Shaken Not Stirred

Saturday, April 03, 2010

Happy Easter

The end of Lent is tomorrow, Easter Day. For forty days, I've given up eating meat, chocolate (and any kind of dessert--ice cream, cake, pies, candy) and chips. And as the temptation started to set in, basically two weeks into the forty days, I started to ponder the reason behind giving up something for Lent.

I was taught as a youngster that it was a form of sacrifice, something that we did to show our love to the Lord. However, as I have grown, I know that a relationship with God isn't something that is shown in a forty day period. It's an ongoing, growing and evolving thing. A younger cousin of mine recently said that instead of giving up something, he wanted to do something more active. He volunteered for a local charity or he gave some time to a shelter of some sort.

To me this made more sense. Why give up something that I was going to indulge in once the forty days was over. I am probably just rationalizing just a few hours before I go into a meat, chip and chocolate induced coma state. But next year, I think that actively giving to a charitable organization or shelter would be more productive.

For now, I'm just counting down to the hour that I can eat a steak (wrapped in bacon, topped with crumbled meat), have some nachos for an appetizer and have a chocolate cake for dessert.

3 Comments:

  • Happy Easter! Hope you enjoyed the meat and other goodies after 40 days. I think your cousin has the right idea.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 1:22 PM  

  • That meal sounds awesome.

    Cxx

    By Blogger Claire, at 10:41 AM  

  • Good Job!!! I have never done lent but I am not sure what I would give up haha.

    How was your first taste of meat?

    By Blogger Phats, at 12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home