Shaken Not Stirred

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

It's About the Way You Look

Circulating in the news today is the story about an employee having to lose weight in order to keep her job. I was a bit annoyed at this notion. Yes, I know that the establishment has a certain criteria to uphold. This establishment is known for their employee's looks. However, to demand that an employee lose weight may be a bit harsh.

I could understand helping them through encouragement or gentle (should I use that word as an adjective) criticism. I don't know. On one hand I want to say that there is a look that must be kept, on the other hand, it's kinda mean.

It's a bit shallow, but looks are money makers. Think about how much money super models make just to smile. The endorsements that a good looking person gets just to wear a certain brand of clothing.

I've always believed in the cliche, that beauty is skin deep. But skin deep doesn't always draw in the crowds. When we want to set up our friends with someone we know isn't hot, we always describe the person as "really nice, has a sense of humor, likable, or a great personality". But if the person is gorgeous, we say "you have to go out with them, they are hot".

Speaking of weight, I really need to start eating healthy again.

3 Comments:

  • ive missed posts!!!

    I totally agree - but we all have different standards as to what is "Hot" and the word is strictly relative. I once dated someone that outweighed me by 100 pounds, and didnt think twice about it becuase he had a REALLY cute face, and was so incredibly sincere and genuine. Ive dated everyone from "model and universally hot" to what other people wouldnt describe as hot.....I dont know. I dont go based on looks. I used to when I was younger. Looks were very important to me, and i would only date guys who were wanted by everyone. However that never worked out well for me becuase Guys who everyone wants, take advantage of that, and usually end up cheating.

    Im sick of "HOT"...i just want a guy who wont treat me like shit. Obviosuly there has to be some attraction, but Ive given up on the idea of what I used to think was hot. My tastes have changed since I was 20 something, and now that im 32, guys that im dating, now, I find to be a lot better when I am more open to just being in a relationship with someone im attracted to AND is super nice.

    By Blogger Princess Pessimism, at 4:17 PM  

  • I need to start eating healthy as well. I have put on a few pounds since I started staying at home with the baby. Good luck with your new diet.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 11:57 PM  

  • Was it hooters?? Sorry I have been MIA, hope your summer is going great so far

    By Blogger Phats, at 12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home