Shaken Not Stirred

Sunday, October 24, 2004

Goals

At our usual friday night dinner, Pete brought a guest--Molly (who by the way is welcome to come anytime she wants, although she lives in Tennessee. I say she make the several hour trek to meet us on Friday night at 7:15). She was quite eloquent and added to our conversation.

Molly is a vegan vegetarian (meaning she doesn't take in any meat products, but takes in the dairy products of the goats she and her husband raise on their farm). I found this to be interesting. Her reason behind choosing a vegetarian lifestyle is the ethical treatment of animals and also her belief that an animal shouldn't be killed for her needs.

I remember once trying to go vegetarian. This drove my friend Simi up a wall, cause I wouldn't eat any sort of meat. I don't remember the reason I wanted to go vegetarian--it was more fad, but the reason I vocalized was for health issues. I did not know how to properly eat, so I maintained myself on broccoli, salads and doritoes. Not very healthy. I also tried to cook several dishes from Molly Katzen's "The Enchanted Broccoli Forest" and "The Moosewood Cookbook". However, since I was in undergrad at the time, my allowance did not allow for most of the costly ingredients. So I maintained myself on stir-fried broccoli and doritoes.

Saritha has recently found a knack for eating mostly vegetables. She said that she doesn't really miss the meat. I've also found myself eating more salads lately, opting for more vegetables and less red meat. And I've realized that I feel better (although this could be psycho-somatic). But Molly certainly gave me ideas to start a semi-vegetarian lifestyle. And this time, being a medical school graduate, I can honestly say it will be for a healthier reason.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home