Shaken Not Stirred

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Fate or Something Like It

My cousin Joelle Gairdner and I were recently talking about fate, the people you meet along the way and the outcomes of the decisions you make. She told me that she believed that you eventually end up where you are suppose to be at any given point in your life. However, how you get there whether the scenic route or by highway was based on your decisions.

I told her that you were meant to meet every person in your life, no matter how little or big a difference they made. Every person you run into will have an influence somehow and will alter your view of the world. And each person will help you to understand just what makes the world tick.

We started this conversation based on the movie "Sliding Doors" (I learned that you put quotations around a movie from a fellow blogger. I should have learned it in journalism school, but that was so long ago and I'm no longer in that profession). In it Gweneth Paltrow's character missed a sliding door and her world was changed. They showed both alternatives, the one where she makes the subway ride and the one where she missed it. Confused? I am. Anyway, she eventually ended up with the love of her life and happily ever after. It just took longer.

I do believe that fate has already mapped out your life. It just depends on which routes you take to get there.

9 Comments:

  • I totally believe in fate. But I like to think that it's all tied up in Karma as well.

    armaedes - I believe Angel was just using an example.

    By Blogger Anhoni Patel, at 10:32 AM  

  • You know my feelings about this topic. We're all connected in one way or the other. Just gotta look for the clues:-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:43 AM  

  • fate is a funny thing. It has led me down some strange paths thus far.

    By Blogger Christopher D. Bate, at 10:47 AM  

  • Karma, its 'written on the forehead' according to Hindu's

    I believe in fate too !

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:27 PM  

  • May be there is something called fate. But it's so hard to prove.
    I believe there is always a choice. That you can choose your future. That it is not decided. That you can change your fate. That I am in control of my fate :-)

    By Blogger Wriju, at 1:07 PM  

  • Hey that was me earlier..anonymous. I clicked too fast!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:32 PM  

  • I believe in fate, but I also believe karma affects your fate.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 3:37 PM  

  • While I don't believe in fate or 'meant to be' scenarios, I definitely believe we get out what we put into life. Nothing is free and those we affect and interact with shape our view of the world, good or bad.

    By Blogger Luke, at 4:29 PM  

  • Here, I am agree with Luke. You get out of life the effort you put into living it.

    As for fate... what if I spend my whole life working at the graveyard shift at a gas station? Is that fate, or just am I just too lazy to get a new job? Or am I fated to be lazy?

    I think fate takes the fun out of living.

    By Blogger blackcrag, at 3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home