Shaken Not Stirred

Friday, November 11, 2005

Make-over Madness

What the fuck...?

One of my friends, well he isn't so much my friend as he is my mother's jeweler, attempted to give me "fashion" advice. He tried to get me to buy a Gucci laptop bag/purse/thingamajig. Not only was this purse blatantly a purse, but it had those big G's all over it, like some child's alphabet writing pad. I didn't know what to say. Uh, did he not notice I am a 5'4" Asian? I would end up looking like a Sex in the Cityish pimped up Jet-Li mobster character--just without the washboard abs, charm or karate skills. What are some people thinking? This was not advice that I could use. What makes him think I was auditioning to be the next celebutante?

Maybe, just maybe I might be able to pull something like that off in a bigger city, one where I could hide on the subway or in a crowd of people. If I was one of those fitted tee wearing, white gold jewelry wearing, manbag sporting metrosexuals, I could see the possiblity. My favorite dress-up outfit is my overalls--ask anyone from my Kaplan review classes. And if it's really formal occasion, I'll wear the rope belt with it. I was in no way digging this poor excuse for a man to carry a purse contraption. And haven't guys who tried to pull off similar fashion faux pauxs been mistaken for deer--BLAM BLAM BLAM!!!

Besides, I don't have shoes to go with it. That would have started a whole new shopping expedition.

17 Comments:

  • Yes, just say no to man purses. That will take you down a dark and dirty path.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 12:21 PM  

  • i agree. stay a way.

    By Blogger cher, at 1:24 PM  

  • Yep, the smart money stays in your pocket. Don't buy a 'brand' anything when you can help it, because you just become a walking billboard for the comapny.

    By Blogger blackcrag, at 3:44 PM  

  • Yup, I'm staying far far away from that line of accessories--backpacks if I've got extra crap to carry!!

    Totolehero--I haven't heard the FOB word in quite awhile. And yes, with the purse, and a camera I would definitely pass for one.

    By Blogger JM, at 7:32 PM  

  • the man purse, mandels, metrosexual is out out out...thanks for stopping by tonight. I thought I was the only loser out here blogging on a Friday night :)
    (but then again maybe it's not night where you are, I haven't checked where you are....

    By Blogger Cathy, at 8:28 PM  

  • yup, Friday night where you are too...

    By Blogger Cathy, at 8:30 PM  

  • Cathy, you aren't a loser! Nothing wrong with being home on a Friday night reading blogs! I'm doing it!

    By Blogger JM, at 9:47 PM  

  • Gotta stick w/your style! I can't imagine you with one of those things. I can picture the overalls though:-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:43 PM  

  • oh no, it's a man purse!!!!!!!
    That's hilarious.

    By Blogger Anhoni Patel, at 7:08 AM  

  • Made my way over from Meghan. I'm thinking the man purse isn't such a good idea in WV (I'm from WV, btw, I know!).

    By Blogger Chairborne Stranger, at 9:15 AM  

  • Overalls! Now we're talking getting all dressed up. I don't need a purse when I wear those, why heck I got a pocket for damn near everything. :0

    By Blogger Skye, at 12:29 PM  

  • Anhoni, you would have laughed harder if you saw the actual design of this thing.

    Chairborne stranger, no kidding...can you imagine sashaying through downtown Charleston with one of those things on your person?

    Skyeblu2u--definitely. I'm getting married in mine!

    Ruben, I don't think he was drinking water. I think he was gargling chlorox to have that sort of brain fart.

    By Blogger JM, at 4:11 PM  

  • man purses? NOOOOOO
    you don't need that my friend. Buy a jacket with many pockets.

    By Blogger x, at 6:05 PM  

  • Buy the Gucci bag. But then - ONLY WEAR IT WITH THE OVERALLS. That'll keep em guessing huh? LOLOL

    and wow. you DO SAY FUCK. who knew?

    By Blogger Sydney, at 7:37 PM  

  • He just wanted to move some merchandise for a pal. Buy what you like.

    By Blogger Greg - Cowboy in the Jungle, at 12:14 PM  

  • A man purse...lol. Do people REALLY use those. I thought it was just a myth... :0)

    By Blogger Lindsey, at 7:57 PM  

  • Oh no, I missed an entire MURSE thread.

    Dude, there are some decent murses out there. I've never really been a fan of them, but you can't really argue with their practicality. Check out Urban Outfitters.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home