Shaken Not Stirred

Sunday, April 02, 2006

I'm A Little Bit Country....I'm A Little Bit A.D.H.D

I have no idea what is wrong with me. My focus can change on a whim. I can concentrate for a good while on one topic and then get a different topic in my mind and I'm completely thrown off the first topic for a good while. For instance, if I'm working on one project, but I suddenly think of another, I'll start the other and then try to work on both of them at once. It ends up being unproductive for both since time and effort is split between the two.

In undergrad I was involved in so many clubs and organizations that my weekly schedule was full. If one of my friends asked me to join their organization, I was the first to sign up. I was involved in everything from charitable works, volunteering at the hospital to social clubs. It kept me busy and probably out of trouble (drinking/partying).

My mind can quickly switch between topics of interest too. In church a few weeks ago, I was listening to the sermon, when I suddenly saw a bug in this lady's hair in front of me. Suddenly the priest's voice became muffled (you know like in the movies when a character goes into thought or daydreams). I found myself watching this bug and it crawled in and out of this lady's hair. She had sober-eyeballs white hair and the bug was black so it stood out.

I kept watching this bug cling to one stand and watched it swing, much like tarzan through her hair. Once it fell and landed on her back, the priest's voice came back in loud and clear and I was once again transported back to mass. A few moments later I noticed that it had made it's way back into her hair and once again the priest's voice drowned out.

Around communion time, it fell off her body completely and I realized that it was my row's turn to get into the communion line. I had no idea what the day's reading was about. I didn't even hear the priest's sermon, the interpretation of the bible reading as it relates to today's moral battles. All I remember about that day's service was this bug held my attention for a lot longer than it should have.

22 Comments:

  • You should have taken a hymn book and smashed it when it was on her back.

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 10:28 PM  

  • I have a touch of Adult ADD myself. What kind of bug was it? Why was it swinging through her hair? Why do you say it was like Tarzan? I would think that it would be like King Kong in the new movie? Did you see that movie? Didn't you think that it was a bit long? Aren't Kevin Costner movies too long? Where is Kevin Costner? Has he gotten any balder? There wouldn't be a lot of room for a bug to swing through Kevin Costner's hair. I'm bald, would a bug be pissed about that?

    By Blogger :P fuzzbox, at 11:22 PM  

  • :-) - I am like this with work, someone asks me to do something and then one more request and so on that I start multitasking - I have become quite good at it actually !

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:01 AM  

  • Oh gosh, I have the same... awful, isn't it! Funny image though - the bug swinging through her hair...if she had known about it she'd probably have screamed!

    By Blogger Leila, at 4:44 AM  

  • Hey Angel ... you could've been talking about me. My mind is constantly flittering between things, with my attention being split multiple ways. Fortunately, I am very good at multi-tasking, so it doesn't really cause me many problems !! How did you keep from laughing at the bug in the woman's hair, or stop yourself from picking or flicking it out ???? I don't know that I could've helped myself !!
    Have a great week, take care, Meow

    By Blogger Meow (aka Connie), at 6:41 AM  

  • I can get a smidge of ADD also...

    ecspecially at church. :)

    By Blogger Cari, at 8:11 AM  

  • Hmm..I probably would have started blowing or coughing in an attempt to blow the bug off her... and I would totally lose concentration too.

    I'm horrible about cleaning.. I start in one room and decide I want to try something somewhere else.. and well, you know how that goes. It sucks.

    By Blogger SK, at 11:52 AM  

  • Ugh to the bug, especially to its traipsing about her white hair like that. *shudder*

    As with some of your commenters, I probably would have tried to get that critter off the woman's head or let her know about it, because I surely wouldn't want something crawling all over me, much less my head.

    I don't think you have ADHD; seems more a case of having too much to do, too little time to do it in, and thus trying to do everything at the same time and inevitably forgetting things.

    By Blogger Cheshire Cat, at 2:18 PM  

  • I tend to dayream in the stained glass windows myself. ..

    By Blogger mkecurler, at 10:50 PM  

  • I suffer from the same! My boyfriend says I have a short attention span.
    How are your workouts going?
    I have to say mine are coming along, I am doing the treadmill longer at a higher speed each week.

    Keep it up Angel! :)

    By Blogger Lee Ann, at 12:19 AM  

  • Yes, it does sound like ADHD. Try to concentrate.

    By Blogger Lucy Stern, at 1:53 AM  

  • God made the lowly bugs too!

    By Blogger x, at 3:07 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger twolf1920, at 8:10 AM  

  • I have it-And frankly I have learned to accept it..NAY EMBRACE it. Look at it this way..When you are in traffic, and the phone rings you KNOW that you are going to end up SOMEWHERE NEW you didn't intend on going because you aren't paying attention. So look at ADD as a TRAVEL ADVENTURE!

    AND

    The most brilliant minds on the planet have A.D.D.

    You see Angel, we just are part of an elite force that can't seem to focus on any one part of saving the world...

    By Blogger twolf1920, at 8:12 AM  

  • That's family for you.

    By Blogger Gyrobo, at 6:49 PM  

  • Because all forms of life are connected through the Force. Use the Force.

    By Blogger Gyrobo, at 6:50 PM  

  • I believe I would have done the same exact thing. I have a terrible attention span when my mind is left to wander.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 7:14 PM  

  • LOL- Yeah, ADD at church is normal. At work too for that matter! No worries..

    By Blogger Foxy, at 9:02 PM  

  • Busy important people get forgetful and such. No worries!

    By Blogger Luke, at 3:38 PM  

  • I have some temporary lapses of ADD too. In fact right now, when I could be working, I'm checking out blogs I haven't checked out before and laughing at your bug incident. I would've kept watching that bug too. Did it go to confessional with the lady? More importantly, did it donate during the tithes and offerings part?

    By Blogger Tara, at 3:15 PM  

  • I think the busy-ness of undergrad life contributes largely to the straying mind. Who can stay focused when there's always so darn much to do??? (I love it, though.)

    Yeah, so this bug thing...I agree with the phoenix. A big "whap" would have brought the entire congregation back to reality...

    By Blogger Aud*2020, at 12:48 AM  

  • I have that problem on blogs, when there is a moving avatar present. I'll be reading then suddenly... moving avatar. I'm lost for hours wondering if it is going to break the rhythm. Eventually my screen saver comes on.. and I am re-booted :)

    By Blogger Not-So-Naughty Voyeur, at 10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home