Shaken Not Stirred

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

They'll Leave The Porch Lights On

I remember growing up and thinking the houses that were half a mile away from my house, was extremely far. I saw those kids occasionally when I rode my bike through the neighborhood, I knew their names from when I would stop and introduce myself, but I never played with them or invited them over. After all, they lived so far away!!

I felt that if I couldn't hear my mother's voice when she called me in for lunch, or my father's whistle he used for me when he needed some chore done, then it was way too far away. I also felt I might get lost if darkness fell way too fast.

My parents always left the porch light on whenever dusk started to fall if my siblings and I insisted on staying outside a little longer. This usually happened during the summer months and we wanted to stay outside long enough to see lightning bugs. Those were the best. I remember wanting to catch enough to put into a jar to light up my room. I had no idea why I thought they would be able to light up my bedroom. Plus they actually smelled a little funny.

I think the reason I'm remembering those outdoor days because it's autumn and this season always makes me reminisce about summer days as a child!! Happy autumn everyone!

11 Comments:

  • I enjoy watching the cats go after fireflies. Nice summer memories. I remember the bike rides and bonfires...hey we had cool neighbors! Happy Autumn:)

    By Blogger The Egg, at 11:50 AM  

  • I am welcoming the fall days by enjoying a nice cold. I wish that sentence ended with beer instead.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 2:03 PM  

  • i love that it's getting a bit cooler in the evenings. i can't wait for the leaves to change. it's the best thing about living in ct.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:13 PM  

  • It should soooo not be autumn yet!

    When I think of this time of year, I always think about my freshman year of high school. I had my first capital "B" Boyfriend that fall and whenever he'd come over it was in the evenings when the weather first turned chilly. We'd sit outside and talk for a few hours and when my mom wanted me to come in, she'd flash the porch light on and off. Good times.

    By Blogger Katie, at 10:56 PM  

  • Every child deserves memories like that.

    By Blogger Chick, at 8:26 AM  

  • Nice post man. It reminds me of my days as a kid walking home int he dead of winter from the ice rink, the air so calm, cold and clear. Those were the days

    By Blogger Rocketstar, at 9:31 AM  

  • A half mile is a far way away? My brother and I were often 5, 6 or more miles away from home at any given time. Either on foot or bike, we were out exploring the county. I couldn't count how many times we were home after dark in the summer OR how many times one of the folks were out driving around looking for us. Maybe that's why dad is bald?

    By Blogger Aaron, at 10:48 AM  

  • I'd love some autumn weather right about now. Yesterday in my corner of the world, the thermometer hit 35 Celsius (thats 95 Fahrenheit American people) with the humidity making it feel like 41(105). CANADIANS DON'T LIKE THAT MUCH HEAT IN SEPTEMBER!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:54 PM  

  • Gosh, it feels like winter here in London. It seems like we totally missed Summer and Autumn and just went from Spring to Winter. And that's the inconvenient truth.

    My memory of this time of the year is just getting really, really excited about Christmas because the month already ends in -ber!

    By Blogger missy, at 5:28 PM  

  • Happy Autumn back to you!
    I remember making glowing rings from lightening bugs!
    Now the thought of that grosses me out.

    By Blogger Lee Ann, at 9:35 PM  

  • That sounds like heaven.

    By Blogger Tuyet, at 7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home