Shaken Not Stirred

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Light At The End of The Tunnel

My cousin Bill and I decided that we would check on his vacationing sister's home this weekend. His sister Irene and her family are in the Philippines participating in a medical mission out there. Since Bill's girlfriend lives in New York, she decided to take the train (a two hour ride) from Manhattan to Baltimore. She's a great person, so I was excited to hang out with them both. We surfed Yahoo Maps, printed these instructions and then at 11:30 a.m. on Friday, we loaded up the minivan and headed north and then east to Maryland.

What I thought would be an easy trip, was not. First of all, Bill only printed out instructions to Irene's house. And then he printed up the maps from Irene's house to an Imax theatre in downtown Baltimore. I was thinking, by my guestimations we would make it to downtown Baltimore by 5:30. Bill's girlfriend Gladys would get in by train at about 5:55. This gave us a 20 minute edge. Everytime we have promised to pick her up at the station, we've been late--or should I say, he's been late, since he's usually the driver or at least the reason that we're late. I was relieved that we'd finally be getting to the station before her.

Did we make it on time? Nope. Somehow, Bill said he knew his way to the station. Since I don't usually drive while I'm there--one of my cousins always does the driving, I could only discern familiar landmarks. Not this time. For some reason Bill thought we had to go by Inner Harbor to get to the train station. I don't ever remember that route. Next while turing and twisting through downtown Baltimore, we ended up at some tunnel. I've never seen this tunnel before and I was hoping that the orange light it was emitting would somehow get us back on track. No such luck, when the orange light ran out, we were in some unrecognizable town--and it cost two dollars to get there. It cost us another two dollars to leave.

We finally got to the station because of some kind college student that worked at a gas station. He gave us step by step directions which led us to the station's front door. We were two hours late and Gladys just smiled saying, "men never admit when they are lost".

I can now say that I've been through every nook and cranny of Baltimore city.

26 Comments:

  • Walk toward the light, my sun! For the light IS the sun. The light of day on Mercury.

    By Blogger Gyrobo, at 10:46 PM  

  • what is it with men and directions?
    hehe.

    By Blogger j, at 12:35 AM  

  • Yahoo maps are not reliable! Been there done that!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:53 AM  

  • And men laugh at women when we turn the maps upside down to face the direction we are going in .... at least we get where we want to go on time.
    Take care,
    Meow

    By Blogger Meow (aka Connie), at 5:25 AM  

  • Gladys sounds cool. And very used to Bill's slight delays... :)

    By Blogger JJ, at 7:01 AM  

  • I don't read maps but I have a tomtom navigator for the whole of europe so... relief!

    By Blogger missy, at 7:05 AM  

  • She really is nice if she just smiled and joked at you guys after leaving her there for two hours! :) Great post!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:06 AM  

  • You guys must have been very lost indeed if you had to ask for direction. At least you got a good direction giver. There are some nefarious types who love to give confusing directions. If you ever need directions in West Texas give me a holler. Muhaha.

    By Blogger :P fuzzbox, at 8:02 AM  

  • Dude, it's all about Google Maps... double true. The important thing is that you made it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:02 AM  

  • I'm sorry that you had to go through that. Do they have key maps up there?

    By Blogger Drywall Mom, at 10:38 AM  

  • Blame it on the bad maps....

    By Blogger Cathy, at 10:52 AM  

  • Sometimes getting lost is nothing but an adventure.

    By Blogger Chick, at 1:49 PM  

  • I used to do a lot of travelling in the past to some less visited parts of the country and I used to get lost regularly. I bought a handheld gps system that allowed me to find a number of out of the way places much more easily.

    Try google maps. They even have an overlay so you can actually see landmarks as you are driving.

    By Blogger Grant, at 3:16 PM  

  • With all these trips to Baltimore, who come I haven't heard from you yet? I only live 20 minutes from there!
    - DI from WVU

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:03 PM  

  • And Baltimore's nooks and crannies are pretty disgusting.

    I've never heard more sirens going off in a 12 hour period in my life, and we had a guy get mugged - and the dude was a Baltimore local, and huge!

    It's a pretty city by the harbor, but just don't stay too long.

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 5:11 PM  

  • one of my best friends makes maps. i wouldn't really trust anybody for my maps. i also have a microsoft map and directions application. it's quite good.

    By Blogger x, at 5:37 PM  

  • Gladys is a very understanding woman. And if I ever need to find a nook or cranny in B-more I will give you a call.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 6:15 PM  

  • Oh crap. there are some good nooks and some BAD nooks to Baltimore. Glad you made it in one peice.

    By Blogger Lindsey, at 7:12 PM  

  • I had a very good birthday in Baltimore once. Nice crabs, and there was a pub with 100 different beers...

    By Blogger Dr Vegas, at 7:43 PM  

  • Ddi ya go to Phillip's to eat when you were in Balti?

    By Blogger mkecurler, at 11:20 PM  

  • I am with vince double true on that.

    By Blogger Crazy Dan, at 11:48 PM  

  • My daughter was in Baltimore just two weeks ago. She found a wonderful place to eat seafood on the harbor.

    Sorry you had such a hard time finding the station. She's right when she says that men hate to ask directions. My husband is one of the worst.

    By Blogger Lucy Stern, at 2:42 AM  

  • yahoo and mapquest suck ass! i was late for my own wedding thanks to the directions mapquest gave me..lol

    and i love baltimore harbor- the rest of it is not so great. :)

    By Blogger Foxy, at 12:12 PM  

  • Your funny Angel, I've wondered if men really would even use that gadget called, "Tom-Tom" for directions. My Dad took us on a vacation once, we got to Fla. ok, but we went around the same block eight times before he would admit he was lost.

    By Blogger Skye, at 2:32 PM  

  • I hate going to anyplace without maps - my sense of direction is warped ! :-D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:16 PM  

  • I'm always way TOO prepared with maps. I print out directions in 3 ways and also have my computer in the car for just these occasions!

    By Blogger Luke, at 10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home