Shaken Not Stirred

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Talents

My father wil be in charge of the music to be played for an event sometime this week. They've asked him to play the piano. When I was younger, he always played the piano, the music from the instrument floating through the air filling our whole house. He plays with such vigor that it can be heard from wherever you are in the household. No escaping it. Not only can he play the piano, but he can play the violin and the sax. All these instruments are self-taught and he plays by ear.

I wish I had studied harder when I was younger. My siblings and I had all the opportunities to really learn an instrument. We had violin lessons, flute lessons and piano lessons. Nothing came of any of them for me. I can read notes, can plunk out a song, albeit making it sound like a drowning tenor. But I don't have the grace which my father does. At all our gatherings, someone always asks him to play and everyone listens while he does.

I know it's genetic, cause my first cousin has the same talent. Casey can also play the piano. Not only can he play by ear, but he can also read notes and play. My father's sister can compose her own music. She's 80 years old this week. I didn't take the chance when I had it. But I don't think it's too late. My friend Saritha said never say never and don't look back, but forward. So I plan to start practicing again. It will sound awful and I'm sure my father's grand piano will shudder at the very thought of my immature fingers striking the keys, but I know that I can play with some sort of awkward grace. I'll just keep trying!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home