Shaken Not Stirred

Thursday, October 14, 2004

Seriously?

Since I've all but given up most of television, in lieu of review books, when I do watch it, it's because someone recommended it to me (thanks but no thanks to the person who raved about the idiocy of "The Benefactor", a show which I'm still pissed I gave five minutes to) or it was something that I had watched in the past, I'm on the treadmill and it's one of the news channels, or it's late at night and I'm taking a breather before bedtime.

Last night convinced me that I should never watch Lifetime Television for Women. There was this show called "The Accident: A Moment of Truth". I don't know why I was drawn into it. But I started watching it and because the acting was so bad, I wanted to keep watching in order to analyze why they kept rolling film. The actors all used monotone voices (the same ones the actors on Cinemax skin flicks use--here I go again with my Skinemax obsession). The topic of the storyline was a pretty serious one too. But this was lost in translation. Completely hidden behind some sort of drama which even soap opera fanatics would find hard to believe or follow.

So, I'm opting to read a novel instead for my nightly wind down. I've started to read "A Separate Peace" again. Such a good book. I could read this story over and over again, not get bored. I think we need to go back to the basics of reading. After all, like Rif says "reading is fundamental".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home