Shaken Not Stirred

Monday, March 13, 2006

A Rolling Stone, Gathers No Moss

Kidney stones are probably the worst pain I've ever felt. Nothing like getting your heart ripped in two by a cold hearted bitch (well she wasn't so cold hearted as she was moving into a different phase in her life and chose the guy who was willing to make the ultimate committment), but painful none-the-less.

I experienced both of these events. One during my early years of medical school and the other a little more recently. Since I'm over the heartache (the bitch and I are actually friends now. She sent me pictures of her new baby--which I think would have been cuter had he had my eyes) I'll post about the pain of a kidney stone.

I had read that they could be painful. The pain was caused by the smooth muscle closing in around the stone and trying to push it down and out. I not only thought that mine was being pushed out, but the stone was doing cardio-aerobics in there as well. Doggone this pain hurt. I could actually feel the muscle contract around the stone. It felt like nothing I've ever felt before and I don't ever want to feel it again.

One of the first lessons I learned in medical school and this came directly out of the dean's mouth "doctors make the worse patients". He said this to point out that we should be more sympathetic to patients, since we oursevles can't deal with pain, needles, and laying around in a bed. I proved his theory correct. I hate needles and I cried louder than the four year old getting sutures in the emergency room. She got a lollipop, I stuck my tongue out at the nurse who inserted my I.V.

My doctor decided on a lithotripsy. Nothing invasive. He would just use sonic blasts to destroy the stone and then I could pee the shattered remnants out. This sounded like the best alternative to me. No stitches, no scars and no scalpels.

After the procedure, I spent four days peeing out pink sand. Yes, it was pretty, but felt funny coming out. On the fifth day, my urine was basically clear again. Oh thank God.

The advice given? Keep myself hydrated. Keep everything flowing and not give the stones a chance to build up again. Some further tests will be done later (after my kidney rests) to try and pinpoint why this happpened. Until then I'm just suppose to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

25 Comments:

  • I'm like you, I hate hospitals and have almost never visited one ! - I never get sick, I think I am far too scared of going to a doctor which perhaps explains it !

    cheers

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:12 AM  

  • ouch...that is not a good time...

    pissing sand is a watersport for some...I'm sure...

    By Blogger LBseahag, at 12:34 AM  

  • Hydration is very impt! Docs definitely make the worst patients. I remember hitting most of the clinics w/one complaint or the other. Everything was always fine..hehehe! Stress!!! Of course the only time it was bad was when I had the swollen hands/fever experience.
    Congrats on a speedy recovery! And w/out morphine--amazing!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:18 AM  

  • Wow, that's gotta hurt. I've heard kidney stone pain likened to childbirth pain. Ooohh, that hurts !! Hope you are ok. Take care, Moew

    By Blogger Meow (aka Connie), at 1:40 AM  

  • You pissed pink? What a pretty image... not!

    I can image shards of kidney stones would hurt coming out. Couldn't you just try to lay it like an egg?

    By Blogger blackcrag, at 1:46 AM  

  • How do you get stones there? I'm a hypochondriac and I worry about every bit of illness!

    But this post reminds me not of the Rolling Stones but of the Stone Roses - such a good band. Shame to see that they have disbanded!

    PS. Be well xx

    By Blogger missy, at 2:31 AM  

  • That doesn't sound fun at all :(

    Did you keep some of the sand as a souvenier? ;)

    By Blogger Leila, at 5:36 AM  

  • Pink sand? That sounds pretty cool, actually.

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 7:14 AM  

  • Yikes. Yet another reason to drink water early and drink it often.

    -- david

    By Blogger David Amulet, at 7:22 AM  

  • sorry about the kidney stones, my mom had them she said they were more painful than giving birth. also thanks for the pics of jesus.

    By Blogger Kyle Foley, at 8:11 AM  

  • OUCHIE! I cant even imagine, but I heard it's a hella lot of pain. :( Drink Water...it's the best..

    By Blogger Cari, at 8:18 AM  

  • don't know 'bout kidney stones... i have gall stones {the gall of it all} *ouch*

    By Blogger Karen, at 9:42 AM  

  • Ouch. Glad you're better!

    Doctors are terrible patients. My dad (an orthopod) signed himself out against doc's orders once (guess he liked his own better).

    By Blogger JJ, at 10:43 AM  

  • What about cranberry juice? I thought that was supposed to be the cure all for UTI's and kidney stones? At least that's what my mom said as she shoved gallons of it down my throat when I was a kid.

    I can relate to the other pain too.. life's a bitch sometimes but it seems to get better. It has to... :)

    Visiting from Phoenix and David' A's... neat blog.

    By Blogger SK, at 11:04 AM  

  • Dear god.. never let me have kidney stones!

    By Blogger Luke, at 11:32 AM  

  • I hope that I never have kidney stones. I have always heard that it felt like pissing a sticker. Although peeing pink sand sounds kinda cool.

    By Blogger :P fuzzbox, at 11:46 AM  

  • Oh! I am so sorry to hear you had one! I had one several years ago and all I could do was srop to the floor on my knees--those suckers hurt worse than anything I have ever encountered! I hope that was your only one!

    By Blogger Chipper, at 12:07 PM  

  • My Dad gets those CHRONIC. I NEVER EVER WANT to get them EVER.

    I am going to the water machine right now, and toast a drink to you ALWAYS peeing clear my friend!

    By Blogger twolf1920, at 12:24 PM  

  • My son in law has had kidney stones before and he was in terrible pain. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemies. Good luck. Look for some herbal remedies. They do help.

    By Blogger Lucy Stern, at 12:54 PM  

  • A friend of mine had a tube attached to him for months. His kidney stone was a tough guy :-)

    By Blogger Wriju, at 12:54 PM  

  • A sonic blast to the kidney! How delightful! Where do I sign up?

    By Blogger Sweet Tea, at 4:14 PM  

  • My little brother had these and it was not a pretty picture. Glad to hear you are feeling better.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 6:09 PM  

  • I have heard that is very painful. I am sorry you had to go through that.
    Drink drink drink.
    Hope your workouts are going well. I am sore, but I think it is getting better.

    By Blogger Lee Ann, at 10:03 PM  

  • My husband had one of those, he said it was awful. Some of them are jagged and so they say it's cutting you when it comes out. At least that's what I've heard. They also told my husband no more soda and certain foods.

    By Blogger Drywall Mom, at 10:15 PM  

  • You know, I have quite a few doctors and nurses in my life, and you're right...they make the worst patients. One of them is actually a neurosurgeon, and the thing that grosses him out? Snotty tissue.

    *in an ironic twist of fate, my word verification is "gaggg"

    By Blogger Princess Pessimism, at 1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home