Shaken Not Stirred

Sunday, March 26, 2006

A Blog That Speaks To You

Recently, well actually a few months ago, a friend of mine made the comment that he could hear me speaking when he read my blog. He said he could hear my characteristic intonation as he read through the posts. He likened it to having a phone conversation with me or listening to me rant in udergrad during the commercial break of NBC's Thursday Night "Friends", "Frazier" and "E.R." line-up. Something about the pattern and flow of the post reminded him of my speaking manner. The only quality missing he said was the occasional southern drawl.

However, when he shows the posts to his co-workers, they often point out mistakes or ask about missing sentences, and grammatical errors. He tries to defend me by saying "He once wrote for West Virginia University's school paper, 'The Daily Athenaeum' and was even part of the team when they were one of the top ten university papers". But their only replies have been, "does he not have an editor anymore".

I can see how these strangers can see the mistakes. When I wrote for our school's paper, I was more eloquent, used 10 dollar words and utilized spell check. The words which flowed from my mind then underwent major scrutiny, not only mine, but the watchful eyes of my perfectionist editor. I was chosen to publish stories about student government, mainly the board of governors, therefore I was a little more careful about how my stories were presented.

My buddy informed me that if he hadn't known me and stumbled across my blog by accident, he might not get it either. He the writing didn't show the expressive journalist he knows is in me. I told him that I wasn't writing as a journalist anymore, but writing as me, in a diary format. I had started this blog to keep in touch with my friends--rather than writing long emails out to many people. A little secret about me...I keep in touch with almost all of my friends. If we met and clicked, rest assured you would hear from me for the rest of your natural life. Christmas cards, birthday cards, presents for your children and spouses (I learn their birthdays too) are constantly being sent out from my home. My whole philosophy is, if you've somehow made an impression on me, changed my life (doesn't have to drastically altering either), then you are worth keeping as a friend. And I highly value each person I consider a friend. I didn't get tired of writing to my friends--I could sit at a computer all day and write email upon email to them. It became time consuming and I realized that for the most part I was repeating myself to many of them. I got the idea from a friend of a friend and started blogging. Through blogger I could reach the majority of them with one letter. I have encouraged them to write comments, but they save their comments for phone calls and emails. Plus many of them have already heard the post topic before I post it and have commented accordingly.

I don't feel like I have to punctuate in all the right places, nor use grown-up words in my posts. I write the way my brain throws out the thoughts, haphazardly and coming at you 1000 miles a minute. This may explain the simplicity of my posts and why at times it doesn't make a lot of sense. When I converse with my friends I get excited and babble incessantly and nonsensically.

I thank many of you for reading my blog. I've made so many new acquaintances through blogger. I want to thank you for your patience with my writing style. I hope you continue to read. I also hope you continue to post in your own blogs, so I can continue to learn about you too. We are all building a sort of on-line friendship that I've become quite attached to.

P.S. Although the conversation between my buddy and I took place months ago, it was recently dredged up from my vast wasteland of knowledge by a post from David Amulet. It his last post, he was re-evaluating his blog.

32 Comments:

  • I understand what youa re saying here. I write in a very scientific fashion in my work life but my blog is intended to be a mental dump for me; I am sometimes amazed that people look at it let alone comment! But we glimpse into people's lives and thoughts; it is a phenomenal thing.

    By Blogger Cathy, at 8:04 PM  

  • You raise an interesting question: is there some protocol about blogging where every sentence must be grammatically correct, punctuated properly and no spelling errors occur?

    Granted, I'm a bit of a nitpicker in the areas above, and a blog without any attention to these points would be totally unreadable, but a blog is not an essay, business proposal or official letter. It's supposed to be about expressing one's thoughts and opinions, and therefore it should be the content that takes precedence over anything else.

    If someone is reading your blog -- or anyone else's blog -- and focusing only on grammar, punctuation or spelling, then they really need to get a life.

    By Blogger Cheshire Cat, at 8:29 PM  

  • I LOVE your blog... just discovered it today while drinking tea with my sisters. It offers a unique glimpse into your life, thoughts,... etc. I think it's fabulous. There is an argument to be made that a colloquial, conversational method of communicating is more effective when reaching people who read blogs... so, in other words, don't worry about being too anal about punctuation or grammar... the message is the most important part of this type of writing. Thanks for sharing this special look into your daily life and thoughts.
    Love, Simi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:15 PM  

  • Well, as you said its your online dairy and you must write in the way that best expresses what you want to say !

    cheers

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:28 PM  

  • That's some harsh criticism. Glad you held your ground. I don’t think I have ever judged anyone’s writing techniques on blogger and I’m too awful to notice most spelling errors. Sounds like some low self esteem from those people.

    By Blogger Josh, at 12:31 AM  

  • I can understand what you are saying here. When I type my blog and my comments, I type at such great speed and I hardly ever care if I am punctuating or if I have any dangling modifiers! :-)

    When I write work-related stuff, my writing voice is much much different. So if any of my colleagues stumble upon my blog, they wouldn't even suspect that I write it... except maybe they'll think that the girl in the picture looks vaguely familiar :-)

    By Blogger missy, at 1:57 AM  

  • I would like to hear that voice as well. I do not catch the occasional southern drawl. Maybe you should do an audio but I would not worry about the grammer Nazis.

    By Blogger :P fuzzbox, at 4:38 AM  

  • It is your blog, you can write however you feel comfortable writing. I, however, think you write very well, and thoroughly enjoy reading your blog. So do, obviously, heaps of other people. Don't change ... you are cool the way you are !!
    Take care, Meow

    By Blogger Meow (aka Connie), at 5:05 AM  

  • I'm surprised at their need to comment. It seems petty.

    I think your blog reads beautifully. It's a favorite... :)

    By Blogger JJ, at 6:55 AM  

  • I think ur blog is great

    You sound like a very loyal & nice guy and have enjoyed reading ur posts here.

    Your in the family now :)

    You post in most of the blogs I read also!!

    Not to mentions Vani (my sis's)

    By Blogger Cari, at 8:02 AM  

  • It sounds like you are a good friend to those you befriend. Those are good qualities in a friend. They should be happy to have you as one.

    I did my blog like this also for my family and friends to read so that they can keep up with me. Most of my friends that I grew up with don't live around me anymore, and my husbands family can see pictures of the kids and us when they miss them. So I love blog sites for this. Plus, all the new people I meet.

    By Blogger Drywall Mom, at 8:45 AM  

  • When I read a person's blog, I sort of create this "voice" for them as I read. The three times a blogger has done an audio post, I've been really surprised at how accurate my guess was.

    You've been blogging since 2004...which from my brief exposure to blogs...is one of the oldest I've seen. I did see one lady who has been blogging since 2001 - and man, that in ANCIENT in the blogosphere.

    I think it's good to sort of reevaluate your blog every once in awhile...and whenever the creative muse hits, to do something a little different - just when the mood hits. It keeps things fresh.

    I'm still trying to imagine a fellow Filipino with a Southern drawl...man, you're going to have to use audioblogger soon!

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 9:12 AM  

  • about hearing another's voice - that's not universal - a lot of people have a completely different writing style then from their personality [myself included]. i have a friend who is mature and wise but immature in his writing.

    By Blogger Kyle Foley, at 9:56 AM  

  • Holy crap!

    I just listened to your audio message you left on my podcast website!

    How interesting...I can hear a tiny bit of the Filipino in your voice, mixed with just a little Southern drawl.

    Thanks, and I will have to put that on my next podcast for everyone to hear!

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 12:35 PM  

  • You keep writing and I'll keep visiting!

    By Blogger Tai, at 2:20 PM  

  • blogging should be all about "free writing". how lame would it be if there was a certain criteria to go by? i always enjoy your sense of humor and your stories. :)

    By Blogger Foxy, at 4:41 PM  

  • your writing style is fine!
    you express yourself very well and your stories are always constructed in an interesting manner. Sometimes you save a little surprise for the last couple of lines.
    I like all these things Angel.

    By Blogger x, at 5:43 PM  

  • Anybody who reads a blog post and critiques its grammar, unless the post was about bad grammar or something, is taking it all a little too seriously.

    By Blogger White Dade, at 7:32 PM  

  • I also write my blogs the way I talk, but I always go back and check for spelling and grammar because 1) I'm a horrible typist, and 2) I'm anal about typos and grammar mistakes.

    I think it's (partly) because I'm building a career as a professional writer and I don't want to get into any sloppy habits in any of my writing. The other part is because I am an anal perfectionist in almost all areas of my life.

    While I catch others' mistakes I am far more forgiving of it in others than I am in my on writing.

    If it makes you feel better, your mistakes are always small and few and far between. And your writing flows easily and is very enjoyable. You are easily one of the most entertaining blogs I read.

    By Blogger blackcrag, at 9:58 PM  

  • Apparently David's post inspired us both to analyze :) I think your's is funny..

    By Blogger SK, at 10:07 PM  

  • I think your blog is great and I enjoy reading it. It does not have to be formal or even perfect for that matter. It comes from within you and that is what matters.

    By Blogger Lee Ann, at 11:25 PM  

  • Hey, they paid by the quality of the words? I never knew that.

    You're right about this blog being about you and not what people think about you. Don't change because a handful of people can't see past the typographical errors to read the intent of the message.

    And you're not alone in writing sentences that no one understands is left out!

    By Blogger Grant, at 11:43 PM  

  • Angel, I very much enjoy the conversational tone of your writing. Very easy and comfortable to read. Don't change, dearie.

    And I can really appreciate your philosophy of keeping in touch with friends. It's something important to me too, and blogging, of course, is part of that.

    Of course, I am also very lucky to know many of my blog friends in person. But it's surprising how quickly one can come to know otherwise strangers through their writing. A weird and wonderful thing, that. :)

    By Blogger Spider Girl, at 1:28 AM  

  • Your blog is a treat! It's one of the highlights of my day. It's great--don't listen to those critics. It has a perfect melody. And anyone who has you as a pal is one lucky person! I can laugh about anything w/you. Keep it REAL:-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:04 AM  

  • I've kinda cut back on the bloggin lately, but I do miss the people who are in my little circle of blogs.

    By Blogger j merlino, at 1:09 PM  

  • Bah! Anyone uninterested in your blog is obviously not... wait, what was that thing you said about... oh, yeah. You've got bad grammar and spelling sometimes. If it makes you feel any better, I'm perfect in every way.

    By Blogger Gyrobo, at 3:36 PM  

  • I can totally relate. I am in a hurry sometimes to write my blog and then comment on others, so in my furious attempt to get shit done I leave out words and make mistakes. It drives me crazy because I work as an editor and a writer but you would have never guessed it reading some of my posts or comments. I think most of understand what you are trying to say and we look past the mistakes. I do and I would hope people give me the same courtesy.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 4:24 PM  

  • I think you might be reading too much into it. I notice grammatical errors too, but won't point them out.Its like a hobby of mine to spel korrektly!

    By Blogger twolf1920, at 9:37 PM  

  • i like the way you write. it's unpretentious, honest, stream-of-consciousness, and therefore not always grammatically correct. i hate people that go all grammar police on you. you seem like a great friend to have :).

    By Blogger j, at 1:05 AM  

  • There is a difference between blatant carelessness and a few grammatical mistakes. As an English major, I have to admit I've been known to get vicious about lousy writing--but I mean, it has to be pretty bad and in some other medium than a blog. To me, blogs are personal blurps that are almost an art form, regardless. It's what you write about, not how it comes out (for the most part).

    By Blogger Aud*2020, at 2:28 AM  

  • Angel, I actually love reading your posts! I always feel like I am talking to a good friend of mine when I am reading your blog. Please, don't change your writing style just because of their comments! Who cares if you have a grammatical error here or there... It's a BLOG!!! Where you can get your thoughts and your life out there. Again, I love reading your blog!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:09 AM  

  • As I write for a living, my blog is my way of not having to be on show.

    By Blogger Jennifer, at 8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home