Shaken Not Stirred

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Shave Some Calories

I'm going to talk about food again. Maybe I'm obsessed with food again because I'm working out more and I'm now hungry all the time. Today I was craving some Taco B. stuff (you know the fast food joint--not spelling it out so that people who google the place won't end up on my blog). I know all you guys crave it every once in awhile.

I trekked on over there and ordered one of their combo meals. I normally don't like soda, so I told them to just make it a diet. And I'm thinking to myself, my meal is probably 5,000 calories already, so what is the difference between a diet or regular soda. The reason I ordered the diet (not to spare any calories) is because as a person, I'm already hyper--so absolutely no sugar for me. My friend who writes at the blog Spice the Egg can certainly attest to how hyper I can get. And one of my study buddies Maria just laughs when I say I want some ice cream/drumsticks.

So I'm wondering what do these servers think when someone orders a huge combo meal and then says I'd like a diet soda with that. Really it makes no sense.

Oh and by the way, the Duck had written a post about too much ice in drive thru sodas, I remembered to ask for my drink with no ice.

16 Comments:

  • I also drink diet soda for the sugar reason, not the calories reason. But I think 100 (or more likely 300 if it's a larger soda) calories is 100 calories, and the less calories you consume, the less you have to work off. So, maybe it seems like a drop in the bucket, but I like to cut calories where I can, and if I didn't already drink diet soda, I'd start.

    By Blogger The Maiden Metallurgist, at 3:05 PM  

  • Exactly. I agree with murph there. It might not seem like much, but a 32 ounce drink is easily over 400 calories actually, and those are completely empty calories that are easily avoidable. At least with the rest of your meal you're getting some protein and such to go along with your fat.

    By Blogger Duck, at 4:43 PM  

  • Ha! I do the diet thing too but only because I like the way it tastes better than regular soda.

    By Blogger Airam, at 5:17 PM  

  • When it's really hot, nothing beats thirst like an ice cold lemonade.

    Does lemonade go well with Taco Hell?

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 7:48 PM  

  • I had the most perfect rant about this the other day at work, but I won't steal your thunder on your own blog.

    Anyway, ALCOHOL is empty calories. Sodas are just a hell of a lot of sugar. Which, by the way, high fructose corn syrup isn't exactly the best thing for you... but it's better than all that aspartame you're ingesting in diet drinks. Read about it.

    By Blogger Aaron, at 7:49 AM  

  • I usually only end up at TB after a night of drinking about 2:30 a.m., and that's when it tastes the best too.

    By Blogger 2 Dollar Productions, at 9:20 AM  

  • I try to avoid drive thru fast food. Go in so you can get a drink refill.

    By Blogger Big Ben, at 7:41 PM  

  • Google "calories diet regular soda" and you'll see a bunch of articles mentioning a recent study that shows no difference, in terms of heart disease, between the consumptions of diet or regular soda.

    Did you save me a taco? No?

    Darn!!

    By Blogger Dan, at 10:48 PM  

  • i skip the pop and get milk or coffee. i don't drink juice either. i'd rather have fruit.

    but now i do have fast food cravings. thanks.

    By Blogger cher, at 12:21 PM  

  • I've wondered the same thing, Diet Soda really, how aBOUT TRRIMMING A HAMBURGER OR TWO OFF YOUR TRAY?

    sORRY FOR THE CAPS.

    By Blogger Rocketstar, at 12:23 AM  

  • I will forever be the girl who orders something fattening with a diet soda...it's conditined in me...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:22 PM  

  • I just dropped a good bit of weight...so I'm feeling good. Walked away with a flat stomach and a whole new wardrobe.

    By Blogger Lindsey, at 5:50 PM  

  • Damn. Now you've made me hungry and I need to go get some food!!

    -- david

    By Blogger David Amulet, at 11:11 AM  

  • I drink the diet drinks when I have take-away, cause my logic tells me that the diet drink will counteract all the fat in the take-away, and make it a healthy meal !!! (Just kidding !! Sounds good though, doesn't it !!)
    Take care, Meow

    By Blogger Meow (aka Connie), at 11:36 PM  

  • I'm sooo hyper, too!!

    On sodas, I didn't use to like them but the past year, I actually crave it but I can't drink the regular one because I find it too sweet. I prefer the taste of the diet one.

    Also, you know I've never had a Taco B.

    By Blogger missy, at 3:11 AM  

  • I have NEVER eaten Taco B.

    Is that strange? Or un-American of me?

    By Blogger S.B., at 11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home