Shaken Not Stirred

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

What Was The Problem?

I ran into an old friend of mine. I shouldn't say my friend, actually he was a roommate's friend. But he and my roommate were such good friends that he may as well lived with us. And then one day they fought and never recovered from the fight, so he stopped coming around.

The argument was about some chick. My buddy had shown interest in this girl who was in my chemistry class. She came home with me one day to study and they sort of hit it off. I say sort of, cause I really didn't care one way or the other. I didn't like her. I just wanted someone to help me with calculations and equations. However my buddy was quite smitten with her. He would ask me to ask her to study or to go out with us. Sometimes she met us out, sometimes she didn't.

One day my buddy invited his friend to be the wing man. I guess he didn't feel I was doing my duty to push the relationship forward. I thought she was disinterested. So the other guy came. She seemed more interested in him. After a few drinks, he lost sight of his wingman goal and flew in a different direction. The next day a fight errupted. Words were said. I actually think they acted like two chicks on a reality show. I rarely saw the ex-wingman again.

Forward to today...I ran into this guy and his five-year-old son in a mall. He was in town for a conference and had brought his family with him. I would have walked by him had he not screamed "let's go Mountaineers". It had been awhile since I've seen him, so he would have just been a face in the crowd. We talked for a bit, exchanged numbers, email addresses and then said our good-byes. He didn't once mention my roommate.

Neither guy got the chick. Neither one even got to hold her hand. But unknowingly she destroyed a friendship. I guess it doesn't only happen on "Afterschool Specials" and reality shows.

14 Comments:

  • She did destroy the relationship, the roomate and his friend did. All is fair in love and war and if the guy was taking too long to get anything going after that long, he should have figured out she wasn't interested in that way or she would have made a move. The other guy on the other hand could have waited and talked to the guy first before doing that. But again, the chick was not the problem, they were the problem.

    By Blogger Drywall Mom, at 11:57 AM  

  • I've said it before and I'll say it again, women were sent to Earth by the Devil himself to destroy the hearts of all men.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:13 PM  

  • women are evil.
    men are silly.

    By Blogger cher, at 1:23 PM  

  • That friendship would've gone to shit with or without her.

    By Blogger Airam, at 9:11 PM  

  • ugh that sucks. sorry. i never understood that. i would never drop a friend for some boy. where's the loyalty?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:54 PM  

  • You don't really believe she was the demise of this relationship, do you?

    I can think of a couple guys that I've fought relentlessly with over a woman. Usually, it was a gal they were dating that was a bitch to me or someone I was dating that was a bitch to them. We've all made it through that stage and aren't dating those bitches anymore and we're still friends. :D

    Bros before hoes, as the quote goes. :D

    By Blogger Aaron, at 7:37 AM  

  • Crushes do silly things to people eh?

    By Blogger The Egg, at 11:28 AM  

  • I didn't know boys did that.

    My best friend in college slept with my boyfriend. I haven't talked to the boyfriend since, but my friend is still a huge part of my life. I count her and her husband among my closest and most valued friends. Some dude just wasn't worth it.

    Women aren't the devil... all the time.

    By Blogger The Maiden Metallurgist, at 9:28 PM  

  • Women aren't the devil ... lettuce is.

    I agree the friendship was fleeting anyway.

    By Blogger Travis Erwin, at 10:54 PM  

  • What a sad story I was hoping for a happy ending. Glad you got to see him again though. Talk about weird I dated one girl, and 1 month later was dating her roommate. Luckily all worked out well. Although I am best friends with the first girl still, never talk to the 2nd anymore. Did that make any sense? HAHA

    Mountaineers? West Virginia? Want them added to the predictions?

    By Blogger Phats, at 12:22 AM  

  • To break up a friendship, at least one of the guys should have got laid!

    By Blogger Big Ben, at 7:53 PM  

  • Men fighting over silly thinks...just like women do...who would have guessed?

    Friendships have been lost over sillier things...makes me think that I never want to be like that.

    By Blogger Chick, at 8:16 PM  

  • It isn't the first time a guy has come between two guys. It is amazing how guys lose their minds over a girl. But a good woman is worth it. Too bad she wasn't a good one.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 8:31 PM  

  • lol yes women are evil. I have an ex-friend that would always put her latest boyfriend in front of her friendship...we stop talking and then when the relationship doesn't work, she seems to appologize wanting my sole attention and friendship again until she "dumps" me for another guy. women, sheesh I sware.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home