Shaken Not Stirred

Sunday, January 20, 2008

How Do I Get Out Of This

I went out to dinner with some of my friends the other night. One of my friends was visiting from out of town and had called all of us within a 100 mile radius to come and meet him for dinner. Drinks and dining were on him and his newly-wed.

Because the wedding was such short notice (they did a fun Vegas thing), I was not able to attend. I had not met his wife prior to the wedding. I had however, talked to her on the phone several times since she would sometimes answer my buddies cell phone when I called. So I had spoken to her, my buddy mentioned her every time we talked ( "I'm in love....She's the best....I've never felt this way...The best.....).

When I walked into the restaurant, I was taken aback by her beauty. She was gorgeous. And when we conversed, she was was eloquent. She was funny, she was charming, and she could hold her own when it came to liquor.

My first blunder was while asking who needed something from the bar (and I was not drinking, but passing it on my way to the bathroom) was to ask "Amanda" if she needed something too. My buddy smiled, glared a little and said "You mean Kathy". I bit my lower lip. Amanda was his girlfriend from undergrad. They had dated all four years of college, but broke up the summer after we graduated. She smiled and said "the designated driver is allowed to blunder, besides all you guys had so many girlfriends it's difficult to remember all our names". Wow, I can see why he married her.

When saying good-bye later on in the night and making plans to meet the next day for lunch. Again, I said something like, "It was great getting to know you Amanda, I can't wait for lunch tomorrow". My buddy again corrected me, this time with a swift kick to my ankle.

"Amanda" smiled, kissed my cheek and said "Good night...I'll see you tomorrow".

I think I'm going to have to take more gingko biloba!!! Something is going to have to jump start my memory.

11 Comments:

  • OOOOhhhhhh.... she must be one in a million to forgive you for getting twice! I know women who are far less forgiving--one of them married my best friend.

    You want out of this? First of all, apologise and thank her for being so forgiving at dinner. That sould stand you in good stead if it should happen a third time (Don't let it happen a third time!).

    Next, find something you have in common, so a) you have a memory link to her actual name, and b) you can get her a little innocuous something (part of a belated wedding present?)that she likes.

    Good luck!

    By Blogger blackcrag, at 1:17 AM  

  • Does she remind you of his college girlfriend?

    By Blogger TK Kerouac, at 10:52 AM  

  • She's got what I like to call grace...(sorry for throwing another name in there).

    I think it's better to call her the wrong name, then to not call her any name at all for fear that you'll get it wrong.

    By Blogger Chick, at 11:11 AM  

  • haha. twice! that's awesome!

    By Blogger cher, at 4:53 PM  

  • From now on, call every woman you meet ma'am. Its a bit old fashioned, but you'll never get names wrong again, sir.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:03 PM  

  • lmao. well she took it way better than any girl i know would.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:55 PM  

  • Sounds like a pretty cool woman to react that way. Good for your buddy.

    By Blogger Scott, at 11:45 AM  

  • She sounds like a real catch, what a nice lady.

    By Blogger Pixie, at 3:10 PM  

  • Do what I do, never mention someone's name and then you can never get it wrong.

    By Blogger Big Ben, at 3:29 PM  

  • The power of a pretty girl....makes you forgetful! ;)

    By Blogger Lee Ann, at 10:30 PM  

  • Nintendo DS Brain Age Academy is the cure for what ails you.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home