills should be taught as a class in high school and college, that way guys can choose to be nerdy or not.

    By Blogger -Papa, at 11:16 AM  

  • I am always socially inept and inadequate. I talk everyday with people under the age of 5 so my conversations are a lot like; 'So which teletubbie you like?' and 'did you see what Joe and Blue were doing? They need a clue!' So I really would not have a clue if a guy were coming on to me. The other day I was wearing a tight superman tshirt and this guy said;'I love your shirt.' I was like ;'yeah so do I!' and walked away...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:31 AM  

  • I would suck at paintball.

    By Blogger Cara Bara, at 12:33 PM  

  • I hang around the sober folks...and I hang with people who have similar interests as I do. I love baseball, so I can talk baseball to anyone who will listen. I like cooking so I talk cooking...I like kids and family so I talk about that....

    I have not had the experience of paint balling, but my son loves it.

    I hope you are doing well with your studies.

    By Blogger Lucy Stern, at 2:44 PM  

  • Angel, we seriously need to work on your social skills. You just said (or wrote) "Yipee" in public! :P

    By Blogger Aaron, at 3:08 PM  

  • Ohhhh, I love paintball. I could use a good paintball fight right now actually!

    By Blogger S.B., at 4:54 PM  

  • There is nothing that says "male bonding" quite like shooting little plastic coated balls of paint at your friends. I went last month - I carried the bruises (proudly) for a week.

    By Blogger Edmund Dantes, at 10:13 AM  

  • Heehee, the amzing power of paintball.

    Cxx

    By Blogger Claire, at 10:44 AM  

  • paintball is getting very popular. but i heard it hurts when you get hit esp at close range.

    By Blogger Trixie, at 11:09 AM  

  • I know I have bonded with a great deal of people after having a few adult beverages.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 12:18 PM  

  • Getting trashed is a great social lubricant.

    By Blogger :P fuzzbox, at 7:00 PM  

  • I think part of the problem was you being the only one not drinking, surrounded by people who are. The second night was easier because you had met the m the night before, and now you knew you had something in common with them.

    I'm not good with crowds of people, especially if I only know the one buddy. Drinking, being a relaxant, does help me to warm up to people. Doesn't mean I have to get trashed to talk to strangers though.

    By Blogger blackcrag, at 12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home