Shaken Not Stirred

Thursday, November 18, 2004

Commentators

I'm not knocking the sport of ping-pong. Everything that one does has some sort of skill involved with it. Maybe I'm just being prejudice because I love the sport of tennis so much (I can't play worth a hill of beans, but I love it none-the-less). But after Andy Roddick's match today on ESPN (great match to watch--Andy always keeps me at the edge of my seat--especially when he let's his opponents get so close), ESPN did live coverage of a ping-pong match. The table looked so diminutive compared to the tennis court and the stance that the players took while waiting for the ball. I'm not going to say anything mean...I'm sure they can find loads of my faults which to jump upon. But come on? Live coverage with commentators that say things like "Wow, he threw his opponent off with such skill" (something to that effect). I'll stop. Maybe it's cause I don't think of things like ping-pong as a sport. To me, ping-pong is a basement game played during childhood. It was also a college past-time. My buddy Chip Chipouras' dinning table was partly a dining table, study table and on some afternoons a ping-pong table. James Sterenberg, his roommate could often be heard screaming "I'm king of the mountain" when he won a game (I've got a picture of one of his victories. So when I think of ping-pong I think of basements and that dining room on Jones Avenue in Morgantown, West Virginia.
I've babbled again haven't I? I'll stop. I have no idea where I was even going with this entry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home