Shaken Not Stirred

Friday, May 25, 2007

Fountain of Youth

I just realized that I'm much younger than I thought. Nope, I didn't find a mysterious birth certificate that was hidden in my parent's attic. I'm talking mental age.

Yesterday, one of my friends called me back. Well let me set the stage. This chick has been my friend since my undergrad days. We hung out together all the time. She was one of the guys. She would get a drink with us after our Friday afternoon chemistry lab. Unlike most chicks, she would wake up at 6:30 a.m. on game day and meet us for tailgating and would sneak Jim Beam pints in her jacket for us. She was just one of the guys.

I kept in touch with her through email, through snail-mail, and now because of free minutes and nights and weekends (she's the same carrier as me) through mobile. Whenever one of us calls her, she answers right away. Doesn't matter if she's in a meeting, she takes the call. I once called her while her company was in the middle of a proposal/merger/corporate something or other (forgive me, I don't speak business) and she took the call.

Recently, on a business trip, she met some guy. It was serendipity--did I use this term correctly? Anyway, she met him at the hotel bar while waiting for her colleagues. He was waiting for his. They rode the same plane back because get this...they live in the same city!! So they are dating now. They've been dating for about six months.

I called her yesterday to bitch about something. Whine, gripe, and temper tantrums. She handles them well and makes me realize that it was never any big deal. It went through to voice mail. Okay, maybe she was in a tunnel. I called again...eight rings and then voice mail. Checked my watch 12:30 p.m. She should be at lunch. One more time...third time is always the charm. Ring..ring..ring..ring. My ring tone is "Country Roads"--no way that she would let it play that much. Voice mail again.

Oh my gosh, she's been kidnapped. She's fallen and can't get up. Some aliens have taken her. She's trapped in an elevator or a speeding bus. She slipped in the bathtub and hit her head. I panicked for a moment and then a text came through.

"Hi, sorry. Will call you back. I'm eating lunch with Craig".

WTF? You take my call during business meetings. You take my call no matter where you are...and I get blown off so you can play footsie, have a martini and eat calamari appetizers. Are you kidding me with this?

Half and hour later she called back. I watched her name flash several times on my phone. Voice mail bleep. Ring...ring..ring (no one one my phone has their own ring tone. I'm too lazy to figure out how that works. Well really I don't know how it works). Voice mail bleep. Ring...ring..ring...voice mail bleep. Bing..text message. If you can't answer me, I'm too busy watching MTV to answer you.

Text message said.."I'm so sorry. Call me later. Craig says hi".

Yeah frickin Craig says hi. I wasn't calling for him. I hope he gets indigestion and diarrhea from the martini, calamari and chocolate mousse mix in his stomach.

I know. I'm four years old.

17 Comments:

  • Us children need to be recognized and encouraged to be chlldlike. I'm starting a support group in Toronto. I'm calling it BNGU. Pronounced bingu. It means Boys Never Grow Up. I know that's out of your range, but feel free to start up a chapter in where-ever you are.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:45 AM  

  • Personally, I think her priorities were a little screwed in answering personal calls during business meetings.

    You've been spolied, and now... yes, youa re sulking like a four-year old. Go apologise to her. Profusely.

    By Blogger blackcrag, at 11:16 AM  

  • When she stops leaving a message and then you know, blacklists you from your life, that's when I think you should get mad. But seriously, don't fret, I've totally been where you are too. It's frustrating to know that you should act more mature but then not bring yourself to make a better choice. Hope the situation improves!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:15 PM  

  • Is there something going around this week? If it helps, try screaming and bitchtalking when no one is around. It helps when no one is available. By the way, I confess to being angry when we couldn't have our good old day chats. I didn't want to talk to anyone else either. There I feel better now. Not sure what I'll do when you get married or vice versa. Gotta reserve my seat for the retirement community..hehehe.

    By Blogger The Egg, at 12:26 PM  

  • Listen, buddy. Just because you didn't take an opportunity to date her doesn't mean you have to get all pissy because she likes me now.

    Get over it!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:38 PM  

  • i hope the situation gets better too.

    was that really craig? hmm.

    By Blogger megabrooke, at 2:23 PM  

  • MMMM, toughie. I am like that. I always take a call. I even ignore husband a little over that. She was doing the deed!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:08 PM  

  • It's OK having those feelings. It just sucks when you find out that you have been moved down in the relationship food chain. But I think you should wish explosive diarrhea upon him.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 6:13 PM  

  • you can be needy angel. its ok.

    By Blogger cher, at 2:21 PM  

  • I'm guilty of being accessible because of a new man in my life... guilty!

    By Blogger missy, at 5:52 PM  

  • Oh Angel, that sucks. As far as I'm concerned, friends should never dump friends for boy (or girl) friends. Friends are forever ... who knows, with boy (Or girl) friends.
    Take care, hugs, Meow

    By Blogger Meow (aka Connie), at 8:59 AM  

  • I'm still a toysrus kid myself.

    By Blogger :P fuzzbox, at 9:57 PM  

  • Jealous Angel! Craig sounds cool.

    By Blogger Big Ben, at 10:51 PM  

  • I woner if she fels like she can not speak freely to you when in the precense of "Craig".

    By Blogger Rocketstar, at 1:45 PM  

  • i've felt that way a time or too.
    not fun.
    m

    By Blogger mollymcmo, at 9:05 PM  

  • shoot thats okay. all my girl friends do that when they get a new boyfriend. I'm used to it! I hope you had a good weekend!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:41 AM  

  • I have to agree with what blackcrag said. I can't believe she would answer your call during business meetings. I don't answer calls from my wife while I'm in a meeting. It just isn't done.

    And you've been in relationships before I'm sure. You know how it is when things are new with somebody. You just want to soak them in as much as you possibly can. And since I've been married for almost ten years, believe me, six months is still new. I'm sure things will be cool with her again after a while, but possibly never quite the same. You never know, things change.

    By Blogger Duck, at 8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home