Shaken Not Stirred

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Friday Christmas Shopping

I have only ventured out once for Black Friday. And it was enough keep me from every doing it again. I mass chaos that I witnessed, being shoved so that someone could get to a shelf and of course the disorganized piles of "goods" sent me running for my car. I didn't feel any sort of savings was worth this travesty. I don't understand what would cause people to act so uncivilized. I understand that times are tough, that we have to save every penny earned for a rainy day. But really? Trample someone so that you could get the perfect present for a few dollars less? And it isn't like any of us really need that HDTV or that tablet computer. What happened to the simplicity of Christmas being about hanging out with family and friends. One of my favorite parts of the Christmas season is midnight mass at church, seeing everyone dressed up, smiling because a friend or relative is in town, someone they want to spend time with. The choir singing and the bells tolling. I'm hoping these after Thanksgiving shopping sprees are just a faze, that we'll get back to what the holidays are really about...and that is thanks that the first pilgrim families survived and were able to celebrate with a meal and the birth of our Lord, Jesus Christ.

3 Comments:

  • Angel, you took the words right out of my mouth. My mom and I had a tradition of shopping together on Black Friday for deals. We would get up super early and hit the local stores, usually finishing up pretty early in the morning and then going for breakfast before heading home. Then they started opening the stores earlier and earlier. People started acting crazy, pushing and shoving (not simply bumping into you, but literally trying to move you to get what they wanted). The year the guy was trampled to death we decided to stop. It just was not fun like it once was for us, and it just was not worth it. We even tried the online shopping once as an alternative. It was not the same. Most of the items that we wanted were sold out minutes after midnight when the sales started. This is not what Christmas is about at all?! We did it as a chance to shop together and loved getting great deals on presents for our families, but when we had to have a strategical plan to get in and out of the stores without getting hurt we decided it just was not worth it. I have problems with my knees, and my Mom has problems with her foot.....this just sealed the deal. Money is tight this year, tighter than previous years for us. We just decided to buy less. It's not about that anyway, it's about the time we spend together and that is something we will do no matter if presents are involved or not. I am glad I am not the only one that feels this way!!

    By Blogger SquirmY, at 12:50 PM  

  • Hope you had a good Thanksgiving and I don't blame you for avoiding Black Friday. I have never ventured out there on that shopping craziness of a day and do not plan on it.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 10:47 PM  

  • Ha! It's crazy there were two people here locally who camped out at best buy all week to be first in line. That is nuts!! I went last year for the first time, never again

    By Blogger Phats, at 10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home