Shaken Not Stirred

Saturday, September 01, 2007

Grunts

I just finished watching a tennis match between Maria S and a new comer (well she wasn't exactly a new comer, she was ranked number 30). Really good match--in fact there was an upset. Did you watch it Phats?

Last year sometime, I think it was Connie that posed the question could grunting during a tennis match be considered a form of cheating. Today, after hearing the players grunt, I was quite annoyed. The sound made me lose my concentration and I wasn't even playing. I was watching while doing some other stuff around the house. It really was a horrid sound, so much so that I turned the volume down on the television so I wouldn't have to endure it anymore.

I commented on Connie's blog that sometimes the grunts came from exerting some effort to hit the ball and sometimes from exhaustion. However, it seemed that some of the players were grunting even while serving or returning the ball. This I found peculiar. I have never played a tennis player of the championship caliber. I did play in high school and had even won the regionals one year. This level of competition isn't however the same as say world renowned playing level. So if I grunted back then it was only to keep myself from cursing.

So I now pose Connie's question to you--do you think the grunting is a form of strategy or just from mere exhaustion.

16 Comments:

  • I always thought it was due to exhaustion but now I wonder ...

    By Blogger Airam, at 9:28 AM  

  • I like the sound of it.

    By Blogger Tuyet, at 10:46 AM  

  • I don't know. Listening to them almost brings to my mind that they are exerting themselves excessively. Like when they are giving birth for instance.

    By Blogger Grant, at 1:26 PM  

  • I always assumed it was out of strain and exhaustion.....I wonder if you're on to something.....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:56 PM  

  • Some guys I know think that grunts on women's tennis is quite sexy. But they are weird! The men, not the grunts.

    By Blogger missy, at 4:39 PM  

  • grunting can throw off the other player it can make them think you are putting maximum effort into every shot. Like if you are totally silent during sex, xome girls think you are not trying are not enjoying yourself!

    By Blogger Big Ben, at 12:37 AM  

  • Tennis is a sport specifically designed for the elitists. But I disgress, grunting is not cheating. If it was up to me, tennis players would be allowed to yell "jinx" when the opponent is about to hit the ball. I'd even let them call each others sisters prostitutes.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:28 PM  

  • i grunt when i get off the couch. and it's not to fake out the competition

    By Blogger cher, at 7:39 PM  

  • Maria S. is definitely the queen of the tennis grunt. And you're right, it is distracting!

    By Blogger Katie, at 8:49 PM  

  • Why yes I did watch it! I grunt when I play, mostly on my serve because for some odd reason I hold my breath and when I hit the ball I release and it comes out. Strange yes.

    Anyway on to your question I don't know if you remember what back when Monica Seles was dominating the tour and she played I believe if was Graf in the final of Wimbledon, anyway the press was all over her saying it was too loud and it came about the chair was going to give a warning if it was too loud, so she tried not grunting. Long story short Graf dusted her off the court. Maria's I believe are louder than Monica's and my problem with it is some players like to hear the bounce of the ball when they are hitting and you can't hear it when someone is basically screaming. Although she looks really good doing it ;)

    Sorry for a LONG comment

    By Blogger Phats, at 10:16 PM  

  • I was watching a tape of Sharapova practicing. Zero grunting at all.

    First point of her match... grunting like a mad woman. So annoying and I think it is bad sportsmanship.

    D

    By Blogger Scott, at 2:22 AM  

  • Wow. Some of the comments on this blog were the best part about it. I usually save my grunting for the bathroom. :P (j/k)

    By Blogger Aaron, at 2:00 PM  

  • I hate the grunting

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:01 PM  

  • I know what you mean, they are distracting. I have watched Maria play before. It seemed that the more intense the game is, the more she grunts. I think it is odd! Not sure if I would consider it cheating, but maybe part of her strategy. I think her dad told her once to try not doing it, she tried and did not play as well. I think it is partly exhaustion, strategy and habit.

    By Blogger Lee Ann, at 7:41 PM  

  • All that grunting makes me wonder if they grunt like that during....well just during.

    By Blogger :P fuzzbox, at 10:58 PM  

  • Nope...I don't think it's a form of cheating...hell...I'm sure they could do better than that if they really wanted to cheat.

    By Blogger Chick, at 11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home