Shaken Not Stirred

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Practicing What?

Today, while jogging, I saw the strangest sort of exercise.

This woman was jog/walking, but in both of her hands she held ski poles. Yes, ski poles and she was wearing what appeared to be a winter cap, only it didn't have the fuzz ball thing dangling from it. But she was in shorts and a t-shirt. At first I thought that maybe she used the poles to guide her, that she needed them for sight. But as she got closer, I noticed that she moved them the way a skier would move them to help guide themselves down a mountainside. And then I knew that she wasn't blind because as I started to approach her she smiled and mouthed the words "good morning".

Was she building up stamina for something? Is this the way some skiers exercise? Maybe I'm a little ignorant in the new fads of exercise, but I've never seen anything like it.

I've seen people power walk, which looks kinda funny--at least to me it looks funny. I've seen bicycles built for two, and people actually using them. I've seen people do their whole treadmill routine, backwards (they actually walk backwards on the treadmill for an hour duration). I've even seen these work-out buddies punch each other in the stomach while they are doing sit-ups. I've even seen people ski on flat land. But I've never seen someone use the ski poles as part of their exercise routine. Makes me wonder what people will do to get in shape.

21 Comments:

  • Were they ski poles or trekking poles?

    On one of the local trails I run on, I occassionally see someone trekking (think a really fast hike) with their trekking poles. I've loaded up a backpack with weight, grabbed my poles and fast-hiked the same trail before. Folks look at me weird, but I wasn't at all dressed up like this gal...

    By Blogger Aaron, at 9:06 AM  

  • My mom has something like that. I don't think that I could be seen in public looking like that though. Just too weird. I'm a little self concious,

    By Blogger Drywall Mom, at 9:55 AM  

  • hmmm maybe she is having skiing withdrawals and just wanted to get the feeling of it????

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:53 PM  

  • Now that is teh strangest thing I have ever heard of. I agree speed walking looks funny. I'm a runner myself. I leave the ski poles at home. I might hurt someone. :o)

    By Blogger Tawnya Shields, at 10:07 PM  

  • Must be some new kind of weight training thing?

    By Blogger Katie, at 10:22 PM  

  • Now I'm wondering about the poles too...& the people who walk on the treadmill backwards? Why??

    By Blogger Chick, at 11:14 PM  

  • backwards walking for one hour what a torture....

    By Blogger Life is a matter of virtue, at 2:21 AM  

  • That winter cap is called a tuque, pronounced took or tyook. Its a Canadian thing. That women is probably a Canadian. Yup, we're weird, but we're harmless.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:34 AM  

  • I've seen this before, but I'm confused about it as well. You should be a roving reporter an interview the person about why said poles are deemed necessary.

    By Blogger Wiwille, at 10:37 AM  

  • I'd like to see backward running. Is this a new trend?

    By Blogger The Egg, at 1:25 PM  

  • i have seen this. they normally travel in pairs or packs. i think it's because of the intimidation factor. plus there is less chance of people like me making fun of people like them if they stay together as a united front.

    By Blogger cher, at 6:14 PM  

  • I've seen the backward running thing in the gym. It oddly scared me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:27 PM  

  • I see folks at the park with all sorts of wierd props. I still don't understand it but I just smile and say morning.

    By Blogger Lindsey, at 8:39 PM  

  • Hmm. I don't understand. Why not just pump the arms and call it a day? Is it the weight of the pole that's supposed to help? Couldn't weights just be added to the arms while pumping? Sigh. I don't like that running is starting to get so hi-tech. Remember the good old days when you just wore your keds and ran up hills both ways when you worked out?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:16 PM  

  • Interesting, never seen this either although I don't jog so that might explain it.

    By Blogger Phats, at 11:21 PM  

  • I take a hockey stick on the treadmill, a Canadian thing.

    By Blogger Big Ben, at 12:53 AM  

  • Odd ... I've seen people do this whilst hiking in the hills, but nowhere else !!
    Take care, Meow

    By Blogger Meow (aka Connie), at 7:01 AM  

  • I think I have seen the same thing.

    By Blogger Rocketstar, at 11:12 PM  

  • It's really funny, what people will do for excercise or diets, the things we do for what we percieve as the ideal.

    Nope, I've no idea what those poles were for. Maybe she was collecting garbage.

    By Blogger blackcrag, at 2:15 AM  

  • I've seen people do it on roller blades but not while walking...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:02 PM  

  • Its Nordic Walking... give it a google

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home